Winchester Ranger 165 gr 40s&w

This is a discussion on Winchester Ranger 165 gr 40s&w within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know where I can get this ammunition? I live in Michigan and none of the lgs carry it. I know in some states ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kapnketel
  • 2 Post By OSUfan
  • 2 Post By high pockets

Thread: Winchester Ranger 165 gr 40s&w

Winchester Ranger 165 gr 40s&w

Does anyone know where I can get this ammunition? I live in Michigan and none of the lgs carry it. I know in some states it is illegal for civilian use but I contacted the Michigan State Police and the only thing that is illegal here in armor piercing rounds.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    ammunitiontogo.com has it in stock currently.
    FlaRon likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

sgammo.com may have it, I haven't checked.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Man an OSU fan from michigan ..... .... SGAmmo is a great source for them also kylesgunshop.com carries Ranger T's not sure if he has 165gr...

Your damn right a OSU fan in Michigan! Im originally from Ohio though. Thanks for the info everyone. Ill check it out.
    lyodbraun and blitzburgh like this.

Another vote for ammotogo.com - I've ordered from them quite a few times. Reasonable prices - and they actually have things in stock.

Austin

VIP Member
    I never heard of 165 gr .40 being illegal to use unless in NJ, because of the hollow point issue.

Is there anywhere else where these are illegal?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get this ammunition? I live in Michigan and none of the lgs carry it. I know in some states it is illegal for civilian use but I contacted the Michigan State Police and the only thing that is illegal here in armor piercing rounds.
    I've only seen this ammunition at gun shows, around here.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I think it is illegal in some states simply because it is designed for law enforcement. There are a few different Ranger designs and the one im looking for is made for law enforcement only. So most places don't carry it in the store, and in some states it is illegal. The 165 gr doesn't really have anything to do with why its illegal in some places.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OSUfan View Post
    I think it is illegal in some states simply because it is designed for law enforcement. There are a few different Ranger designs and the one im looking for is made for law enforcement only. So most places don't carry it in the store, and in some states it is illegal. The 165 gr doesn't really have anything to do with why its illegal in some places.
    Help me out here, because maybe I am not understanding your concern. You seem to be asserting that possession of
    165 gr .40 is illegal in several states besides NJ. Is that what you are saying? If yes, do you know which states?

I'd not heard of this before and want to know the answer.

Or are you saying that one of the various Ranger designs is illegal in some states? If so, which ones if you know?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

"Law Enforcement Only" It's often an advertising gimmick, meant to stir interest. Kind of like "Zombie Max" from Hornady.
    Hopyard and Fisher10 like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I don't know the specific states or ammunitions, I just know that in certain states it is illegal for civilians to own ammunition designed for law enforcement use. Kind of like how in most states it is illegal to for civilians to own armor piercing rounds. You would have to check with your state police department, or look at your state statues, to find out what, if any, ammunition is illegal in your state.

My post was just about where I could order the ammunition at because in Michigan, at least my LGS, it is not carried in the stores but is not illegal for me to own and use. I just need to find a good place to purchase it from.

Links