Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think that most of the premium defense rounds all act about the same since they are all trying to meet the FBI standards. I ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

I think that most of the premium defense rounds all act about the same since they are all trying to meet the FBI standards. I would then say that if they meet these standards they WILL act similar. There will be some differences between brands. If we assume the end result to be similar (within the test standards) then the other factors need to be considered. Things such as reliability, recoil, availability,........ If you or your gun, which is just a machine, doesn't like a particular type of ammunition you shouldn't use it. If you find a few loads that meet "the standard" and are reliable then look to which loads meet your preferences. You may want deep penetration or lots of expansion with shallow penetration. This is where YOU must decide what you think is the best.

I just read "Duty Calls" by Richard Mann in the Dec. 2012 Shooting Illustrated about the new Critical Duty ammo. (<---Cya legal stuff there). Basically Mann says that the Critical Defense/Duty lines are evolutions of the XTP bullets. The designs of the two lines were meant to achieve different balances between penetration, recoil, and expansion. The C. Duty leans more toward penetration and barriers while the C. Defense is concerned more with recoil and expansion. It is a good article about the two loads.

When picking a defense load the FBI standards are a nice place to start. Then you must find out what your gun does/doesn't like. Then pick a load that meets you needs regarding recoil, penetration, expansion...... Just my$.02

Mark

2. Remove Ads

I use Hornady Critical Defense in my pistols. I have never had any feed, ejection or FTF issues. I feel very confident carrying it every day I also feel very comfortable with the fact that my wife carries it in her gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilinswordsman View Post
    I use Hornady Critical Defense in my pistols. I have never had any feed, ejection or FTF issues. I feel very confident carrying it every day I also feel very comfortable with the fact that my wife carries it in her gun.
    From what I have read and seen in testing by TN9OUTDOORS the Hornady FTX and Critical Defense loads are acceptable for personal defense. Dr Gary K Roberts also tested it in .38 special and it had some impressive expansion and penetration was on par with the Gold Dot 135 Grain SB .38+P.

.38 Sp Hornady 110 gr FTX "Critical Defense", Average velocity = 876fps

Penetration was 14.2 inches with 4 layers of denim.

I'd say that is very good for a .38 Special load.

bullets are bullets. I don't worry too much about what I'm carrying, as long as its reliable in by firearm. I carried FMJ's for a long time. spending a buck a bullet seems crazy to me.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

I use Hornady Critial defense and recently Critical duty in my LCP (C Defense) Kahr CM9 and Beretta PX4 .40 Have alway liked Hornady it is just one of those things of personal preferrence I guess.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

I use a bunch of different ammo, depending on the weapon.

Glock 23- Speer gold dot 165 grain hp
    Glock 19- Winchester PDX1 124 grain HP
    M&P 9c- Winchester PDX1 124 grin HP
    Ruger LCP- Hornady Critical Defense 90 grain HP
    Springfield XDS- Winchester PDX1 230 grain HP
    Colt 1911 Officers- Winchester PDX1 230 grain HP

These rounds listed performed extremely well on the chronograph, recoiled in a managable form, and held the tightest groups. They also fed thru the weapons in the most reliable manner (meaning no issues!!!)

Just my observations.

9mm Hornady Critcal Duty testing

Thought you might enjoy this video ....just some more info that's always good .

9mm +P Hornady CRITICAL DUTY Ammo Gel test - YouTube

If you wish to compare here is some info on the Federal HST in a bit of a heavier weight but the video is very interesting . I have all the above in my collection and would grab either one. I like choices .

Federal HST 9mm +P 147 gr JHP Ammo test - YouTube

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links