Is Royal Buck Shot Bad?

This is a discussion on Is Royal Buck Shot Bad? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the store and it was on sale for $2.49 per pack of five 00buck. I figured it probably wasn't the best but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Sod Farmer
  • 1 Post By hayzor

Thread: Is Royal Buck Shot Bad?

Is Royal Buck Shot Bad?

I was at the store and it was on sale for $2.49 per pack of five 00buck. I figured it probably wasn't the best but since it was so cheap, I wasn't losing anything.

2. Remove Ads

I've use a carton of 250 (00 buck) in my mossberg 930spx...never had an issue. But was initially wary because of the very agreeable pricing and lack of broader information about them. I believe they are spanish. Seem to work just fine so have found no reason to revert back to my other standard (Federal), admittedly dont shoot my shotgun an aweful lot but do put about 80-shells thru it at a sitting.

it has that clear plastic and it seems like it has no wad surrounding the shot...is that normal for buck shot?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Can be.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Rio Royal 00 Buck is probably one of the very best buys for home defense shotgun loads. It actually gets the advertised velocity, groups well, and goes bang every time. If I were to be critical, it kicks like a mule (high velocity), and it is longer than other 2 3/4 inch shells. With that being said, it is actually 2 3/4 inches long, and most of the other brands are not.
    1 old 0311 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Don't know about Royal Buck, but Crown Royal Black is delicious. (sorry guys..the devil made me do it).
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Shot some this weekend. Shot great, kicked hard, grouped well. What a great price.

What do you consider a "good" pattern? Buckshot with polymer buffer, hard or plated shot, and thick wads have the best chance of patterning tight. The plastic keeps the individual pellets from bumping together, the plating makes them harder, and the wad keeps them from rubbing the inside of the bore. All these factors keep the shot nice and round and flying straight and predictably. A too tight choke can squeeze pellets together, flattening them and actually increasing patterns. In rounds like the Federal "Flite Control" or Winchester's new wad (the name of which I forget), the wad also releases slowly and keeps pellets together longer. I have fired a lot of Federal FC and with an open choked defense gun I could put every pellet into a coffee cup at 60 feet. It would keep all pellets on a shilouette target out to 40 yards if I did my part, from a Mossberg 500 or my Benelli, or the Turkish cheap pump we kept loaded behind the gunshop counter. (I have yet to fire the Winchester stuff).

I have a lot of cheap buckshot in ammo cans in my storage area, but premium in the guns loaded in the house.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    What do you consider a "good" pattern? Buckshot with polymer buffer, hard or plated shot, and thick wads have the best chance of patterning tight. The plastic keeps the individual pellets from bumping together, the plating makes them harder, and the wad keeps them from rubbing the inside of the bore. All these factors keep the shot nice and round and flying straight and predictably. A too tight choke can squeeze pellets together, flattening them and actually increasing patterns. In rounds like the Federal "Flite Control" or Winchester's new wad (the name of which I forget), the wad also releases slowly and keeps pellets together longer. I have fired a lot of Federal FC and with an open choked defense gun I could put every pellet into a coffee cup at 60 feet. It would keep all pellets on a shilouette target out to 40 yards if I did my part, from a Mossberg 500 or my Benelli, or the Turkish cheap pump we kept loaded behind the gunshop counter. (I have yet to fire the Winchester stuff).

I have a lot of cheap buckshot in ammo cans in my storage area, but premium in the guns loaded in the house.
    Good Point. The pattern that I get at "In The House" ranges is about the size of a coffee cup. If you want to shoot this load at 40 yards, I am sure it will not be as tight as other buffered loads with hardened shot. With that being said, for home defense the performance of this load is nearly ideal IMO.

Is Royal Buck Shot Bad?

Only if you are on the receiving end!!
    baren likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Ex Member
    It is ALL I use, and have never had a failure

I bought 250 rounds. It goes bang every time. I also agree that it kicks hard.

Links