Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition? - Page 2

Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition?

This is a discussion on Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Blackheart6 Our local indoor range has banned Tulammo, Blazer, etc. They told me it was the number of malfunctions combined with new ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart6 View Post
    Our local indoor range has banned Tulammo, Blazer, etc. They told me it was the number of malfunctions combined with new shooters making for an unsafe range.
    Bull pucky. I would at lest respect the range if they told the truth...they salvage the brass and don't want aluminum in it. Odd how people avoid the truth isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Exactly! Mixed cases are sold as "dirty" brass, which gets a lower price. They see an opportunity to get a higher price by banning non-brass cases.
    This is what I initially thought but I wanted to see if I was missing something. Thanks for all the responses, I always appreciate everybody's input here! I'll look for a new range.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition?

The indoor range I go to has sign in each booth saying that aluminum or steel case ammo cannot be fired there.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    His reason is BS,they are selling the brass either for reloading,or to a salvage yard and they don't want to have to sort it,steel cases can be pulled out with a magnet,but aluminum would have to be sorted by hand
    That is the true reason
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I believe I'd find myself another range.

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Bull pucky. I would at lest respect the range if they told the truth...they salvage the brass and don't want aluminum in it. Odd how people avoid the truth isn't it?
    Yeah, I don't shoot there, I belong to a much nicer range (Green Valley, home of the Bianchi Cup), but this indoor range has a decent selection of holsters, etc. I do respect most of the employees (most have some very interesting backgrounds), and didn't care to argue at the time.

Re: Range prohibits CCI Blazer, all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition?

I live in the area and hate Targetmaster. But French Creek Outfitters outside Phoenixville, PA also bans anything but brass.

I belong to a local private gun club with an indoor and 3 different distance outdoor ranges and trap house which allow you to shoot anything but 50bmg or full auto. Costs $60/year for the whole family.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Exclamation Nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by SnubMan View Post
    I went to a range yesterday in Chaddsford PA (Targetmaster Indoor Firearm Range and Gun Shop) and they prohibit CCI Blazer and all other aluminum cased, steel cased ammunition. They had signs posted all over the building and I asked a range officer why and he said that it causes problems with the ventilation system. I have never seen a rule like this before. Does anyone know why this would be a problem? Thanks.
    My indoor range also prohibits aluminum and steel. But their claim is "it's a safety issue"!
    They say such casings have burst during firing and are therefore not safe!

It's all a bunch of crap!

There are (at least) 2 issues relating to aluminum and steel casings that seem to come up:
    1. Are they US made or foreign? Foreign may not meet SAMMI standards!
    2. Handgun vs. rifle cartridges. Some foreign made rifle cartridges with steel casings have been a problem.

I emailed Blazer about their aluminum based cases and they indicate their products meet SAMMI standards and are safe.

I think the REAL problem is how to cheaply separate aluminum from brass without employing people!
    msgt/ret likes this.

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RayL View Post
    My indoor range also prohibits aluminum and steel. But their claim is "it's a safety issue"!
    They say such casings have burst during firing and are therefore not safe!

It's all a bunch of crap!

There are (at least) 2 issues relating to aluminum and steel casings that seem to come up:
    1. Are they US made or foreign? Foreign may not meet SAMMI standards!
    2. Handgun vs. rifle cartridges. Some foreign made rifle cartridges with steel casings have been a problem.

I emailed Blazer about their aluminum based cases and they indicate their products meet SAMMI standards and are safe.

I think the REAL problem is how to cheaply separate aluminum from brass without employing people!
    Your last sentence says it all. I think you're 100% correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Retired LEO
    NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Exactly! Mixed cases are sold as "dirty" brass, which gets a lower price. They see an opportunity to get a higher price by banning non-brass cases.
    Old Vet is the winner! Salvage companies around here reduce their payout by at least 30% for "dirty" brass. I used to sell aluminum housings and old electric motor parts to a salvage yard along with miscellaneous steel scrap. The salvage yard weighed the whole load and paid 25% of aluminum value because of the steel in the load. They used to "throw in" 10% for the copper windings in the old motors, just because they liked us, and then they charged us to haul it. What it basically boiled down to is that the salvage company hauled our scrap metal for free and made whatever they could on the load. Anything they paid us was party money.

For each metal you introduce to a scrap load, the salvage company reduces it's value by some given percentage. Each salvage company has their own multiplier, but as soon as they see any steel or aluminum in that load of brass, their multiplier kicks in.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

CCI are so power full the range can't allow them.
    Ok nobody wants the worthless casing mixed in with the brass.

Quote Originally Posted by talkglock View Post
    or they don't want those cases mixed in with the spent brass casings that they probably sell to somebody for reloading.
    BINGO.

"When you hear hoofbeats, think of horses not zebras"

Quote Originally Posted by onacoma View Post
    Also the the primers and powder of the steel case, unless it the new Hornady, are corrosive and this maybe a problem.
    Huh?

Combloc surplus stuff, like older 7.62x54 or 7.62x39, is definitely corrosive, but recent production Tula or Wolf is not. If it was, there would be an awful lot of unhappy AK/SKS/AR owners out there.

Holy Necro!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links