Flechette Shell

This is a discussion on Flechette Shell within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was cleaning up around the house and came across some flechette shells I acquired many moons ago (decades really). I pretty much regard them ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By paaiyan

Thread: Flechette Shell

Flechette Shell

I was cleaning up around the house and came across some flechette shells I acquired many moons ago (decades really). I pretty much regard them as a novelty but got to wondering if anyone had any experience with the load. As I recall, and like I said its been a while, the round was suppose to perform well in thick cover but having never even shot one of mine I have no idea whether this is true or not. So, anyone out there willing to augment my meager knowlege on this round? Oh, mine are 2 3/4" 12 gauge shells.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

2. Remove Ads

Well why don't you just shoot one and take pictures for us?!
    Dadsnugun likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Don't bring them to Florida as they are prohibited.

Prohibited ammo:
    (f) “Flechette shell” means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels two or more pieces of fin-stabilized solid metal wire or two or more solid dart-type projectiles.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well why don't you just shoot one and take pictures for us?!
    Well I only found 5...
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

There are Videos of people shooting them,and you can still legally buy them,but I saw where they are like $5 each
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Don't bring them to Florida as they are prohibited.

Prohibited ammo:
    (f) “Flechette shell” means any shell that can be fired in a firearm and that expels two or more pieces of fin-stabilized solid metal wire or two or more solid dart-type projectiles.
    Is that an outright prohibition, or just prohibited for hunting?

Regards,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Kilowatt3 View Post
    Is that an outright prohibition, or just prohibited for hunting?

Regards,
    Jim
    It is unlawful in the state of Florida to possess any type of armor-piercing ammunition, Anyone found in possession of such types of ammunition, or offers such ammunition for sale including "dragon's breath" shotgun shells and flachette shells, commits a felony of the third degree punishable by incarceration in a state penitentiary for up to five years. Those in possession of armor-piercing ammunition with the intent to use it commit a felony of the second degree punishable by up to 15 years in a state prison.
    I would say it's Illegal to even Possess them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Law says possess, not possess for the purposes of....
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Look up a youtube video called "Rounds of Authority". They shoot them, and pretty much everything else, in it.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links