New testing Series - Gold Dots Under Stress 165 Grain 40 S&W

New Testing Series - Gold Dots Under Stress 165 Grain 40 S&W

This is a discussion on New Testing Series - Gold Dots Under Stress 165 Grain 40 S&W within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm not afraid to break from the pack and try something a little different. I devised this bullet stress test to give me another data ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By Ljutic
  • 2 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By yz9890

Thread: New testing Series - Gold Dots Under Stress 165 Grain 40 S&W

I'm not afraid to break from the pack and try something a little different. I devised this bullet stress test to give me another data point when evaluating ammo.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

GH
    Great presentation! I'm not real worried about the expansion but of course I'd like to see the round fully expanded. I carry .40 Speer 165 gr Gold Dot in my weapon & this confirms my research on that ammo. Living in Wisconsin you can see many people fully clothed & insulated in the winter. I won't have any further doubts. I would like to see a little less penetration but I'd rather have too much than too little.

I also carry Federal Tactical 180 gr HST. I'd like to see the same test on that if you have the time & inclination. I have a mag loaded with Gold Dots in the gun & the other with HSTs most times.

Thanks for posting your findings.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Nice, I like your ammo test, mostly catch them on the Kahr forum. I would love to see a "torture test" of .40 S&W 180gr HST and Ranger T series if you ever get time! Those are my two carry rounds for EDC
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Great watch. I've been considering switching back to the Gold Dots. I've been carrying 180 gr. Critical Duty in my G27.

Here's a "velocity" torture test of the Gold Dot 180 gr: 10mm Underwood Ammo Gold Dot 180 gr Ammo test - YouTube

Thanks for sharing the test. Looks like great performance!

Austin

I carry 230 grain GDHP in my Commander,it's nice to know if I get attacked by a feral hog wearing a blue jean jacket he won't get past my Gold Dots
    blitzburgh and archer51 like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Nicely done. As others have said, would like to see how the Federal HST functions in it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I carry 230 grain GDHP in my Commander,it's nice to know if I get attacked by a feral hog wearing a blue jean jacket he won't get past my Gold Dots
    If you get attacked by a feral hog in a blue jean jacket, you better be careful. I have heard the jacket wearing feral hogs are know to run with herds of ninja javalina.
    OldVet likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

aside from the one gimpy petal, the bullet appeared to fully expand. final expansion data is only relevant to the extent that it demonstrates how far along in the process the bullet made it. those petals were wide open one inch into the medium. there are some cases where the core doesn't open up but that one appears to have performed reasonably well.

would like to see the same test with Ranger and/or HST or something else that isn't bonded. Add some bone and meat behind the denim and leather if possible. and maybe my wife's Trans Siberian Orchestra Xmas CD as well. man am I sick of that.

enjoyed the video. good info.
    aus71383 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Thanks for posting. I was surprised to see it have that much penetration. I like the leather idea, it should be a good approximation of human skin.

I like the idea of acquiring some hogs that have recently expired and conduct some tests to measure penetration and to witness actual damage. As soon as I can find a hog farmer that would like to make a donation, I might actually do it someday.

The video was even more informative than the stills. Did anyone notice the entry hole venting as the temporary cavity collapsed? Starts at around 1:34.

My takeaway is that even though overall expansion might be compromised, you still have a 0.4"-plus slug penetrating deeply... looks pretty effective.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Here is a download from ATK Law Enforcement (division of Federal and Speer) that talk about this impressive load.

http://le.atk.com/downloads/technica...mance53970.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The video was even more informative than the stills. Did anyone notice the entry hole venting as the temporary cavity collapsed? Starts at around 1:34.
    I actually turned the internal explosion/flash into another video. I'm going to try veg tanned leather for my next try and hope it cures the flash problem.

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Links