.223 and 12ga over penetration concerns - Page 2

.223 and 12ga over penetration concerns

This is a discussion on .223 and 12ga over penetration concerns within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by revldm I wonder about the wisdom of using a long gun for home defense. It would be hard to move around in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .223 and 12ga over penetration concerns

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I wonder about the wisdom of using a long gun for home defense. It would be hard to move around in the house with the long barrel.A hand gun would be easier to use IMO. I just bought a S&W mp15 but that is just in case I ever need a rifle for longer range. I also wonder about the .223 round? How effective is it against a human target? It seems like such a small bullet.
    I concur with the above comments.

A number of months ago when my ADT burglar alarm siren went off at 3:00 A.M. and after I scraped myself off the ceiling, I grabbed my Remington 870 Express loaded w/ 00 buck. Long story short...

The alarm was so deafening you couldn't hear yourself think, much less hear a telephone. So I needed to carefully make my way across the house to silence the alarm panel located in the kitchen. As I was leaving the master bedroom it was apparent my long gun was too difficult to effectively operate around corners, so I back tracked and retrieved my SP101 .357 revolver loaded with Critical Defense ammo.

Admittedly, I'd never practiced clearing my home as I never expected to. Never even thought about what would happen if the alarm went off and how I would silence it from the bed room. Learned a few valuable lessons and holes in my security that night.

Fortunately, it turned out to be a false alarm from the basement motion detector. I'm guessing a spider might have walked across the face of the sensor? It took the Sheriff's deputy :30 minutes to find and get here, as I'm not trained or comfortable to clear my house myself.

Also from first hand experience, if you have a watch dog indoors, when that siren goes off, mine went yelping and running around like crazy from the ear piercing siren. That's another distraction to be aware of.

I disagree with #7-1/2 bird shot not being a man stopper at home defense distances. I've shot spoiled meat, watermelons, cantaloupes, garden vegetables at 5-7-10 yards for sport in the back yard. Nothing left except a nice "garden salad"!
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by revldm View Post
    I wonder about the wisdom of using a long gun for home defense. It would be hard to move around in the house with the long barrel.A hand gun would be easier to use IMO. I just bought a S&W mp15 but that is just in case I ever need a rifle for longer range. I also wonder about the .223 round? How effective is it against a human target? It seems like such a small bullet.
    First, you need to understand most handguns are crap fighting weapons. Handgun rounds at handgun velocity only damage the tissue directly in front of them. They crush tissue. Rifle rounds on the other hand, traveling at about 3 times the velocity damage much more than the tissue directly in front of them. Almost any rifle round will have superior 'stopping power' than any handgun round.

An AR-15 is an excellent defense weapon. First, the stopping power of a .223 round is much greater than a duty caliber handgun round. Second, I have 30 of those rounds. Third, I have extremely fast follow up shots and barely any recoil. Fourth, I have accessories attached to the rifle that enhance the effectiveness of the platform such as a weapons light, sling and red dot sight. Lastly, with the properly selected ammunition the .223 cartridge will penetrate less than a 9mm or .45, even when they're loaded with quality JHP ammunition. Just released today, here is Brassfetcher's slow motion footage of an M193 5.56 cartridge in ballistics gelatin. 5.56x45mm 55gr FMJ M193 slow motion ballistic gelatin - YouTube This is FMJ... now compare that to a premium defensive loading in 9mm: SLOW MOTION 9x19mm Luger Remington 147gr Golden Saber impacting ballistic gelatin - YouTube

Please view this enlightening video regarding rifles for home defense, specifically an AR-15. Rifles for Home Defense - YouTube
    Shotguns are also excellent stoppers. A 00 buck load is similar to 8-9 handgun bullets traveling downrange at once. This video shows buckshot vs handgun rounds in ballistic gelatin. Comparative Lethality of Individual Shotgun Pellets slow motion ballistic gelatin - YouTube I would prefer a #1 buck or #4 buck load if I'm in the home.
    Last edited by Fisher10; November 13th, 2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Added links to videos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links