Mauser HSc feed issues

Mauser HSc feed issues

This is a discussion on Mauser HSc feed issues within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I recently acquired a Mauser HSc and it is having feed issues with the Hornaday critical defense ammunition. The pistol does not have any feed ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Good Old Joe

Thread: Mauser HSc feed issues

Mauser HSc feed issues

I recently acquired a Mauser HSc and it is having feed issues with the Hornaday critical defense ammunition. The pistol does not have any feed issues with round nose ammunition. I am sure that the simple fix is not trying to feed it the ammunition that is 60 to 70 years newer than the firearm. I am probably going to look into some reduced recoil hollow point for the wife. I figure shot placement is more important than the type of bullet and if I give her reduced recoil then she would be able to keep on target more easily one way or another.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Quote Originally Posted by killam1357 View Post
    I recently acquired a Mauser HSc and it is having feed issues with the Hornaday critical defense ammunition. The pistol does not have any feed issues with round nose ammunition. I am sure that the simple fix is not trying to feed it the ammunition that is 60 to 70 years newer than the firearm. I am probably going to look into some reduced recoil hollow point for the wife. I figure shot placement is more important than the type of bullet and if I give her reduced recoil then she would be able to keep on target more easily one way or another.
    I owned a Mauser HSc years ago and it had feed problems with anything except "ball" (FMJ) ammo, until I did a little work on the feed ramp and I knew others who had the same issue.

You didn't say whether yours is a .32 ACP or .380. My reply here will focus on the .380.

Before you invest any money in having a gunsmith work on the feed ramp, I would try both the Corbon Pow'RBall and Glaser Safety Slug. Both rounds have a plastic ball in the hollowpoint cavity on the tip of the bullet that gives these bullets the profile of a full metal jacket round and they very frequently feed well in pistols like the HSc without any modification to the pistol.

Any .380 ammo is a "reduced recoil" round, so you can forget about looking for a reduced recoil round. The HSc is a hefty pistol in this caliber and felt recoil is mild.

I prefer the Corbon Pow'RBall, but there are those who like the Glasers.

Just Google both rounds and you'll see what I mean about the shape of the bullet. I know many people with older Walther PP series .380s who use the Corbon Pow'RBall so they don't have to modify their vintage pistols.
    garythomas likes this.

Sponsored Links