**WARNING**Rem. .357 Magnum ammo put in .38 Special boxes.

This is a discussion on **WARNING**Rem. .357 Magnum ammo put in .38 Special boxes. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; **WARNING**Rem. .357 Magnum ammo put in .38 Special boxes. .357 rounds should NOT load into a .38Spl, but apparently they will in some guns. Shooting ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jem102

Thread: **WARNING**Rem. .357 Magnum ammo put in .38 Special boxes.

.357 rounds should NOT load into a .38Spl, but apparently they will in some guns.

Shooting Wire

Chris

2. Remove Ads

Any other info? Thanks for the tip. Be sure to read the headstamps people.

Administrator
    I checked MRS. QKs S&W J Frame a few years ago and .357 Magnum will not chamber in her Smith.

IMHO the only way 357 will chamber in 38spl is if the bullet is seated too deep and the OAL is within 38spl lengths
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The rounds may chamber depending on how the cylinder is reamed. Most 38"s should safely handle the pressure, since J/K frame's are commonly chambered in 357, not that I would recommend it at all, I just don't think it would blow up in your face.

I am surprised they fit in the box.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    IMHO the only way 357 will chamber in 38spl is if the bullet is seated too deep and the OAL is within 38spl lengths
    It's not the COL, the case length is longer than a .38 for that very reason--so it won't fit in a .38.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's not the COL, the case length is longer than a .38 for that very reason--so it won't fit in a .38.
    Maximum length on 38spl is 1.550,case length of a 357 magnum is 1.290,so a 357 case will load into a 38spl chamber with a little over 1/4" from the end of the chamber,like I said the bullet would be set back into the case a lot,but you can load a 357 case into a 38 spl chamber
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Maximum length on 38spl is 1.550,case length of a 357 magnum is 1.290,so a 357 case will load into a 38spl chamber with a little over 1/4" from the end of the chamber,like I said the bullet would be set back into the case a lot,but you can load a 357 case into a 38 spl chamber
    Without moving the bullet into the case quite a bit they wont chamber. Op was saying factory ammo put in the wrong boxes. Reading that getting a box of 357 labeled 38 the cartridge wouldnt go in the revolver anyway.

Sorry but for everyone's safety I must challenge you on this. Please look at your dimensions again, you have digits out of place. If an empty .357 Mag. chambers in your .38 special the gun has out of spec. chambers.
    QKShooter and 40Bob like this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    +1. That's the reason .357's shouldn't fit in a .38 revolver. I agree with 40Bob that it shouldn't be a problem, at least in modern .38's. I'd be especially careful if I had an older revolver that was not designed to handle at least +P pressures.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    The rounds may chamber depending on how the cylinder is reamed. Most 38"s should safely handle the pressure, since J/K frame's are commonly chambered in 357, not that I would recommend it at all, I just don't think it would blow up in your face.

I am surprised they fit in the box.
    You folks are putting out speculation that is going to get someone injured.
    SAAMI limits ARE 17,000 PSI for the .38 Spec., 20,000 PSI for the .38 Spec. +P and 35,000 PSI for the .357 Mag....
    Please, DO NOT FIRE .357 Mag. ammo in a firearm designated for .38 Spec. rounds. Common sense will tell you the firearm must be different to carry the additional 15,000 PSI.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Simple answer is that unless someone has done some very very unusual things to a 38 revolver they will not chamber a 357 mag cartridge. The 357 cartridge is specifically designed NOT to chamber in a 38. Ive never seen one that would I doubt anyone here has either.

Administrator
    I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Sorry but for everyone's safety I must challenge you on this. Please look at your dimensions again, you have digits out of place. If an empty .357 Mag. chambers in your .38 special the gun has out of spec. chambers.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    You folks are putting out speculation that is going to get someone injured.
    SAAMI limits ARE 17,000 PSI for the .38 Spec., 20,000 PSI for the .38 Spec. +P and 35,000 PSI for the .357 Mag....
    Please, DO NOT FIRE .357 Mag. ammo in a firearm designated for .38 Spec. rounds. Common sense will tell you the firearm must be different to carry the additional 15,000 PSI.
    You misunderstand, I did not say it was ok to do so, only that if you somehow put a 357 in and it fit and functioned, a modern 38 special SHOULD not explode in your hand. In no way shape or form did I say it was fine to do so.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Links