380 ammo - Page 2

380 ammo

This is a discussion on 380 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Walther PPK/s with PDX ammo. NOT my EDC however....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 380 ammo

Walther PPK/s with PDX ammo. NOT my EDC however.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

380 ammo

P3AT with either CD or the Zombie bullets. Backup to my 642, although I don't feel undergunned if only carrying the .380. :)

Best .380 I found for is Speer's Gold Dot JHP, tested through denim, hogs head w/ meat and 2 water jugs. That's what I run in my backup .380
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Beretta 84FS, Remington Golden Sabre 102 grain.

Generally speaking I don't think the small .380s and JHP ammunition mix well. The short barrels bleed off some of what little velocity the .380 ACP starts with, and little tiny guns tend to have more functioning issues in general, and specifically with non-ball ammunition (in my experience anyway). For a larger gun like the 84FS, which is boringly reliable and has nearly a 4" barrel, I think JHP of one form or another is fine. If I carried a mini-.380 like a LCP, P3AT, SIG 238, etc., I'd carry 95 grain ball.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

380 95 Gr flat nose steel door 21 feet It also went through the 7/16 ply wood behind that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    380 95 Gr flat nose steel door 21 feet It also went through the 7/16 ply wood behind that.

I like the Flat Nose bullet. It causes better damage than a round nose and penetrates deeper than a hollow point. I am thinking about getting the Flat Nosed Hard Cast 100 gr +P from Buffalo Bore.

Once apon a time I carried my LCP loaded with Hornady Critial Defense. Then my Kahr CM9 came along and I carry it loaded with Hornady Critial Duty. Then when it is really cold and I feel really strong I carry my Beretta PX4 SC .40 cal. again loaded with Critical Duty ammo. If it is really HOT out and I have draw string shorts and t-shirt on that is the only time I do the .380 thing anymore. The End.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by bandrich View Post
    Once apon a time I carried my LCP loaded with Hornady Critial Defense. Then my Kahr CM9 came along and I carry it loaded with Hornady Critial Duty. Then when it is really cold and I feel really strong I carry my Beretta PX4 SC .40 cal. again loaded with Critical Duty ammo. If it is really HOT out and I have draw string shorts and t-shirt on that is the only time I do the .380 thing anymore. The End.
    I get where you are coming from. However, I really just don't like the new crop of micro autos. I'm not comfortable pocket carrying any autoloader with a 1911 style magazine release. I've tried it, and every single gun I have tired (Kel-Tec P32, Colt Mustang, LCP, SIG 238, etc.) at some point released the magazine in my pocket. The .380 out of a small gun is marginal enough, a single shot .380 is unacceptable. I'm not sure why we insist on 1911 style magazine releases on pocket guns. I suspect most people that carry them don't even carry spare magazines, and even if they do, the size of the guns and the magazines do not lend themselves to speed reloads. I'll be a lot more likely to buy, and keep, a mini-.380 with a heel clip magazine release.

As for the crop of mini-9mm pistols, they are just enough bigger in most cases that I am not comfortable pocket carrying them. Something about the shape of an autoloader just doesn't work for me with pocket carry. I have no trouble carrying a small revolver in my pocket. My usual pocket gun is a S&W 642.

I really like the Beretta 84FS for the gun that it is. I accept the cartridge it is chambered for because there isn't a 9mm the same size that offers what the 84FS does: compact size, metal construction, 14 round capacity, DA/SA trigger, usable sights, extreme reliability and a grip that fits me like a glove. If Beretta could make it exactly the same size but in 9x19 I'd buy three. Until they do, I'll stick with the 84FS.

So, my two usual carry guns are the 84FS and the 642. I have a M&P45 4" that I carry from time to time when the mood strikes me, but it just doesn't have the character or feel that I like so much about the 84FS.
    -Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

VIP Member
    I carry a Bersa Thunder with CorBon Power Points. The CorBon power points have good stats but only in a full size 380.

380 ammo

Lcp with critical defense

GoldenLoki.com

I run 95 gr FMJ-FP in my Ruger LCPs.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

380 ammo

Buffalo bore is my first choice, 267 ft lbs, double tap is a distant second at 200ft lbs in .380 for me.
    I think gold dots or cor bon dpx would be pretty good as well but i dont run them.
    I had the critical defense for a couple of years but had 3 ftf out of 50 recently so i quit carrying them.

Swapped my LCP for a sig 238 and find shooting the heavy loads much more controllable and accurate now.

Sent from my iPad

Hornady CD or Speer Gold Dot in my P238.

Quote Originally Posted by paullie View Post
    bersa thunder 380 Winchester PDX1's year round. The gun and the round are very underrated IMO
    Ditto.

I think if Buffalo Bore run thru your gun reliably that's probably what I'd carry.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links