How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test

This is a discussion on How to Test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I got a 1,000rnd case of russian surplus ammo called Klimovsk. Because it was advertised as Non-Corrosive & the box said the same, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: How to test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive test

How to test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive test

So I got a 1,000rnd case of russian surplus ammo called Klimovsk. Because it was advertised as Non-Corrosive & the box said the same, I assume it was. After purchasing the case, I read a little more into the ammo online & found out some people were complaining that their Klimovsk was indeed corrosive. This got me a little worried and when I received it in the mail, I made sure to test it before firing through my AK.

This test is SUPER SIMPLE & uses common household tools. I recommend everyone who buys any sort of surplus ammo, test it before firing (or buying a case!) This process can be used on any caliber.

ofdesp, lchamp, wraithls1 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Ads

Nice little test there, thats crazy how corrosive those primers really are...

VIP Member

How to test Your Ammunition for Corrosive Primers - Corrosive vs. Non-Corrosive test

Cool test! Thanks for posting that.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    In the words of Artie Johnson..................

Veerryyy Interesting!

I have some Russian Crap from the 90's.

I have shot some of it. I have also cleaned the firearm pretty much right afterwards
    Is this the only thing you have to look out for is if you do not clean the firearm right away????
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Way cool! How did you figure this one out?
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Nice little test there, thats crazy how corrosive those primers really are...
    Thanks man, yea seriously the salts start attacking your firearm right away.

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    Cool test! Thanks for posting that.
    Thanks man, No Problem!

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    In the words of Artie Johnson..................
    Veerryyy Interesting! I have some Russian Crap from the 90's. I have shot some of it. I have also cleaned the firearm pretty much right afterwards
    Is this the only thing you have to look out for is if you do not clean the firearm right away????
    Well atleast you clean it right away, because when using non-corrosive ammo, there is no need.
    You do need to make sure you are cleaning it properly & using cleaners that break down salts. As you may know, most using corrosive ammo run water (usually hot) down the barrel & gas tube before proceeding with the cleaning. Some also spray Windex... Make sure to always get the gas tube cleaned as well, rust will build up like crazy in there.
    Other than a full thorough cleaning, you'll be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Way cool! How did you figure this one out?
    I actually read about this test a while back when researching corrosive ammo. I also remember the writer making the process sound much more complicated than it really is. Glad you liked it!

I've found that the corrosive stuff tends to be a little more accurate, but that may be just loading. Either way, no reason to be worried about corrosive ammo as long as you clean accordingly. Need to know what you are shooting though, the test makes it pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    I've found that the corrosive stuff tends to be a little more accurate, but that may be just loading. Either way, no reason to be worried about corrosive ammo as long as you clean accordingly. Need to know what you are shooting though, the test makes it pretty clear.
    Nah, there's no possible way it's more accurate. The corrosivity comes from the primer, which doesn't effect accuracy.
    Yep, you need to know if your ammo is corrosive or not, so that you clean accordingly and timely.

mkh
    Thanks for the info. I've just trusted the supplier but since you bought corrosive ammo that was falsely labeled I'll start checking from now on.

Cool test!

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've just trusted the supplier but since you bought corrosive ammo that was falsely labeled I'll start checking from now on.
    For sure man. Yea your better safe than sorry, and if it does turn out to be falsely labeled, most places will take care of you.
    Happy shooting!

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Cool test!
    Glad you liked it!

Good illustrative video - thanks. I guess I don't really understand the 'fear' of corrosive ammo. The salts produced by the corrosive primers are water soluble. All it takes is a flush with hot water followed by a blow off with compressed air to dry the components. Then clean like you normally would. Obviously, as seen in the video, the sooner you do this the less chance there is for rust formation. I've been shooting corrosive milsurp ammo for years and have never had a rust issue. Not that big a deal really.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Distinguished Member Array lchamp's Avatar
    Interesting test. I guess I'm OCD about cleaning. The trip to the range isn't complete until the guns have been cleaned and oiled.

Quote Originally Posted by swmp9jrm View Post
    Good illustrative video - thanks. I guess I don't really understand the 'fear' of corrosive ammo. The salts produced by the corrosive primers are water soluble. All it takes is a flush with hot water followed by a blow off with compressed air to dry the components. Then clean like you normally would. Obviously, as seen in the video, the sooner you do this the less chance there is for rust formation. I've been shooting corrosive milsurp ammo for years and have never had a rust issue. Not that big a deal really.
    Quote Originally Posted by lchamp View Post
    Interesting test. I guess I'm OCD about cleaning. The trip to the range isn't complete until the guns have been cleaned and oiled.
    Thanks guys. Glad everyone likes the test.
    I like keeping my guns clean too, but I also don't like spending more time cleaning than I do shooting.
    If I hit the range for an hour and put 100rnds through my AK, there is no way I should have to break it down and deep clean it.
    She'll run like a champ for a couple thousand rounds as long as it's non-corrosive.
    Not saying I go to that extreme... but I could...
    Thanks for the input guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Cdog View Post
    Thanks guys. Glad everyone likes the test.
    I like keeping my guns clean too, but I also don't like spending more time cleaning than I do shooting.
    If I hit the range for an hour and put 100rnds through my AK, there is no way I should have to break it down and deep clean it.
    She'll run like a champ for a couple thousand rounds as long as it's non-corrosive.
    Not saying I go to that extreme... but I could...
    Thanks for the input guys!
    You know...

You may want to check out some of the AK's that get used over in the Hindu Kush--thousands, if not tens of thousands of rounds through these rifles, pretty much all corrosive, and rarely if ever cleaned.

And they run quite well.

Just a little perspective.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links