Range report .38 Special JHP

This is a discussion on Range report .38 Special JHP within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So after plinking with the hunting rifles and feeling good about Opening Day this Saturday, I paid homage to TNOutdoors9 from You Tube. I'd collected ...

Thread: Range report .38 Special JHP

Range report .38 Special JHP

So after plinking with the hunting rifles and feeling good about Opening Day this Saturday, I paid homage to TNOutdoors9 from You Tube. I'd collected milk jugs since this summer, filled them with water and hauled them out to my buddies land for a shoot. Blasting 8 pounds of water with a 30-30 is fun but testing .38 JHP is even better. Below are pictures. The NYCLAD hollow points stopped in the 3rd jug. The lighter JHP's stopped in the 2nd gun. NO pictures or video of the shoot, there were only two of us and a very large storm front moving in quickly.
    The Round nosed in the center got caught trying to exit a 4x4 piece of treated. It was just mm's from getting through. All shots were from my S&W Model 442 hammerless at @ 15 feet.
    Jim

DSCN3444.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg
    DSCN3448.jpg
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    What did you shoot them from?

S & W Model 442, hammer-less. My first pistol purchase 10 years ago last month.
    Jim

Good post. I have a few dozen milk jugs just waiting to be taken to the range to compare the .380 to the 38sp+P. Did you try any 158 gr lead semi hollow points or plus P loads ?

Fun, Fun! I kinda of did the same thing yesterday with my bow, 44 mag, and model 642 38spl.

My favorite load is the 158 weight swc bullet, especially the Laser Cast.

My back stop was an old cabinet door made of 1/4 hardwood. My handloads made nice full caliber holes thru them.

Going hunting again in the morning with the wife, so I was seeing what I shot the best between the bow and 44. Out to 50 yards it's a toss up. But because of thick brush, I'll take the 44.

I am always pleasantly suprised with the little j frame and it's performance. It is my " always " gun. For everyday realistic personal protection, I just think they are the very best. The j frames deserve more attention than they get.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    So after plinking with the hunting rifles and feeling good about Opening Day this Saturday, I paid homage to TNOutdoors9 from You Tube. I'd collected milk jugs since this summer, filled them with water and hauled them out to my buddies land for a shoot. Blasting 8 pounds of water with a 30-30 is fun but testing .38 JHP is even better. Below are pictures. The NYCLAD hollow points stopped in the 3rd jug. The lighter JHP's stopped in the 2nd gun. NO pictures or video of the shoot, there were only two of us and a very large storm front moving in quickly.
    The Round nosed in the center got caught trying to exit a 4x4 piece of treated. It was just mm's from getting through. All shots were from my S&W Model 442 hammerless at @ 15 feet.
    Jim

DSCN3444.jpg

DSCN3446.jpg
    DSCN3448.jpg
    Do you happen to know the weight of the lead round nose bullet?
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Very cool. Thank you for testing... But also taking the time to share what you found. I have been meaning to test those same federal hydroshocks along with some other and have been interested in how they perform. I've never noticed/ seen those nyclad bullets before. They seem like an interesting round.

That Nyclad box looks old. Had them for a while? Been looking for some myself. You mean you were actually able to hit something with a snubby? You are apparently an expert marksman, according to a lot of people.

Love my 442 and carry it everywhere. Sometimes it gets company but it is always with me. Looks like yours does just fine.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Links