Hornady Critical Defense Ammo - Page 3

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hornady has done great marketing on their Critical Defense & Critical Duty lines. It is a very good product but in my experience Speer Gold ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Hornady has done great marketing on their Critical Defense & Critical Duty lines. It is a very good product but in my experience Speer Gold Dot's have better over-all performance.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Today I went to the range and fired multiple brands of self defense ammo including:

Speer Gold Dot 9MM 124+P
    Speer Gold Dot 38 +P 135 Grain Short Barrel
    Federal Hydra Shok 9MM 124 Grain Personal Defense
    Federal Hydra Shok .38 110 grain Personal Defense

test guns were a S&W Model 642 .38 J Frame

S&W M&P 9 Compact

After firing multiple rounds I am not convinced that Hornady Critical Defense is any better than the tried and true Speer and Federal product offerings. Of course we can all agree that shot placement is king. However, I am still reading of issues with various CD loads. The .357 CD casings are notorious for expanding so much that they become stuck in the cylinder of the revolver.

So my favorite round for the J Frame is the Federal 110 Grain Hydra Shok. I was extremely impressed with how accurate it is and the reduced recoil this round offered in my Airweight.

For my M&P 9 Compact it's a toss up between the Gold Dot 124+P and the Federal Hydra Shok 124 grain. I know Hydra Shok is an older round but I believe the bullet design has been updated over the years and it is extremely accurate. My rule will be to stick with the brands that are used by LE and my two favorite are Speer and Federal. Both are a division of ATK Law Enforcement and are used by thousands of departments. I also believe Winchester and Remington make excellent ammo.

Thank you for all the replies and I think for now I am best suited selecting the tried and true Speer and Federal brands.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Yep, when I shoot my LCR (or any of my revolvers) I seem to have very few, one could even say no feeding issues!
    +1

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    I think CD is perfectly acceptable for most applications that it will be used in. It is an ammo this is pretty easy to obtain in most calibers around most areas around the US. If I had the choice between CD and other brands that LE use and have a track record of good performance if it would run through my weapon well. I know of two instances where someone in the know working in an ER seen someone who was shot with CD ammo. One was a .40 cal and the other .380. They both stated that the ammo worked as advertised. Both of those people survived being shot with it, however the victims of their attacks did walk away to see another day.

Quote Originally Posted by skysoldier29 View Post
    I think CD is perfectly acceptable for most applications that it will be used in. It is an ammo this is pretty easy to obtain in most calibers around most areas around the US. If I had the choice between CD and other brands that LE use and have a track record of good performance if it would run through my weapon well. I know of two instances where someone in the know working in an ER seen someone who was shot with CD ammo. One was a .40 cal and the other .380. They both stated that the ammo worked as advertised. Both of those people survived being shot with it, however the victims of their attacks did walk away to see another day.
    That is good to know! Sound's like it is an acceptable personal defense load. I wondered if there had been any track record of CD stopping threats. I talked to several area retailers and they haven't heard of any major issues with the Critical Defense line. I think whatever issues in the beginning (if there were in fact issues) have all been corrected by Hornaday. I have seem some tests on YouTube and it looks like an effective self defense load. It also looks like the CD .380 FTX bullet is a top performer in that caliber. I'd say based on the fact that Hornaday has received multiple awards every year for their ammunition line it's a quality self defense round. Also, if you search ammunition problems with any major brand something comes up. So I think the facts are, ammo MFG are not perfect but if they are willing to fix any issues they are a good company. When I called Hornaday they were the only AMMUNITION MFG that answered my calls. I think I will pick some up for my compact CCW guns and I am going to test the Critical Duty for my full size M&P.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    I switched to Federal 90 gr Hydra-Shok in my LCP. American Rifleman published an analysis some time ago comparing SD rounds of most manufacturers and showing them by caliber. Hornaday Critical defense had a 9.3 inch penetration and a 1.18 expansion factor. Meaning it didn't penetrate very far and barely expanded. Not a very incapacitating round. The Federal, by comparison, had a 11.5 inch penetration and a 1.66 expansion factor. Repeated studies have shown that more expansion creates much more tissue damage and tissue destruction.

The Speer Gold Dot's figures were 11.0 inches penetration and 1.55 expansion factor.

Here's the link to the article. It's the best I've ever seen on comparisions of SD ammunition. Handgun Stopping Power: Sizing Up Your Options
    Wow! It looks like some bullet designs or brands don't always perform well based on Cal. For example while Hydra Shok did well in the .380 Cal it didn't do so well in some of the other Calibers. Looks like most impressive in 9MM were Gold Dot 124+P and Corbon DPX 115+P. For .38 the Gold Dot SB 135+P was hands down the best. I have both of those in stock and I think I am going to carry them. Thanks a lot for the link! Speer and Corbon DPX it is.

2xR

Quote Originally Posted by Brent2006 View Post
    ... For my M&P 9 Compact it's a toss up between the Gold Dot 124+P and the Federal Hydra Shok 124 grain....

Thank you for all the replies and I think for now I am best suited selecting the tried and true Speer and Federal brands.
    If you like the Gold Dot 124+P, get some loaded by Underwood - AWESOME STUFF!

You can get 124+P+ from them also!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

I won't buy Hornady CD ammo again after a series of FTF in my M&P 40c.

Now let me tell you I have put well over a thousand rounds though my M&P and it never had any problems accepting any other kind of ammo such as

*Prvi Partizan 180gr fmj
    *Remington 180gr GS
    *Federal Hi-shok 155gr
    *Federal HST 155, 165 AND 180gr
    *Winchester Ranger-T 180gr
    *Winchester Q4369 180gr (PDX1 from what I read)
    *Remington UMC 180gr
    *Range reloads

and all have fed without throwing up any rounds until I ran into the Critical duty, nearly every other round fired resulted in a FTF and this occured about a month ago. Then yesterday I went to the range to finish off the last box of Critical Duty and the same thing happened again.

I took my magazine out and just loaded one CD into the chamber/barrel and I noticed it didn't drop in smoothly like the other brands I mentioned. It seemes as if CD rounds are too fat to feed reliably into my gun.

That's my experience with the CD line, ill stick to Federal and Winchester.

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    I won't buy Hornady CD ammo again after a series of FTF in my M&P 40c.

Now let me tell you I have put well over a thousand rounds though my M&P and it never had any problems accepting any other kind of ammo such as

*Prvi Partizan 180gr fmj
    *Remington 180gr GS
    *Federal Hi-shok 155gr
    *Federal HST 155, 165 AND 180gr
    *Winchester Ranger-T 180gr
    *Winchester Q4369 180gr (PDX1 from what I read)
    *Remington UMC 180gr
    *Range reloads

and all have fed without throwing up any rounds until I ran into the Critical duty, nearly every other round fired resulted in a FTF and this occured about a month ago. Then yesterday I went to the range to finish off the last box of Critical Duty and the same thing happened again.

I took my magazine out and just loaded one CD into the chamber/barrel and I noticed it didn't drop in smoothly like the other brands I mentioned. It seemes as if CD rounds are too fat to feed reliably into my gun.

That's my experience with the CD line, ill stick to Federal and Winchester.
    I wonder if it is that polymer tip getting stuck on the feed ramp? I have settled on Speer Gold Dot and Corbon DPX. I think one is best suited by following Dr. Gary K Robert's best choices of self defense ammunition. I also think it is important that we select ammunition that is police tested or carried by LE agencies. I am going to use the Speer Gold Dot 124+P and Corbon DPX 115+P for my 9MM pistols and the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain +P and Corbon DPX 110+P for my .38 J frames.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

As of now Hornday is not something I am going to carry and I don't know of any agencies using this ammo.

I wonder if it is that polymer tip getting stuck on the feed ramp? I have settled on Speer Gold Dot and Corbon DPX. I think one is best suited by following Dr. Gary K Robert's best choices of self defense ammunition. I also think it is important that we select ammunition that is police tested or carried by LE agencies. I am going to use the Speer Gold Dot 124+P and Corbon DPX 115+P for my 9MM pistols and the Speer Gold Dot 135 Grain +P and Corbon DPX 110+P for my .38 J frames.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

As of now Hornday is not something I am going to carry and I don't know of any agencies using this ammo.
    Hmm its possible that the tip could cause the failures that I have dealt with.

After watching Tnoutdoors test of the Critical defense bullet where it penetrated 15-16" I ordered two boxes. Well at the very least I learned what doesn't work in my gun.

Moral of the story: Carry a .45

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Re: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    Why carry a 45? Using a firearm for self defense has nothing to do with killing a BG. It has to do with saving your own bacon.

Ah the good ole 9MM vs .45ACP debate LOL. Well I can understand why the .45ACP is a popular cartridge but the notion that a 9MM isn't a good choice is totally unsubstantiated. At the Caliber Press Surviving Armed Encounters LE training it was found that most officers killed in the line of duty were killed by calibers smaller than what they were carrying and most shootings were half the length of a patrol car. With today's ammunition choices, (Gold Dot 124+P, Corbon DPX and Federal HST) the 9MM is an effective personal defense caliber. Even the .380 has proven to be effective.

there are also plenty of accounts of people surviving being shot by the all powerful 45ACP.

Ah the good ole 9MM vs .45ACP debate LOL. Well I can understand why the .45ACP is a popular cartridge but the notion that a 9MM isn't a good choice is totally unsubstantiated. At the Caliber Press Surviving Armed Encounters LE training it was found that most officers killed in the line of duty were killed by calibers smaller than what they were carrying and most shootings were half the length of a patrol car. With today's ammunition choices, (Gold Dot 124+P, Corbon DPX and Federal HST) the 9MM is an effective personal defense caliber. Even the .380 has proven to be effective.
    Why carry a 45? Using a firearm for self defense has nothing to do with killing a BG. It has to do with saving your own bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by yz9890 View Post
    there are also plenty of accounts of people surviving being shot by the all powerful 45ACP.
    It was tongue in cheek guys. It was more a comment on the fact that the post referenced a 9mm and a.40 as being 'survivable' than anything else. Personally I love the 1911 platform but most of the time I carry a 9mm or .38 so I have nothing against them. Carry what you want just make sure you know how to use it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links