Who can tell me what bullet is in the rounds?

This is a discussion on Who can tell me what bullet is in the rounds? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ammo .223/5.56 NATO BVAC 62 Grain FMJ 20 Round Box 3000 fps 1280 ft/lbs. Self Defense and Hunting Ammunition Who makes a 62 grain bonded ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By atctimmy
  • 1 Post By aus71383

Thread: Who can tell me what bullet is in the rounds?

VIP Member

Re: Who can tell me what bullet is in the rounds?

A bonded fmj for controlled expansion?!?! :what:

A round is ONE bullet.

VIP Member
    Clearly you two are really on top of these things.

Can anyone else tell me what bullet is loaded in these cartridges.
    Brad426, daveb413 and lchamp like this.

Try the BVAC 62gr OTMRP. Lead core with a soild copper base. Not too expensive and so far has been plenty for hog hunting. I plan on keeping some for SD use.

Just try to leave some for me. I'm going to panic buy some more next payday.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Wow. I think this is the most confusing thread I have read in quite some time.

I went to the link in the OP - and it is clearly for FMJ bullets. The box in the picture says "XM855" which would indicate the SS109 mild steel core "green tip" bullet used in NATO spec M855 ammunition.

There doesn't appear to anything "bonded" going on at all. I would guess that part of the description was "copied and pasted" from somewhere else by mistake.

This one looks bonded - .223 Remington BVAC PSP 64 Grain 20 Round Box 2870 fps Pointed Soft Point Bonded Bullet - at least I know there is such a thing as a bonded 64 grain bullet in .22 caliber. Never heard of a 62 grain bonded bullet in .22 - and certainly not a "bonded" "FMJ".

Austin
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Wow. I think this is the most confusing thread I have read in quite some time.

I went to the link in the OP - and it is clearly for FMJ bullets. The box in the picture says "XM855" which would indicate the SS109 mild steel core "green tip" bullet used in NATO spec M855 ammunition.

There doesn't appear to anything "bonded" going on at all. I would guess that part of the description was "copied and pasted" from somewhere else by mistake.

This one looks bonded - .223 Remington BVAC PSP 64 Grain 20 Round Box 2870 fps Pointed Soft Point Bonded Bullet - at least I know there is such a thing as a bonded 64 grain bullet in .22 caliber. Never heard of a 62 grain bonded bullet in .22 - and certainly not a "bonded" "FMJ".

Austin
    Hmm interesting. That too is why I am confused. It seemed weird.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Try the BVAC 62gr OTMRP. Lead core with a soild copper base. Not too expensive and so far has been plenty for hog hunting. I plan on keeping some for SD use.

Just try to leave some for me. I'm going to panic buy some more next payday.
    .223/5.56 NATO New Mil-Spec OTMRP 62 Grain 20 Round Box 2800 fps Penetrator Bullet Lake City Brass

Is this what you are talking about?

A copper bonded / covered core. The copper will split upon impact, and the core being softer will expand. IT's considered an FMJ, because the outer is a full metal covered bullet.... it's not a hollow point. An FMJ .... full metal "jacket" ... means just that, it doesn't mean a "solid" bullet of one material.

that's my .02 cents.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I think Eagleks is talking about the Mk 318 Mod 0 SOST "Barrier Blind" ammo. I think the link to the "Cheaper than Dirt" stuff is definitely M855. If only based on the price....

Here is the other stuff Federal MK318 MOD-0 5.56 62 Grain SOST (100 Rounds) In Stock! Federal MK318 MOD-0 5.56 62 Grain SOST [T556TNB1-100] - $99.95 : US Armorment, The Art & Science of Shooting. Shop For Shooting Supplies, Ammunition, Rifle Scopes, Gun Parts & Accessories

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-2810

Austin

Sponsor
    Timmy,
    I can't tell you who manufactures the XM855 62gn bullet but Master Cast has machine pulled M855 green tip, enhanced penetration, 62gn bullets for $95/1000.
    I've been using their machine pulled 55gn fmj for a few years and have no problems with them. You have to run them through a Lee .223 bullet sizing die to make sure that they are round but it takes little time. I'm sure the machine pulled bullets would not be the best choice for 600yd bull's eye shooting but they are fine at 200yd and probably good for minute-of-man shooting to 300yds.
    Last edited by luvmy40; November 11th, 2012 at 10:26 AM.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Yes. I thought you said you were looking for a good 62gr bonded. These arent bonded but they're supposed to be good barrier penetrators.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Here is a link to their contact information: Bitteroot Valley Ammunition & Components - 2011

Call them and get straight from the horse's mouth, instead of us guessing!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

There are a couple of bonded 62's out there

Ammo .223 Remington Remington Premier Core-Lokt Ultra PSP 62 Grain 3100 fps
    Federal Fusion Ammo 223 Remington 62 Grain Spitzer Boat Tail Box of 20
    Federal Tactical Bonded 62gr .223 Bonded SP (OUT OF STOCK) at G and R Tactical

And I agree that the ammo listed in the original post is nothing more than steel core 62 grain FMJ like what the military uses.

Sponsored Links