Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp

This is a discussion on Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I carry a 1911 for self defense and was considering switching to this ammo for my ccw needs ( I carry corbon in ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp

Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp

Hi all,
    I carry a 1911 for self defense and was considering switching to this ammo for my ccw needs ( I carry corbon in the 165gr +p load now and recoil is NOT a issue for me). The 1911 has a 3.5" barrel & is the reason I am currently carrying the165 gr loading, I'm trying to keep the velocity up since the barrel is on the shorter side. Would there be any plus for me to switch to either of the above rounds for self defense carry over the corbon 165gr +P hollow point I'm carrying now.
    If you do indeed think I'm better off with one of the above federal rounds, please let me know which of the two you would consider being the better round to go with and why, I'm also wondering what would make one round better than the other & why ( Bonded vs. Tactical )
    Thanks
    G

2. Remove Ads

Yes IMO the HST is better than the corbon loads, might not be as fast as the 165gr but it has better expansion and a 230gr bullet, also it performs very well Ive tested it through lots of different things and it expands everytime, the +p HST's is what I carry as well in my Glock30,
    Here are some pics of the HST

Re: Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp

I tested some of the other tactical jhp from federal and they don't feed very well on my glock... Expansion was ok but nothing like the HST's ...when i get a chance i will post pics of those rounds,

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I don't know why you would want to spend the money testing two new types of ammo. If you have Corbons all copper bullet, it will have the higher velocity you want for a short barrel, and is a proven performer.

Before you spend money you don't have to, read this thread from DC a few years back.

DPX VRS Hornady Critical defense

Make sure to read post 11, it's the best argument for Corbon I've read. It should be a good reminder why you bought Corbon to begin with. I'm not sure why you are wanting to switch though.

I keep one of my beside firearms which is a Springfield XDM 45 4.5 loaded with Federal HST 230 grain +P for home defense.
    Last edited by Bigpoppa48; November 25th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.

Who cares? Its a 45, almost half an inch from the beginning. Just pick one you shoot well, feeds reliably, and call it a day.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Re: Federal 45acp 230gr+p le tactial hst hp vs. 230gr+p le bonded tactial hp

Here are a few pics of some different .45 rounds I've tested..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Links