Hornady Critical Defense Ammo - Page 2

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Youtube video's on the CD's are impressive...............

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Youtube video's on the CD's are impressive............

I have some leftover rounds of Critical Defense in a few calibers that I bought to test them out. They're not bad, but I prefer others. The main draw for CD is that the polymer tip allows it to expand reliably without clogging the hollow cavity. They call it "controlled expansion." I call it insufficient expansion. Yes, I know that penetration is more important than expansion, and that shot placement trumps all. But there again, CD falls short (at least in my mind) because they use lighter bullets so penetration is also compromised. So in short, you have a light bullet that may not penetrate to effective depths and only expands to approx 1.5 times original diameter. I think I'll stick with Gold Dots and HST's, both of which provide better penetration and expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent2006 View Post
    Also, what about Corbon DPX? I have some 9MM 115+P and have heard they have excellent penetration and expansion.
    I like the DPX. I carry them in my 38 special. Only downfall with this bullet I can see is the price. But you know what they say about the price of your life...

To date, they are the only ammo that my Kimber doesn't like. The steep feed ramp from such a small-framed .45 seems to be where the tip of those things like to hang up and not even feed into the chamber by attempting to briskly rack the slide. How do they shoot? I have no idea. I bought a box to try them out and when twice in a row failed to feed one in by racking the slide and they hung up, I got rid of them.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    I had trouble with the .380 but switched to Gold Dots.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Some" gun models have an issue feeding CD due to its bullet shape. If it feeds in your gun and it's what you want to carry, do so. Much too much hype is placed on this brand over that brand. Put a hole in the BG and move on.
    Sarge65 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

After testing out the Critical Duty and seeing how it did in my short barrel PM40 it's what I use in that pistol now and probably forever. I would run HST, but for some reason this particular PM40 jams on the 6th round. Doesn't do it with the Critical Duty. I keep the Critical Defense around for testing purposes, but don't carry it.

I tested both flavors of 9mm and the 40 earlier this year.

9mm test:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady Critical Duty 9mm 135 Grain Standard and +P test

40 S&W test:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Hornady Critical Duty 40 S&W 175 Grain FlexLock Terminal test

I've also tested Critical Defense a few times. Here's a head to head test of the CD 9mm vs. CD 380.
    Pocket Guns and Gear: Another Realistic 380 ACP Vs. 9mm test With Hornady Critical Defense

100% agree with the folks above that recommend Gold Dots.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I use it in my short barreled and under powered calibers. Generally I only use it in my little .380 ACP. It feeds well, penetrates to acceptable depths, and expands well every time. Now in my full sized 9mm, I go with the Hornady Critical Duty. Greater performance to penetrate barriers like auto glass.

I have shot both from my SW Model 649. I have to say I prefer the Speer GD, short barrel 135 grain JHP, .357 mag loads. This is what I carry. I have total confidence with this cartridge.

i usehornady critical duty in my sig p250 sc . it seems to be a good .40 cal round . i brelieve it is a 165 gr round but not sure. i dont get into the research and comparisons to the last detail of a round. to me shot placement is more important. if you cant hit your target it doesnt matter what round you are using unless its a scattergun.

Do any of you have any opinions on Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition? I have been using Speer Gold Dot and Federal Hydra Shok for years and have always had excellent performance. However, I tested several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense and found it fed reliably in all my firearms and had noticeably less recoil in my J Frame Model 642. I also like it's performance in short barrel guns. I know almost all the reviews on Cabela's were 5 star reviews. So do any of you use Hornady Critical Defense or have an experience with it. I may also pick up the Critical Duty for testing.
    I switched to Federal 90 gr Hydra-Shok in my LCP. American Rifleman published an analysis some time ago comparing SD rounds of most manufacturers and showing them by caliber. Hornaday Critical defense had a 9.3 inch penetration and a 1.18 expansion factor. Meaning it didn't penetrate very far and barely expanded. Not a very incapacitating round. The Federal, by comparison, had a 11.5 inch penetration and a 1.66 expansion factor. Repeated studies have shown that more expansion creates much more tissue damage and tissue destruction.

The Speer Gold Dot's figures were 11.0 inches penetration and 1.55 expansion factor.

Here's the link to the article. It's the best I've ever seen on comparisions of SD ammunition. Handgun Stopping Power: Sizing Up Your Options

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    But Hydra-shoks are outdated, old-school bullet technology. How can that be?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I like the CD in my 642. I found they were accurate and had manageable recoil. I also found they had no feeding issues :) However I have heard enough questionable feedback to continue to carry the Gold Dots which seem to be the go to round. I wish they made a lower recoil version but I guess then it wouldnt do what it does.

Quote Originally Posted by camsdaddy View Post
    I like the CD in my 642. I found they were accurate and had manageable recoil. I also found they had no feeding issues :) However I have heard enough questionable feedback to continue to carry the Gold Dots which seem to be the go to round. I wish they made a lower recoil version but I guess then it wouldnt do what it does.
    Yep, when I shoot my LCR (or any of my revolvers) I seem to have very few, one could even say no feeding issues!

2xR

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Also, what about Corbon DPX? I have some 9MM 115+P and have heard they have excellent penetration and expansion.
    It's freakn' AWESOME!!! Go look at tnoutdoors9 on YouTube for his review and performance. Pretty darned impressive but also pretty darned expensive given other alternative ammo options with equal performance...

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links