Basic Tips on Defensive 9mm Ammo

This is a discussion on Basic Tips on Defensive 9mm Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Forum, Recently bought my first gun: Glock 26 Gen 4. I bought a 2k rounds of Blazer 115gr aluminum for practice, but I was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Basic Tips on Defensive 9mm Ammo

Hi Forum,

Recently bought my first gun: Glock 26 Gen 4. I bought a 2k rounds of Blazer 115gr aluminum for practice, but I was looking for some basic guidance on a good defensive round to keep for nightstand/carry. I thought the larger grain, the better, but then I read that the G26 doesn't like the 146 range.

What's a good, quality, safe defensive round to buy for the G26?
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."
    -- President Ronald Reagan

146, 147... whatever it takes.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I would think your Glock 26 would do just fine with the 147 grain bullets, which is what I generally prefer, but I also would not hesitate to carry 124 grain in one of the better ammo lines. Look at SGAmmo.com for good deals on premium defensive ammo. They have had Federal HST in stock in 124 and 147 lately. Golden Saber is good, as is Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger T.
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    146, 147... whatever it takes.

220, 221...whatever it takes.
    ZX9RCAM likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Spend enough range time to find a round that's utterly reliable in your specific example. With a G26, you shouldn't have a problem finding a solid defensive round that will work. Select a decent JHP cartridge, one that has shown itself (via ballistic gel tests) to have reliable expansion and good penetration.

115gr, 124gr or 147gr should be fine, so long as it's got reliable enough penetration and expansion for the job of defensive ammunition. Not all ammo performs equally, simply based on weight of the bullet.

Beyond that, there are only personal preferences. My choice has been the DoubleTap 9mm JHP 124gr +P. Many rely on the Winchester Ranger T 9mm 124gr +P. Many find the Remington Golden Saber 124gr to feed/cycle highly reliably. So long as it shows itself to be reliable in your own gun, and so long as they exhibit the desired performance characteristics, many of the "top" brand name choices should do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Try several different brands and weights to see what your gun likes for reliability and accuracy. Im a middle of the road kinda guy. And I like something in the 124 grain range.

Hi oltombon;

I don't carry a 9mm with any frequency but do keep some 147 grain Winchester stuff around if I feel the need. I like heavier for caliber bullets.

Here's a little hint for the future.

Rather than "I thought the larger grain, the better..." you might prefer to say "heavier weight."

There's no such thing as "heavier grains." A grain is a unit of weight measure and it takes 7000 grains to equal one pound. Always has and always will.
    OTB and Superhouse 15 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I stick to the 124g +P loads, but I started carrying the critical duty 136g +p. I like to keep the velocity above 1000 ft/s. I would test a few different weights and manufactures to see what feeds and fires reliably in your gun and what you feel the most comfortable with.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post

220, 221...whatever it takes.
    Classic.....

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

-Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

Either 124, 124+p or 147 grain should work just fine. Stick with Speer Gold Dot, Winchester RANGER T or Federal HST.

Another excellent performer is the Speer Gold Dot 124+P Short Barrel that is specifically designed for barrels less than 3.5 inches.

Stay away from anything that is not used by law enforcement or anything that does not have a street record. Does that mean a round that isn't used by LE wouldn't work? No. However with so many variables in defensive shootings you will do well to chose your ammo police style.

I have Speer Gold Dot 124+P in my M&P Compact.

Good Luck

Stay Safe

Brent

I run HST, Gold Dots, and Ranger +p in my Glock 19. I have total confidence in any of those 124 grain loads, even the standard pressure HST and Gold Dots. Lord, I'd hate to get hit with any of it. A guy could mix a drink in the HST cavity.

If my 19 likes all that stuff (and it does), I expect your 26 will as well.

Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    I run HST, Gold Dots, and Ranger +p in my Glock 19. I have total confidence in any of those 124 grain loads, even the standard pressure HST and Gold Dots. Lord, I'd hate to get hit with any of it. A guy could mix a drink in the HST cavity.

If my 19 likes all that stuff (and it does), I expect your 26 will as well.
    I would NOT drink that drink.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Don't stress about brand, or blah, blah, too much. Any info you get will probably be based on cooked up lab tests or personal prejudice.

Any good reputable company will produce ammo that will get er done.

When choosing ammo for a medium caliber, the heavier loadings get my nod for their better penetrating qualities that do not depend on variables like speed , that can be disrupted when striking bone or other material which impedes it, and hence, slowing it down.

Of course, the 124+p loadings can and have proven to work well, however, since you are using a 3.5 inch barrel, they will not reach their full velocity, so you are probably better off to use a 147 grn loading.

Of course, the most important part of the equation, other than reliability, is shot placement.

I would stay away from expensive designer type bullets like Critical Defense or others and stick with a conventional HP.

Once again, don't get caught up in the hype and bs that many induce in.
    Brad426 likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

i use remington ultimate defense 124Gr in my Nano and G19. Shoots well..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links