9mm Winchester white box 147gr hollow points?

This is a discussion on 9mm Winchester white box 147gr hollow points? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone used these? I've read 147gr aren't very reliable in 9mm. I picked up 100 rounds of it yesterday on accident (well it was ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Fisher10
  • 1 Post By sioux565

Thread: 9mm Winchester white box 147gr hollow points?

9mm Winchester white box 147gr hollow points?

Has anyone used these? I've read 147gr aren't very reliable in 9mm. I picked up 100 rounds of it yesterday on accident (well it was more Wally worlds awesome support staff fault) but I'm just wondering if these are reliable enough to carry in my gun until I have a chance to go to the range and try them out for myself. I mean 50 rounds for the price of 20 "specialty" hollow points is a pretty good deal,

2. Remove Ads

WWB 147gr JHP's are plenty good to for self defense. I carry 9mm 147gr as they have much better penetration than the lighter bullets. Most service size pistols should have no trouble with the heavier bullet.
    Most problems with the 147gr ammo is with the smaller 9mm's that may have trouble feeding the longer nose of the bullet. Give 'em a try in your pistol, but I would and have no trouble carrying these for
    self defense with confidence.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

For those who like the WinchesterUSA 9mm 147 gr. "not premium" JHPs, this might be of interest-

I tested this round in water (a valid tissue simulant) quite some time ago and the analysis below uses the recovery data to yield a prediction of the test bullet's performance in calibrated 10% ordnance gelatin.

Here is the Schwartz bullet penetration model analysis for the test:

WinchesterUSA 9mm 147 gr. JHP (USA9JHP2) v. four layers of 2 ounce cotton fabric

Recovered Projectile Data:
    Average Recovered Diameter: 0.583 inch (1.645x caliber)
    Retained Mass: 147.6 grains
    Impact Velocity: 979.2 feet per second

Predicted Performance:
    Penetration Depth (S) = 33.508 cm (13.192 inches)
    Permanent Wound Cavity Mass (MPC) = 49.163 grams (1.734 ounces)

I think it did surprisingly well for "economy" ammo.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Sweet! Thank you guys, I carry a glock 19 so I think it should have no problem loading those rounds.

I will offer my opinion, worth what you paid for it.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur and I can remember when the 147gr JHP became the preferred load. It did not have good results on "the street" despite performance predictions on paper. (wow, that's a 2am sentence). They gained a reputation for underpenetrating cover and overpenetrating people. This is the performance that led everyone to the .40. Today, the people that always liked the 9mm 147gr still like it, and some of the ones who remember the performance admit that with good, modern, "high tech" loads the 147 is as good as the other 9mm loads. The plain JHP was still the one that got this load a bad reputation for about 10 years of LEO use.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Personally, I would toss that box into your SHTF stash and carry a premium load like Winchester Ranger-T, Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.
    TNoutdoors9 did a test using that round. It didn't do very well when it encountered denim... REtest: 9mm Winchester WWB 147 gr JHP w/ denim (HD) - YouTube

I think I am more accurate with 147gr bullets in my handloads than 115gr.
    I prefer medium to heavy bullets. I carry 147gr+P HSTs.
    sioux565 likes this.

[QUOTE=AngryBadger417;2494002 I mean 50 rounds for the price of 20 "specialty" hollow points is a pretty good deal,[/QUOTE]

We'll see how good of a deal it was when one or more of the rounds fail in a critical situation. In all seriousness, test your carry ammo before you actually carry it.
    Fisher10 likes this.

I had some years ago before I bought my G-19's. In my Taurus PT-99 it keyholed. The bullet and barrel did not like each other. I went to Winchester Silvertips. Now I use Ranger T's in my G-19's. The Taurus sits in the Safe.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I shoot and carry them all the time in my LC9. They are reliable in my LC9. They are cheap. I like Winchester brass for reloading.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

It was one of the first rounds I tested in media other than wet phone books and it didn't do very well. I shot up the boxes I had as new gun break in ammo. Love the accuracy and recoil. Don't like the terminal performance from a short barrel 9mm. Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics test - Diamondback DB9 - Know Your Load!

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I carry either Federal HST/Ranger T series or Speer Gold Dot,you can find Ranger T and Speer Gold Dot online in 50 round boxes for under $30 a box if you save up and buy about 6 or more boxes at a time you can split shipping costs over several boxes which is usually about the same as paying sales tax at the store.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There are better choices for SD rounds but I have 6 boxes in my BOB for emergency, they feed reliably in my 3 9mm's.

Perfect for use with a silencer...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links