000 vs 00 buck

This is a discussion on 000 vs 00 buck within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Why does it seem like everyone uses 00 buck and not 000 buck? I mean I was bored watching tv and it crossed my mind ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 000 vs 00 buck

000 vs 00 buck

Why does it seem like everyone uses 00 buck and not 000 buck? I mean I was bored watching tv and it crossed my mind and 000 pellets are larger and seem to have the same speed. Why not 000? Kind of like 9 vs 45. I carry 9 its just what I like that's not saying I don't like 45, but if a 45 had the same mag capacity and speed of a 9 that would be a sweet option for carry!

I appreciate any info or knowledge on the subject. Especially before I go out and buy a bunch of 000 lol.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Its mostly a supply thing.

For instance, if the local Walmart supplys only 00 buck, thats what most will use.

In certain parts of the country, people have never even heard of 000.

In some cases, 00 will pattern better than 000.

Both of them will kill anything out there.
    ANGLICO and Caertaker like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I use 00 buck because 1 buck isn't readily available. 000 buck would make larger holes - but fewer of them. If you look at the surface area of each individual pellet, and multiply it by the number of pellets in the shell - 000 buck isn't a very good deal as far as maximum damage. The penetration is certainly going to be better with 000 buck though - if I was planning to shoot through interior walls, I could see choosing 000 buck. But for me - 00 buck is what I have because it's easy to get. 0 buck would be better - 1 buck would be the best.

Austin

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think it's largely availability. Many moons ago when I hunted deer in SC, one fellow used 0 or #1 buck while others stuck to 00. With the limited ranges we hunted, his success rate was much higher that the 00'ers. His claim was more pellets did more damage. I couldn't argue with his success.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

More pellets in a load of 00 than in 000 = more potential wound channels. I doubt anyone seriously questions the ability of 00 to inflict damage, and with 000 you reduce the pellet count significantly although the pellet diameter goes up from 0.33 to 0.36".

If you carry this to an illogical extreme, you end up with... a rifled slug.
    ANGLICO and bmcgilvray like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

000 vs 00 buck

I use #4. I'm not a LEO so I don't need to reach out very far with a shotgun. More than 4 times the payload of 000 and still approx .25 cal pellets. I'm sure there's more than one reason most people use 00buck though. for one, it's a standard police load so its more readily available (try to find some Fed Flight Control in #4 buck sometime at your LGS). I think at home defense ranges, most of the benefit of the heavier/larger shot is lost. just my opinion though. I like the idea of 27 (#4buck) .25 caliber pellets more than 9 (00buck) 30cal or 6 (000) 35cal pellets. any of which would be devastating.

if I was a LEO and had an offensive role for my shotgun, I'd probably go heavier so I could get a bit more distance out of it.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Typically, LE and the military use 9 pellet 00 buck. So that is one reason why it is popular with civilians. Another is that there is a lot more data on how well 00 buck works on live targets, which can be comforting when deciding on a shotgun load.

You can also have "too much of a good thing". Too much penetration, too much recoil, etc. A large part of buckshot's effectiveness isn't in the size of the projectile (though you need some for penetration), but rather in the large number of separate wound channels, causing massive trauma to a much larger area of the body.
    "Hell is truth seen too late."

#4 for home, #00 for the woods...

Lots of debate here and elsewhere on the interweb on this topic...

Good luck in your search.

the6shooter likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

Thanks a lot everyone!

I'm the guy next door that is polite, but does not tell you crap.
    Whatever you use, be aware of the back stop and fragging the people next door.

I agree, unless I go online and buy 000, I never see it locally. As gasmitty said above...........

However, since we are Americans (most of us) and Bigger is Always Better................... Overkill is an Oxymoron!

I have #0 for home defense simply because it was available and #00 was not.

MJK
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

00 will pattern better than 000. But, when it comes to home defense, it shouldn't matter.
    "A free man is he who does not fear to go to the end of his thought."

Why does 00 patern better? Just curious!

Launched at the same velocity as 00 buckshot, 000 buckshot will penetrate slightly farther than 00 buckshot. Of course, 00 buckshot already penetrates quite well, but it offers the option if it is wanted.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links