Scary G30 misfire today (Pics)

This is a discussion on Scary G30 misfire today (Pics) within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today I headed down to the range to practice with my G30. Right away things didn't seem right. Several times when I went to "pinch" ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scary G30 misfire today (Pics)

Scary G30 misfire today (Pics)

Today I headed down to the range to practice with my G30. Right away things didn't seem right. Several times when I went to "pinch" the barrel as a check to see if a round was in the chamber and I was unable to move the slide back, but I was able to fire the round. I recently installed a FireDragon barrel and had put 100-150 rounds of lead through it with no apprent problems. But, of course this came to mind right off the bat. I also just put AGrips on, so I was worried this might be screwing things up as well.

Then after firing a couple of rounds, the slide became really stuck (unable to move back w) and this time I could not shoot the round. When I finally got it open, a shell came out, but when I took a look in the chamber there was a bullet in there! Some of the brass looked like it was coming out chrimped too.

Any thoughts? Could it be the reloads (the store I buy them from been a bit shady lately - lots of FFE rounds). Thanks!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

Might be ammo related. Not familiar with FireDragon barrels either.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

If your shooting re-loads my bet is thats the problem,,,sounds like a light powder charge or no powder at all,, primer popped and just enough force and bullet lodged

Quote Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
    Might be ammo related. Not familiar with FireDragon barrels either.
    http://www.efkfiredragon.com/index.php

Assistant Administrator
    I am thinking something more like case length/sizing aspects. If a round is chambered but wants to ''stick'' then slide pull back for press check could be well stiff if round fitting over tight - normally with regular taper crimp they will expand to chamber of firing and feed freely.

Other thing - OAL for bullet style, maybe excessive - like effectively not enough freebore and bullet maybe engaging too soon.

If loads were squib they'd sound and feel like that.

If you'd fired 100 plus already then I can hopefully assume chamber dimensions are OK. But what did the fired brass look like from those previously shot? OK I assume?
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    I would say your problem is "out of spec ammo" related.

Take it from the guy who used to buy 2,000 round BULK lots of the cheapest, dirtiest, absolute rock bottom worst mixed brass "Final Reload" .45 acp lead round nose ammunition in Pennsylvania.

It's an ammo problem (in general) plus it seems like you had a squib in there also.

Good thing that you caught that.

Suggestion: Clean your barrel really well and then run about 20 rounds of good factory through your pistol...that should give you your answer in a hurry.

I have never seen a bad FireDragon barrel.
    Their quality control is A #1 and every barrel gets speced & checked before it gets sold.

I'm shooting w/ a FireDragon in my C Commander these days.

Total I've bought 4 of their barrels and all were flawless.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm going to clean the pistol and put some factory loads through it next week.

Lead Moderator
    Personally, I would not trust some one else to reload my ammo.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Personally, I would not trust some one else to reload my ammo.
    Even a gun store?

VIP Member
    I might be looking too much into the pics, but the brass looks like still has a bit of bell.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mass-Diver View Post
    Even a gun store?
    Even a gun store. Factory ammo is all mechanical, otherwise I will load my own, that way I know it is loaded correctly , spec'ed and safely done.
    If you are trusting someone else , you do not know how alert, safe or sober someone was while reloading. Or if the ammo was inspected before or after reloading.
    If you have any non fired reloads left, try dropping 1 in the barrel(while out of the gun) If it drops in all the way, the brass/bullet is in spec. If not something is sized wrong. (brass or the bullet is not seated deep enough)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Its either a reload problem or a tight chamber since you said the brass looks like its comming out crimps i would check chamber try a factory round and see what it does in loading ]

See if maybe its criming the brass as it chambers

Seating

Looks and sounds to me like the bullets are not seated deep enough into the case. Also possible that Fire Dragon's barrel's throat may be a little short. Since some of the cartridges fired OK, I would look at overall length (OAL).

I load my own and there are only a few people whos reloads I would trust.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Even a gun store?
    Considering you called the gun store 'shady,' what do you think?

Have you considered shooting some factory ammo and seeing what turns up? Do you have this problem with factory ammo? That would go some ways to helping determine if the cause is the ammo or the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Considering you called the gun store 'shady,' what do you think?

Have you considered shooting some factory ammo and seeing what turns up? Do you have this problem with factory ammo? That would go some ways to helping determine if the cause is the ammo or the barrel.

I bought 2 boxes of factory ammo that I'm going to try tommorow or Tuesday. I also have one box of the questionable reloads left that I might try through my S&W 457 which I know shoots anything - I've put well over 1,000 rounds of all sort of ammo through it without a single failure, so if it can't handle the reloads I know it's the ammo.

I'm in MA, there is one gun shot within 1 hour drive :( I'm really down on this shop though and few years ago I bought a whole bunch of .40 reload that were junk.

My club only allows lead ammo inside (or else I would always shoot factory ammo). Not to sound like a complete idiot, but do they even make lead factory ammo?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links