DT .40 S&W 200gr Nosler JHP, Anyone have experience with this round?

This is a discussion on DT .40 S&W 200gr Nosler JHP, Anyone have experience with this round? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; DoubleTap Ammunition Apparently it is supposed to perform like a 10mm and I assume at 200gr we are looking at some serious real world penetration. ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By ExaltedOne

Thread: DT .40 S&W 200gr Nosler JHP, Anyone have experience with this round?

DoubleTap Ammunition

Apparently it is supposed to perform like a 10mm and I assume at 200gr we are looking at some serious real world penetration. I didn't see a thread dedicated to this round when I searched, so I made this one.

Thinking about buying a box just to try it out.

First of all, no 40 round is going to perform like a 10mm.

Now, I'm not going to copy and paste a bunch of figures, because I have them in my head, but would rather appeal on common sense here.

If you need a 10mm, then buy one. But IMO, after 180 grns of bullet weight, the 40 starts reaching the point of diminishing returns.
    Mike McNett, the owner of DT can do some pretty amazing loads by blending powders. But if you compare his 200 grn 40 loads to his 200 grn 10mm loads, there is a substantial difference.

My favorite 40 load by DT is the 180 grn Nosler load at almost 1100 fps. It has the good balance, and IMO, is the best combination of speed, weight, and bullet construction for an outdoors gun.
    ExaltedOne likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

"My favorite 40 load by DT is the 180 grn Nosler load at almost 1100 fps."

That's a thumping good load by the look of it.

Not familiar enough with the most velocity that may be expected out of the .40. Was thinking that the 180s had a hard time breaking 1000 fps in most pistols. What's the best velocity that may be expected out of a 200 grain bullet in a .40 S&W?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

DT loads the 200 at 1100 and the 180 at 1140, according to their numbers.

But their 200 grn 10mm is 1250.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post

Now, I'm not going to copy and paste a bunch of figures, because I have them in my head, but would rather appeal on common sense here.

If you need a 10mm, then buy one. But IMO, after 180 grns of bullet weight, the 40 starts reaching the point of diminishing returns.
    Mike McNett, the owner of DT can do some pretty amazing loads by blending powders. But if you compare his 200 grn 40 loads to his 200 grn 10mm loads, there is a substantial difference.

My favorite 40 load by DT is the 180 grn Nosler load at almost 1100 fps. It has the good balance, and IMO, is the best combination of speed, weight, and bullet construction for an outdoors gun.
    Don't need a 10mm It's just what I read about this particular load.

How is the recoil of the 180gr nosler as opposed to a "regular" 180gr load?

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Don't need a 10mm It's just what I read about this particular load.

How is the recoil of the 180gr nosler as opposed to a "regular" 180gr load?
    I'm not qualified to say. I don't really pay attention to recoil. To me any autoloader even a 10mm feels like a powder puff.

But I would say that it's not any different than any other 180 grn 40 load.

Well after doing a bit of research on Doubletap ammuntion and comparing it to other manufacturers. Their offerings in.40 S&W numbers wise really don't outperform standard HST, Ranger T and other brands.

Maybe if they were cheaper I would get a 50rd box just to see how they handle in my gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ExaltedOne View Post
    Well after doing a bit of research on Doubletap ammuntion and comparing it to other manufacturers. Their offerings in.40 S&W numbers wise really don't outperform standard HST, Ranger T and other brands.

Maybe if they were cheaper I would get a 50rd box just to see how they handle in my gun.
    I don't think you will find the performance level of DT in the other brands. How many of them offer 200 grn loadings, and hardcast bullets? Underwood ammo is another good choice.
    aus71383 likes this.

I don't think you will find the performance level of DT in the other brands. How many of them offer 200 grn loadings, and hardcast bullets? Underwood ammo is another good choice.
    Yes Underwood is also the better deal as their prices are in the same range as the name brand ammunition.

Specs look to be the same also.
    aus71383 likes this.

Purchased a box of 155gr Underwood ammo and it will arrive on tuesday. I know I won't get 1300fps out of my 3.5" barrel probably more like 1225fps.

I contacted Underwood ammo about the pressure ratings/use of flash suppressing powder of their 155 and 180gr offerings and Kevin replied back to me saying that the rounds are rated at 34,000 psi and yes they do use low flash powder.

I'm not going to copy and paste a bunch of figures, because I have them in my head...
    glockman, I love ya' Bro, but if you start postin' the stuff in your head, I am COMPLETELY OUTTA' HERE AS FAST AS A MINNOW CAN SWIM A DIPPER!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Well my Underwood ammo arrived on monday and I went to the range on tuesday

I must say the 155gr +p has some kick to it, I could definitely feel the difference in recoil and I could feel it in my hand everytime I pulled the trigger. I guess having one box around wouldn't be bad or having one magazine filled with some +p Underwood.

Makes me want to buy a box of the 180gr and 135gr just to compare. I think I will.

Glockman, that's the exact load I carried in my XD40 on my trip to Yellowstone a couple of summers ago. That was not too long after concealed carry in National Parks was finally allowed, and I knew I would be on trails with my wife and kids away from the crowds, and wanted something in my pistol with a little more "umph" than my normal 180 gr Winchester PDX1 carry ammo in case I ran across something that relegated me to a lower link on the food chain. I wasn't going to go buy a big bore revolver and try to conceal it just for the week. I also swapped out my Gold Dot 135gr +p short barrel rounds in my 642 for Buffalo Bore 158gr +p LSWC rounds as well just in case...

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Links