1st round in magazine sometimes jams

This is a discussion on 1st round in magazine sometimes jams within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I carry my Sig P229 .40 in a 12+1 configuration in a 12 round Metsgar (spelling?) magazine carrying Ranger T 180 HP's. Sometimes ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ctr
  • 1 Post By MidlifeinMI

Thread: 1st round in magazine sometimes jams

1st round in magazine sometimes jams

Hi all,

I carry my Sig P229 .40 in a 12+1 configuration in a 12 round Metsgar (spelling?) magazine carrying Ranger T 180 HP's.

Sometimes when going to the range I find out if I decide to shoot my Ranger T ammo, picking it up straight from the holster and firing it, the second round (the first in the mag) will jam and not feed into the chamber. Beforehand if I take the mag out and slap the mag against something hard with my hand it seems to "seat" all the rounds in the mag. right so I don't have that problem.

Any ideas what's causing the problem to feed into the chamber? The other rounds in the mag. shoot fine. It's just the 1st round in the mag. that's causing the trouble. Both mags have around 1,000 rounds thru them and the gun has around 2,000 rounds total.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It could be as simple as the brand/type bullet you use. I'd try a variety of rounds and see what affects it most/least. All HPs? Some HP? All types? Then again, maybe the mag spring isn't up to speed, or the recoil spring has caused the timing to go off slightly. I bet a little experimenting will provide a doable answer.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I've had that issue with just a few pistols over the years. The fix was either to load one less round in the magazine, or in the case of one Glock I have, the magazine does not always fully seat even though it is locked into the well.
    aus71383 likes this.

Thanks for your help guys. I think I'll switch mags first and see if they helps..If not that perhaps the mag spring next. I think the Ranger JHP's are fine because I've carried those for the past year and never had this problem until last week. Thanks!
    aus71383 likes this.

I had an issue with my Remington 1911.45 doing the same thing. Turned out it was the hand loaded ammo I purchased when I bought my gun. Purchased some Winchester FMJ at wally world and the trouble went away..About 30 rounds and no problems yet..I know, that's not very much but still no issues...

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidlifeinMI View Post
    Both mags have around 1,000 rounds thru them and the gun has around 2,000 rounds total.

Thanks.
    I had one bad magazine for my PPS that hangs with any JHP, have you check to see if it is just one magazine or is it both?

A friend has had reliable service from Mec-Gar magazines: see link: Sig Sauer factory P229 12 RD .40 S&W or .357 MAG-229-43-12 [MAG-229-43-12] - $33.95 : Greg Cote, LLC

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Administrator
    Try downloading your magazines with one less cartridge and see if that still happens.

There is an incredible amount of upward force generated in a fully stoked higher capacity magazine & it's very possible that your recoil spring is having some difficulty returning your slide to battery with a fully stoked magazine.

First round FTFeed malfs are often caused by excessive cartridge/Mag Feed Lips friction that your slide needs to overcome in order to feed.

Friction is the enemy of all semi-automatics.

SUGGESTION:
    You might want to disassemble your magazines and use some fine 3M Silicon Carbide paper to smooth the underside edges of your magazine feed lips and also use a very low friction lube on your slide/frame rails.
    Break that hard, sharp, lower feed lip edge that is cutting into your cartridge brass as the round is being pushed forward out of the magazine.

Often doing both of those things will eliminate the problem since your firearm does seem to be feeding reliably with the only exception being the top round in a fully stoked mag.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Ditto on the suggestions. I've had this on occasion, during early days of the break-in period or when a magazine is acting up.

Assuming you've got a number of different magazines for that gun, try duplicating the issue in different magazines, to see if the problem follows the ammo. Ensure your mag springs are up to snuff, as are the followers. Try reducing the ammo in your magazine by one, to see if the problem disappears.

The gun has 2000rds through it, so I'm assuming the feed path is nicely smoothed. If the problem has recently started happening, re-verify the feed area isn't fouled with crud somewhere. Also double-check that the ramp and chamber areas are indeed as smooth as you think they should be. A simple light polishing in this area might well stop the problem.

Might try a higher-power mag spring, too. Sometimes, the initial feed angle of the rounds can be subtly changed enough to sidestep such problems. Wolff carries them.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I should add that often purchasing NICKEL plated cartridge cases will solve that problem also. Because NICKEL is harder than brass and has inherent lubricity and that does cut down on feed friction in moving cartridges out of the magazine, up the breech face, & into the chamber.

I love high quality NICKEL plated carry ammunition for that reason. It is just a little added insurance that will always cut down on feed friction.

Administrator
    BTW that would be Mec-Gar Magazines and they are the same (or as good as) SIG factory magazines because Mec-Gar manufactures the magazines for SIG.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I should add that often purchasing NICKEL plated cartridge cases will solve that problem also. Because NICKEL is harder than brass and has inherent lubricity and that does cut down on feed friction in moving cartridges out of the magazine, up the breech face, & into the chamber.
    Another useful step is to ensure the magazine, spring and follower are all squeaky clean and lightly lubed. It can also help reduce the risk of pesky binding on the way up into the chamber.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links