recommended ammo for ruger sr22

This is a discussion on recommended ammo for ruger sr22 within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for your input on what works best with the SR22 .... Thx!...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: recommended ammo for ruger sr22

Looking for your input on what works best with the SR22 .... Thx!
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

Mine seem to like the high velocity rounds. CCI or Winchester X22M

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

You will have to try some different types. Each gun is different.
    gasmitty likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Yep, what glockman said. Chances are it'll function with nearly anything you can buy, but accuracy is a different matter - you can get wild swings in point of impact and group size with different loads.

Although I doubt you'll be doing much serious target work with this gun, one thing to note if you are evaluating different rimfire ammo for accuracy is that you need to 'condition' the barrel with the new ammo when you shift over. In other words, when you switch from load A to load B, run 20 rounds of B through the gun before you start measuring group sizes. I lost a half a day at an Appleseed shoot chasing a new zero when I ran out of one ammo type and had to change over. I subsequently verified this effect was not unique to me, so now it's part of my routine when checking out different ammo in my .22s.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Myself and two neighbors all acquired SR22s at the same time and shot together while sorting out which ammo the guns liked best. It turned out that Remington Golden Bullet ammo was the preferred load for reliability and accuracy in all three guns. We tried 15 or 20 different kinds of ammo and were quite surprised ( and pleased ) when the cheap Remingtons worked the best. That being said, I've read all sorts of different results on the web. Like the other guys said, you'll just have to experiment to find the load your gun prefers. It may take a while but it will be fun shooting.

VIP Member
    I use Remington Golden Bullet Cabela's: Remington® .22 LR Rimfire Ammunition

CCI Stinger also works well but it is a little more expensive Cabela's: CCI Bulk .22 LR Stinger and Segmented Hollow Point Ammo with Dry-Storage Box
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

I used CCI blazer this week for the first time with my grandsons SR22, worked good , but, wow it left a lot of residue.

Blazers are about the cheapest of the cheap, and I've found that they don't feed reliably, even in my autoloaders without tight chambers. I shot a half a brick and gave the rest away.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I ran about 200 rounds of CCI Stingers through my SR22 when I first bought it based upon information I had read online. Now I use CCI Mini Mags. A guy at my LGS said the Stingers may wear down the springs faster. Price is the same for either Stinger or Mini Mags so he wasn't trying to up sell me. The Mini Mags work fine.

Nice purchase. They are fun to shoot.

FWIW, Stingers are not widely known for their accuracy. There are a few who swear by them, but their advantage is "hyper" velocity for a .22, at the cost of a longer case. Don't use them in a match- or Bentz-chambered gun!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Re: recommended ammo for ruger sr22

I crossed the 1000 round mark today in mine. It eats anything I stuff in it, only two fail to feeds in over 1k rounds (one was a golden bullet, the other a win super x. Both were bulk hollowpoints and I believe a weak round before it didn't have the punch to cycle the slide.

For me personally, Remington Golden Bullets have been the most accurate, anything CCI has been cleaner and never a single issue. Federal falls in between those two, and Winchester ammo brings up the rear in accuracy and its also pretty dirty.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

.22s are notorious for ammo affinity. Two guns of the same type and model may like different ammo, both in terms of function and accuracy. Having said that, one of the best all-around .22 ammos that I have found is the American Eagle 38 grain plated HP. As sure as I say that, you may try it and your gun may not like it at all. CCI mini-mags also seem to do pretty well across a lot of guns. My recommendation, especially for a gun designed more for plinking/fun shooting, would be to try some of the various bulk ammo like that available from Walmart first. Maybe your gun will like the cheap stuff.
    NRA Life Member

Mine won't shoot any of the cheap stuff reliably. I use cci minmag round nose 1235fps exclusively. No problems in 1,00 rounds.

Links