9mm "ball" round

9mm "ball" round

This is a discussion on 9mm "ball" round within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have all but decided to go with a 9mm for conceal and carry. I read an article somewhere about how 9mm jhp were less ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Cold Shot
  • 2 Post By SmokinFool

Thread: 9mm "ball" round

9mm "ball" round

I have all but decided to go with a 9mm for conceal and carry. I read an article somewhere about how 9mm jhp were less effective because the hollowpoint was known to collect whatever fabrics the intented target happen to be wearing, and when impacting will not expand.

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if the 9mm ball round will remedy this situation.

Thanks!

VIP Member
    I think you are a bit misinformed.

A HP when fired into barriers, drywall and so on, does have a tendency to fill the HP with whatever materials it hits and can act in a similar manner to a FMJ round this was one of the reasons/theories used for entry teams switching to/justifying the 5.56 round inside buildings. The super fast round when hitting a solid object tended to fragment and not penetrate the object.

Any HP round if forced to go through several layers of jackets, shirts and so on will begin to expand as it hits the soft fabric and can/will take some of the material with it into the wound cavity. For many years this is why many police departments and civilian carriers either switched to or supplemented with FMJ or soft point rounds in the winter months to give better penetration of heavy jackets or multiple layers of clothing. Such started the practice of stacking mags, loading a combo of HP, SP and/or ball ammo in the same mag.

Today with modern bullet design this is not really needed. Ball ammo is touted by many as ineffective and many more have worries of shooting through the target, to each his own. I am restricted to ball ammo as is the military however I do not feel under gunned or consider it ineffective.

Choose a quality HP, train with your weapon and go on about your business. Welcome to the forum.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Great advice. You definately cleared up some of my misinformation. I see you are relegated to using the ball round, but I'd be interested in knowing what your preferred round would be for a 9mm.

Yep, what Tacman Said. And ball ammo will almost certainly never expand, so load up with you JHP and forget about it.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    I have all but decided to go with a 9mm for conceal and carry. I read an article somewhere about how 9mm jhp were less effective because the hollowpoint was known to collect whatever fabrics the intented target happen to be wearing, and when impacting will not expand.
    Recent manufacture premium JHP ammunition is designed to minimize this issue. Stick with a high-quality JHP from Federal, Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedimitrius View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has had experience with this and if the 9mm ball round will remedy this situation.

Thanks!
    FMJs will not remedy the situation and will, in fact, produce tremendous penetration in human targets.

According to the Schwartz bullet penetration equations, a 9mm 115gr FMJRN @ 1155fps will penetrate to depth of 26.3 inches, a 9mm 124gr FMJRN @ 1120fps will penetrate to a depth of 27.9 inches, and a 9mm 147gr FMJFN @ 1000fps will penetrate to a depth of 32.1 inches- and all of these options will tend to pass through a human body with very little soft tissue damage. This not desirable performance for self-defense ammunition.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

In regards to the article you read do you know the time frame in which it was written?

Federal HST, Winchester Ranger T/PDX1, Speer, Remington Golden Saber are all quality top of the line JHP ammunition and you really can't go wrong with those mentioned. Don't put trash in your gun because it isn't a dumpster.

Also do your own research on the brands mentioned to see which one or ones will best suit your needs and more importantly feed properly into your gun.

Here are some links to get you started.
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_De...icturerev3.jpg

Hp 9mm round not effective. Ive yet to find a volunteer for testing to stand down range a catch a few rounds to see how they do.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The possibility of a HP plugging up in any caliber exists. Then you have an effective FMJ. So essentially you are faced with a HP that may not expand versus a FMJ that will not expand. Tha caliber is irrelevent.
    lchamp and Fisher10 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Hp 9mm round not effective. Ive yet to find a volunteer for testing to stand down range a catch a few rounds to see how they do.
    If I only had a nickel...
    aus71383 and 481 like this.

Go with HP's. If they do their job and expand, great! If not, you're no worse off than if you had used FMJ's in the first place.
    Fisher10 and rammerjammer like this.

Sponsored Links