.357 Mag Colt Python

This is a discussion on .357 Mag Colt Python within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First let wish you all a happy new year in 2005. On my way to the range I stopped at a local gun shop to ...

Thread: .357 Mag Colt Python

.357 Mag Colt Python

First let wish you all a happy new year in 2005.

On my way to the range I stopped at a local gun shop to purchase some ammo for both the Python (2.5 inch barrel) and the Glock. While talking with the guy behind the counter, somehow we started talking about the Python which he said over the years he has own several. I purchased this gun in the either in the late 60\'s or early 70\'s and it has been fired hardly at all. Anyway, back to the story: The clerk advised me not to purchase .375 mag for this gun. He said the .357 mag Python, even though it is stamped in large letters on the barrel, was never really designed the handle the mag rounds that it is really just a .38. Went on to say, once several .357\'s are shot in the gun the cylinder timing will get out of alignment and present a serious hazard to the shooter. Also stated the power of the mag ammon will cause the gun parts to become loose over time and start to fall apart. Also, with a Python, that re-timing the cylinder is a ***** and expensive to fix.

Ok guys, I\'m having a hard time swallowing this guy\'s expert opinion. I think the .375 Python is a most respected gun that many have carried over the years. I would be more that happy :D to hear back from you guys with your 2 cents.

2. Remove Ads

Python baloney

First, I am not an expert, even my wife know that.

Been a student of firearms for a while, owned a full line store for many years, and your \'expert'is full of..well for want of a better word, baloney.

Can you shoot a Python out of time, yes, and a Smith, etc. You will have to work at it. That problem would fall right before my worry about a tsumani here in Indiana, and after wondering if the sky is falling.

Shoot your gun, wear it out, have if fixed if needed, but do not worry about the strength of a Python.

DC Founder
    I agree with KC135. Back in the early 70\'s I owned both a Colt Python (.357, of course) and a Colt Diamondback (.38). If you look at those two guns side by side you will see that they are the same design but the Diamondback has been scaled down for .38 only. The Python is a much heavier gun and able to handle the .357 load. Your \"expert\" is probably one of those people that lock up the cylinder by flciking their wrist and slamming it closed (ala Hollywood).

Dont Worry about shooting a python looose or out of time with factory loads you can and it will take a loooong time...

Now the reloads i use in my ruger which are fairly hot will do it in no time and even wih a ruger i shoot them rarely

I owned a python .357 and never had a problem. Not one with 150+ grain rounds.

Trader,your guy behind the counter has got to be smoking a bad brand of crack. I have my fathers Python. Serial number check has it being cast in 1975. He had put hundred of rounds through it. When he passed away in late 2001, I bought it home,and I\'ve put many rounds through it myself. I take care of it,and it performs flawlessly.

This has been a rumor for a long time on the pythons every time i look at one i hear this matter of fact i heard it from a old timer today non gun store employee when i was looking at a python elite..

ya know if ya shoot lot of 357\'s in it sonny itll shoot loose... I told him its ok pop i just buy these to plink like my 22 when i want more power i switch to my 454 :)

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    The Python was built on a Colt frame (not the Trooper III) that was actually a .38 SPL. Of course, lots of the 1930 and 1940 .38 style revolvers had larger frames; the SW 19 was remarkable because it was smaller than had been available.

And BTW, not all Pythons are .357 Mags. A few were .38 SPL target guns, that why they have the famous \'holes'in their top rail. Colt wanted to give the barrel more weight, and then realized they gave it too much.

I had what was known as a \'fitting room'Python. Kind of like a SW from their custom shop in the present day. There was a mark of the initials of the gunsmith who made the revolver.

My Python started to spit lead about every 1,000 to 1,500 rounds, and I used lighter handloads. It was a hassle to send back for re-timing, but it felt great to shoot.

I traded it in a New York minute after I saw my first SW 29.

Thanks for all your replys and advise. :kay: I purchased this gun as a present to my father over thirty years ago and, like Cliff, brought it home just before he passed away. In all those years I would guess it has only had 6 to 12 rounds fired through it if that many. He returned it to me in mint condition. I really enjoy shooting this gun, it is so sweet to shoot, feels balanced in my hand, and is on target. I have not yet carried it as my primary and not sure why. I guess I\'m just use to carrying my glock.

Links