Bear loads?

This is a discussion on Bear loads? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many ?...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Bear loads?

How many ?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    How many ?
    Yeah, I wanna know, too.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Re: Bear loads?

The best shot placement for a bear, from any gun...... is in the air, and hope it turns around

Quote Originally Posted by 481 View Post
    It's a poorly constructed analogy. Heck, it didn't even occur to me that you were attempting one 'til you said so.

What does confusing 1/2" thick wood for 6" have to do with soft tissue penetration?

The bullet will do what it will do (it will penetrate to a certain depth and exit if the wood isn't thick enough to contain it) regardless of the wood's dimensions.

So now you've got two boards. Great.
    funny.... work on it, ok. IF you don't see the difference, it's not my issue... you take a 9mm out there and go hunting for a bear..... we'll see how well it works for you. I'm sure you'ld understand after that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Some years ago I was returning from a trip to Alaska and spotted a black bear eating grass in the ditch by the road. I have air horns on the top of my truck and for the fun of it I stopped. I hit the horn which is very loud the bear didn't even look up. I was only 25' or so away. I wouldn't rely on a noise maker to scare a bear away.

Rich

Most western bear country guides I have seen carry a shotgun loaded with slugs or a rifle chambered in 338 Win mag at the least. I guess the 454 Casull round wast developed as a bear too/
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    funny.... work on it, ok. IF you don't see the difference, it's not my issue... you take a 9mm out there and go hunting for a bear..... we'll see how well it works for you. I'm sure you'ld understand after that.
    If you wanna be "difficult" that's fine with me. It proves nothing at all.

I've never advocated a 9mm for hunting bear. As I've noted earlier in this thread, I've done quite a bit of bear hunting so I am not sure why you'd take that away from anything that I've said.

On the other hand, if a 9mm (or a .40, or a .357, or a .45) is all you have, it is best to know what the load in your gun can do in soft tissue and select accordingly- that's why I ran the numbers as I did through the Schwartz bullet penetration model. I thought that it was a pretty simply concept.

Feign obtuseness all you want. I ain't buying that you don't "get it".
    My favorite "gun" book-

How many bears can dance on the head of a pin?

Caliber wars on bears, just as on hypothetical humans, are discouraged...............

9. ........................We also discourage "caliber war" threads and strongly encourage you not to post a thread starting one. Regardless of your level of experience, caliber is a personal preference and what is right for you may not be right for others.
    For Bear, Elk, Moose, Zombies, and yes, even Leprechauns........................
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

If you wanna be "difficult" that's fine with me. It proves nothing at all.

I've never advocated a 9mm for hunting bear. As I've noted earlier in this thread, I've done quite a bit of bear hunting so I am not sure why you'd take that away from anything that I've said.

On the other hand, if a 9mm (or a .40, or a .357, or a .45) is all you have, it is best to know what the load in your gun can do in soft tissue and select accordingly- that's why I ran the numbers as I did through the Schwartz bullet penetration model. I thought that it was a pretty simply concept.

Feign obtuseness all you want. I ain't buying that you don't "get it".
    Sure thing... you got the point long ago.... and just like pushing buttons and pushing the issue, because someone disagreed with your comment. Get over yourself. I'll stick by anything I've said.
    If there was an 'ignore' button on this forum, I would have put you as the first one on mine. Feigning being clueless as to what's said all you want.

You were stating "it's all soft tissue" , and the implication to me was that you were saying a 9mm would do as good of a job on a bear, as it would a human. I don't want people going out thinking they are OK ..... due to a statement like that, when they wouldn't be.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Exclamation

There certainly is an "Ignore" Function: Click on their Name, then View Profile, and it is the fourth option down Add to Ignore List. That might solve my problems too.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    There certainly is an "Ignore" Function: Click on their Name, then View Profile, and it is the fourth option down Add to Ignore List. That might solve my problems too.
    thanks.... for the info.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    I almost hit a bear load riding my quad in the forest behind my shop today.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Sure thing... you got the point long ago.... and just like pushing buttons and pushing the issue, because someone disagreed with your comment.
    Seems you have the same problem.

You were stating "it's all soft tissue" , and the implication to me was that you were saying a 9mm would do as good of a job on a bear, as it would a human. I don't want people going out thinking they are OK ..... due to a statement like that, when they wouldn't be.
    I never said that "it's all soft tissue". I said-

My use of the Schwartz bullet penetration model was to simply predict the potential penetration of the 9mm & .38 Spcl rounds in soft (muscle/visceral) tissue. I am not sure that you can simply pronounce those numbers as being invalid just cause it's bear soft tissues. Obviously if the bullet hits bone (on any animal including humans) that changes things, but I never said that it didn't in the first place. The physics remain immutable.
    Misrepresenting what I said and then holding me accountable for your failure to comprehend what I actually wrote is awfully dishonest and pretty rude. I never implied that a 9mm would do as well on a bear as it would on a human. You, and anyone else can read for themselves what I actually said as opposed to what you claim I "implied", so save the "air of indignation" schtick for someone who'll be impressed by it.

I'll stand by all that I've said too, and I didn't have to misrepresent anything said by anyone else to make my point.

There is nothing of value to be gained by arguing with you further.
    My favorite "gun" book-

Quote Originally Posted by ANGLICO View Post
    Having been one (in the military) doing exercises (small man teams in the woods) in NC...... LOL, the Bears there are the size of very large dogs, and not quite agressive. Bear Spray and the firearm as a backup.
    I can only partially agree. We do have a large number of small bears but we have a good number of large black bears as well - and multiplying! In the county i hunt in NC (last year only 6 days of bear season) 4 over 600lbs were killed within 4 miles of my hungting area. I have one over 400lbs in my area now.
    I'm not a bear hunter myself but have a relative who has killed more than most people have read about. His choice for what it is worth is a good ole 12ga. slug.
    The thing about bears is they are often hard to kill. Hard bones, thick hide and fat - and FAST! but a perfect shot can kill one quick. IT just takes one hell of a man to execute a perfect shot on charging bear. Seems the extra weight in the rear of the pants has a dramatic effect on accuracy. But i always love these "what caliber is best for bear" etc... threads. Let's face it - if one is after you, anything is better than nothing, and a cannon ain't enough.
    Great privilege comes with great responsibility.

anything is better than nothing, and a cannon ain't enough.
    And with that, I believe the OP has had the question answered.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links