What 9mm ammo do you use? - Page 3

What 9mm ammo do you use?

This is a discussion on What 9mm ammo do you use? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Gold dot 115 gr....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What 9mm ammo do you use?

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Gold dot 115 gr.
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

Currently, 147gr HST, with one pistol running 124+P Gold Dots, as it did not care for 147gr bullets of any sort.
    There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.--RAH

...man fights with his mind; the weapons are incidental.--Jeff Cooper

There is a reason they try and make small bullets act like big bullets--Glockmann10mm

Carry = Speer Gold Dot 124Gr +p Short Barrel, and Winchester PDX1 Bonded 124Gr +p

Practice/target = Speer/CCI Lawman 124Gr standard pressure, Winchester 124Gr NATO, and CCI Blazer 115Gr standard pressure

I have heard the Hornady Critical DUTY is made for greater penetration for something more along the lines of law enforcement applications (shooting through doors, etc), so I stay away from that and use the Hornady Critical DEFENSE.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

Quote Originally Posted by BamaT View Post
    I usually have Winchester Ranger T 147 grain in my Glock 19 and Smith M&P 9, although my M&P is usually restricted to range and IDPA use. I also sometimes carry Golden Saber 147 grain. I have on hand and have tested for reliability, 124 grain Golden Saber, 147 grain Hornady TAP, 115 grain Hornady Critical Defense, 124 and 147 grain Hydroshocks. I've just gotten an order in of 124 and 147 grain Federal HST, both standard pressure, but haven't shot any yet to establish reliability in my guns. I have no doubt they will work fine, but I never carry any ammo without testing first for reliability.

My suggestion is to select a good ammo, with Winchester Ranger T, Federal HST, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber being my top choices, test for reliability first and foremost, and then carry which one you shoot best provided it proves reliable.
    I meant to add that you should check SGAmmo.com, they have competitive pricing, shipping is reasonable, and you can get top notch ammo in boxes of 50 for just a bit more than boxes of 20 or 25 at most LGS.
    NRA Life Member

I only use Speer Gold Dot's for all my handgun calibers. Nothing has been proven better as of yet.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

124gr Golden Sabers in my DB9
    147gr Golden Sabers in my XD9 subcompact

I went with Golden Sabers for their proven expansion but also being at a better price than some of the other top brands.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    Federal HST in all my guns, period.

Not Hydrashok, HST.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.
    Yep Yep

Winchester PDX-1, Hornady Critical Defense, Federal HST and Hydra-Shok, Speer Gold Dot - all work well in my 9mm handguns. I mainly run 124 gr versions, with the exception of the CD which is 115 gr.
    Slow scopes, fast cars.
    'Chance favors the prepared mind' - Louis Pasteur

Hornady Critical Duty and Defense in all carry guns.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

VIP Member
    Golden Saber - +p for my FNS & G22 with 9mm conversion barrel; regular pressure for my Shield & PT99
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Speer GD 124gr +p. Even out of the subcompact Glock 26, the recoil is not bad at all.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Hornady Critical Duty 135g +P. Springfield service model 4" barrel, full size grip.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Winchester pdx1 defender or hornady critical defense. In my glock 19. It's not the 'best' defensive caliber but its cheap and fub to shoot and it will get the job done.

Winchester pdx1 defender or hornady critical defense. In my glock 19. It's not the 'best' defensive caliber but its cheap and fun to shoot and it will get the job done.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links