Is it a necessary step to factory crimp when reloading 9x19

This is a discussion on Is it a necessary step to factory crimp when reloading 9x19 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; New to reloading. Bought my press and dies. The kit came with a 3 die set. Decapping resizing die, mouth expanding powder charging die, and ...

Thread: Is it a necessary step to factory crimp when reloading 9x19

New to reloading. Bought my press and dies. The kit came with a 3 die set. Decapping resizing die, mouth expanding powder charging die, and a bullet seating die. Is it necessary to purchase a factory crimp die? Or is this not a necessary step. I have heard both ways. I'm loading Hornady XTP with W231. Also I posted previously about case bulge, is it safe. I'm trying to get this pic uploaded.
    Attached Images
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

VIP Member
    The case bulge is not uncommon; it is caused by resizing dies that are slightly undersize and an expander plug also undersize. No danger there but it may cause a reduction in case life. As far as the factory crimp die for 9MM and 45ACP I prefer the taper crimp or factory crimp dies. I will admit my die sets are over 30 years old and back then a roll crimp die was supplied, a roll crimp does not work well unless there is a cannelure on the bullet. Some crimp is desirable at least to remove the belling from the case mouth.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I use a 3-die set for all my handgun reloading with no issues. It's just a matter of setting up the seating/crimping die correctly.

The bulge is normal. What holds the bullet in place with a taper crimp (such as 9x19) is the tightness between the case and bullet. Your resizing die is purposely undersizing the case to ensure a tight crimp. Then the bullet is expanding the case as it seats. As long as the finished round chambers okay you have no issue. You should be using .355 diameter jacketed bullets, .356 for lead bullets.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I use a Lee 3 die set for 9mm and .45 ACP, and use the crimping die that came with the set. I don't roll the crimp in as you would with a cannelured bullet like a .38 or .44, but tighten it down just enough to get a good crimp. I don't use a factory taper die, and I do get a little bulge sometimes, but I have never ever had any issues with chambering, etc.
    NRA Life Member

I'm rather new to reloading too! Just keep asking quetions and you will get the hang of it in no time. Looks like are doing fine so far.

The bulge is not uncommon. Just check it with your caliper to make sure it's still in tolerance and also you can do a fit check in the pistol chamber. I think you'll find it's ok.

From what I have learned, reading Lyman's 49th Edition, you should do a taper crimp on cartridges used in a semi-auto or a roll crimp on cartridges used in revolvers. What brand dies do you have? The seating die may also crimp. The Hornady seating dies I have also crimp. The .45ACP die set states specifically "taper crimp 3 die set". With the 9mm Hornady die set I bought I didn't know I needed to taper crimp when I bought them but it was no big deal, I just bought a Lee Factory Crimp Die for the 9mm.

As MSGT says you should crimp enough to remove the belling on the case mouth.

I havent had any problems using a taper crimp on my 9mm. It just took a bit to get it adjusted properly. As I bought my equipment used. Still works good though.

Look in your reloading manuals. The diameter of the finished case will be listed in the manual. You should not have to crimp further than the diameter listed in your manual.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I have Lyman's 49th edition and it is coming in handy. I have the Lee 3 die carbide set. I guess that's what I'm trying to get a straight answer on. Does the seating die crimp? It seams that most people loading 9mm use the FDC for post sizing mainly for flawless feeding. I guess what I'm getting at is, it's not a big deal to order the FDC, but in the meantime can I successfully load without it?
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I have Lyman's 49th edition and it is coming in handy. I have the Lee 3 die carbide set. I guess that's what I'm trying to get a straight answer on. Does the seating die crimp? It seams that most people loading 9mm use the FDC for post sizing mainly for flawless feeding. I guess what I'm getting at is, it's not a big deal to order the FDC, but in the meantime can I successfully load without it?
    The seating die that came with your die set should also crimp as well. I have used both RCBS and Lee dies, and have never had crimping issues with the standard bullet seating/crimping die, including 9mm and 45 ACP. You will be just fine with your die set in my opinion, without having to buy an additional die.
    NRA Life Member

Another Question. I know the Max OAL for 9mm but what is the min. I don't want to seat to deep. I definitely don't want pressure issues. Like I said, I'm new to this, and although I'm referencing Lyman's 49th, it's still pretty overwhelming. Safety above all else. That's the route I'm taking. Thx.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

Sponsored Links