Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Hornady Critical Defense Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do any of you have any opinions on Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition? I have been using Speer Gold Dot and Federal Hydra Shok for years ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Hornady Critical Defense Ammo

Do any of you have any opinions on Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition? I have been using Speer Gold Dot and Federal Hydra Shok for years and have always had excellent performance. However, I tested several boxes of Hornady Critical Defense and found it fed reliably in all my firearms and had noticeably less recoil in my J Frame Model 642. I also like it's performance in short barrel guns. I know almost all the reviews on Cabela's were 5 star reviews. So do any of you use Hornady Critical Defense or have an experience with it. I may also pick up the Critical Duty for testing.

I'd stick with the Gold Dots, m'self.

I think Critical Defense is a gimmick ammo that doesn't live up to it's own hype, and has more than it's share of quality issues (bad primers, mainly).
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

I'd also stick with gold dots.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    I use Hornady CD in both my LCP AND LC9....to date no problems with this ammo...have seen the ballistic test for this ammo and it looks good....I'm happy with it.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2xR

Quote Originally Posted by Brent2006 View Post
    ... and had noticeably less recoil in my J Frame Model 642. I also like it's performance in short barrel guns. ...I may also pick up the Critical Duty for testing.
    According to Hornady's web site this is exactly what it was designed for!

The Duty version is just the slightly hotter/heavier LE version, depending om caliber. Both are controlled expansion rounds as well...

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

2xR

I should add that I started with the Critical Defense but have switched to the Gold Dot's due to better accuracy in my gun and slightly heavier bullet weight - but I never had any QC issues.

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

YES like all others have said stick with Gold Dots, or Federals, the Hornady is nothing special, the expansion is nothing compared to other brands and not to mention the problems Ive ran into with the Critical Defense, was out testing the wifes LCP and had a round that was not loaded with much powder if any, cause the bullet thankfully made it out the barrel and hit the Gel block, and then fell back not even enough to go into it LOL, I will not use or carry Hornady products in my Guns... I know all MFGS have problems, with ammo, so it all comes down to what works best in your gun and what you like...

See that's what I wondered. I mean we all can agree that shot placement is what counts in a gun fight. I have tested various rounds and sometimes they don't expand perfectly and no bullet offers perfect symmetrical expansion every time. I mean isn't that why we have multiple defensive rounds? I know I have seen many adds on Outdoor Channel for Hornaday Critical Defense but I just don't know if the red polymer (or whatever it's made out of) is necessary. I have heard some mixed opinions on Hornady and heard that they had some issues with bad primers when they first came out. If I am not mistaken their Critical Duty has sealed primers but the Critical Defense does not? For reduced recoil my Federal Personal Defense 110 Grain 38 Special is also very comfortable in lightweight guns. I also have some of the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 Grain .38+P ammo and it performs well but is kind of a handful in Airweight guns. The way I see it, if only 100% expanded and perfectly symmetrical rounds stopped threats there would be a lot less bad guys and gang bangers 6 feet under. I mean, every time I hear about a gang shooting I doubt they are using top of the line premium self defense ammo. I think the best brands are Federal, Speer, Winchester and Remington?

VIP Member
    I have not had any problems with the Hornady CD ( in several calibers)

However I think their die sets for reloading stink

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    YES like all others have said stick with Gold Dots, or Federals, the Hornady is nothing special, the expansion is nothing compared to other brands and not to mention the problems Ive ran into with the Critical Defense, was out testing the wifes LCP and had a round that was not loaded with much powder if any, cause the bullet thankfully made it out the barrel and hit the Gel block, and then fell back not even enough to go into it LOL, I will not use or carry Hornady products in my Guns... I know all MFGS have problems, with ammo, so it all comes down to what works best in your gun and what you like...
    Wow that is pretty scary. I know someone at the range that had two lots of .357 and one was very accurate but the other lot was inaccurate and had significantly more recoil. The casings also expanded to the point that the ejection rod would not remove them. Thanks for all the feedback guys! I think I will stick with Gold Dot and Federal. Both are made by ATK Law Enforcement and are used by most agencies.

I will also add that when I called Hornady and asked about the various reports of primer issues they blamed it on Kahr and Kel Tec firearms and I just don't think that was right. It wasn't just Kahr or Kel tec. In fact when you got a round that a Glock 19 wont fire that's a problem most likely with the ammo.
    bombthrower77 likes this.

Also, what about Corbon DPX? I have some 9MM 115+P and have heard they have excellent penetration and expansion.

Both my wife and I like in our weapons we started using CD when it first came out and my daughter switched over to it.

If you pick any of the rounds on this list, they'll do their part... as long as you do yours.

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    oneshot likes this.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." ~ Benjamin Franklin

I only use Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links