federal 9mm 135gr hydrashok any good?

This is a discussion on federal 9mm 135gr hydrashok any good? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I just wanted to get some insight on what anyone's thought are for the 9mm 135gr hydrashok as a home defense round. This would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: federal 9mm 135gr hydrashok any good?

Hi,
    I just wanted to get some insight on what anyone's thought are for the 9mm 135gr hydrashok as a home defense round. This would be fired from a full size G17, I have no concern or worry about over penatration or any factors like that nor am I recoil shy. So I guess my question would be is do you think this round would perform well out of a full size weapon if I had to god forbid use it in a home protection manor, or should I be looking into a different round that would give better performance maybe even a +P or +P+ round to boost the performance even more? Any thoughts or insight would be great
    Thanks
    G

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "This would be fired from a full size G17"

In lieu of a mini-size G17?

It's good ammo. I have a couple of 124 grain boxes on hand. Someone will quickly jump in with the "It's old school, outdated technology" but a musket ball will kill you just as dead and that's really old school. Anyone who thinks it's too "outdated" should volunteer to take a couple through the ribs.
    mkh likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I'd recommend the Federal HST, Hydrashok is good but why settle when HST is available in 9mm?

As long as it comes out ot the right end of the pistol, and goes where you point it, it is going to be more than adequate for defensive purposes.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I always wondered about hydrashock rounds, but with the HST around its hard to even go that route. Though you can fill your inventory with Hydrashocks.

I have used the 9mm and 40 caliber Hydrashoks on medium game and found them to work very well.

In living tissue I have found no evidence that any other bullet design would perform any better that would give a noticeable result.

You have to remember that the public is very gullible, and will believe anything a lab rat tells them, especially people who have never tested them on flesh and bone.
    It's called good business techniques.

The truth of course is that there have been advances in bullet design, but I don't think heart and lungs will really know the difference to any measurable degree that justifies the expense.
    ctr likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I have used the 9mm and 40 caliber Hydrashoks on medium game and found them to work very well.

In living tissue I have found no evidence that any other bullet design would perform any better that would give a noticeable result.

You have to remember that the public is very gullible, and will believe anything a lab rat tells them, especially people who have never tested them on flesh and bone.
    It's called good business techniques.

The truth of course is that there have been advances in bullet design, but I don't think heart and lungs will really know the difference to any measurable degree that justifies the expense.

^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^

They will be fine.
    What some will say, is that with other supposedly more advanced technology, might as well go for that.
    If you have them, and they run fine in your weapon, use them,
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I use the 147 grain..and love them

Quote Originally Posted by DubH00 View Post
    I use the 147 grain..and love them
    Ditto
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

One word ....Yes

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo
    Anything listed here is acceptable.

Hydra-shoks are prone to clogging when they hit clothing. When that happens, they pass through like an FMJ.
    Weight retention is not very good. Expansion is not very good. Reliability of expansion is not very good. They might have been the bee's knees 25 years ago, but since then there have been great advancements in bullet design. I don't know why Federal still makes them.

Hydra-shoks are greatly outperformed by modern bullets like the Speer Gold Dot, Federal HSTs and the Barnes XPB bullet.
    Don't settle for an inferior round when Gold Dots or HSTs are available for the same price or less.

ETA: 50rds - 9mm Federal HST 147gr HP hollow point LE ammo P9HST2 | SGAmmo.com This is the load to carry. I carry the +P variant.
    This site also sells other HST loads as well as several Gold Dot loads. A huge advantage here is that the rounds come in 50 round law enforcement packaging and is about half of the cost of 'civilian' packaged defensive rounds.
    kmagnuss likes this.

VIP Member
    No offense (truly) OldVet, but what does that "argument" actually mean? "If you think round/bullet X is so bad, let me shoot you with it!" I, for one, don't want to get shot with a BB, or a spit wad for that matter, but that hardly means that a BB is a reasonable (let alone the "best") self defense projectile. It's just a poor, unreasoned argument. And, going along with that, if the musket ball was anywhere near close to as efficient or effective as modern bullets, it would still be in use. While we're at it, why not use crossbows? Longbows? An atlatl? Rocks? Hands and feet? All have proven very capable of killing a human being, but I don't see anyone here saying "hey, it worked in 10,000 BC, it's got to be good enough for today!" If you (in the general, non-specific sense) think that the "good" ol' stuff is just as good as the new stuff, why are you on this board? Shouldn't you be on "DefensiveSharpenedSticks.com?"

Ok, with that rant out of the way.... The Hydra-shok is a decent round. It represented a pretty big step forward in bullet design when it came out back in the Dark Ages. It does not perform as well across a wide spectrum of uses as do more modern rounds. However, it is not at all a BAD round, and you are not at all ill-served with them. If you have them, and they are accurate, available, and (most importantly) reliable in your platform, then you are "losing" such a small percentage of effectiveness that I hardly think it reasonable to ditch them. (And, if you DO decide to ditch them, give me a call....)

To sum it all up: Is it the "best" round out there? No. Is it a decent round? Absolutely.
    kmagnuss likes this.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Not offended, but you entirely missed my point and leaped off into an apples and oranges discussion about pointed sticks and BBs.

The most typical response to any thread about Hydra-shoks is "It's outdated." So is the '64 GTO that blew past me yesterday, but's apples to my oranges--but I'd trade my orange for it any day. No, Hydra-shoks aren't perfect, but neither is any other bullet. If you or anyone knows of a fail-proof perfect bullet, let me know and I'm on board with it. I don't think any design will be perfect under every condition.

Nor would I care to be shot with a BB, or hit with a rock or anything else. Outdated doesn't translate to ineffective. While a Hydra-shok may not be the "best" round for nothern MN in January, it will probably be pretty effective against the typical T-shirts and maybe hoodies encountered here.

I have a stash of Golds Dots that I wouldn't hesitate to use. I also have a stash of PDX1s I wouldn't hesitate to use. Plus Hydra-shoks and a few others (including some round balls) that if put where they need to be I feel sure will do the job. I'm not about to discard any because they're "outdated." The thought that "Oh, I'd better not carry these because they're outdated" never enters my mind when I load a magazine.

I suppose one day Federal will no longer produce the outdated Hydra-shoks, and then all can jump in with "outdated and obsolete." But until then, I'll stick with my theory that in all likihood the BG on the end won't be able to tell one bullet from another if one puts them where it counts. In that case, they all work when applied properly.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

When I think of all the men killed quite handily with a black powder 36 cal round ball, it makes this issue almost laughable.

You could give Mr. Bean a 50 cal and he couldnt stop a mouse; give a rock to David and he could stop a giant.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: federal 9mm 135gr hydrashok any good?

Swords worked for a long time too.

Why not carry the best you can? It's nice having so many good choices.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links