Remington 38 ammo

Remington 38 ammo

This is a discussion on Remington 38 ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just received 4 boxes of Remington 38 special +P 158GR. LHP R38S12 Bought from a big name ammo dealer this is supposed to be new ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Snub_Fan
  • 1 Post By Ljutic

Thread: Remington 38 ammo

Remington 38 ammo

Just received 4 boxes of Remington 38 special +P 158GR. LHP R38S12
    Bought from a big name ammo dealer this is supposed to be new production ammo. It LOOKS dirty like it was rolling around on the floor. And it has traces of pink color around the rim and primer cup. Not every round, maybe a 1/3 of them. AND in one box two rounds were SJHP. Hope it shoots better than it looks. Any one else have this experience with this ammo?

That is scary. I would not shoot that. Send it back for a refund if possible? Or call the manufacturer. <--- this is what I would do.

Who did you buy this from?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Snub_Fan View Post
    Just received 4 boxes of Remington 38 special +P 158GR. LHP R38S12
    And it has traces of pink color around the rim and primer cup. Not every round, maybe a 1/3 of them. AND in one box two rounds were SJHP. Hope it shoots better than it looks. Any one else have this experience with this ammo?
    Traces of pink could be primer sealant. If it looks brushed on, that's what it is. Two rounds of SJHP in the box deserves a trip back to the seller.

Curious who the seller was.

Depending on what barrel length revolver you are using it in, it should do good to great things. Pocket Guns and Gear: Remington 38 Special +P 158 Grain LHP Denim and Gel test
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Seller was Ammunition To Go. I'll contact them and see what they say.

(EDIT) Ammo To Go referred me to Remington who said they're sending me a return shipping label. They will test the ammo and determine if I'm due a refund or replace. ATG did say to let them know if Remington doesn't do right by me.
    aus71383 likes this.

Is lead fouling a problem with this load? I have always hesitated using unjacketed lead rounds in my CCW guns.

The Remington version of the +P 158 grain load give a little more velocity than the Winchester or Federal versions. Several sources have claimed this and it proved true for me in chronograph tests. It also is said to give slightly more expansion. I've not tested that feature though. The bullet seems to be soft lead.

It's considered a pretty good .38 Special load.

It might lead a bit if shot in quantity but for self-defense purposes and at self-defense ranges, leading wouldn't be a concern.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Just posted this on the blog earlier today. Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Speer 38 Special +P Short Barrel Gold Dot Hollow Point If you run down to the bottom of the article, you will see comparison data and pictures of the two Gold Dot 38 +P and Rem LSWCHP recovered bullets. I'm actually impressed that the 158 came in at 860 fps.

bmcgilvray likes this.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarineDad View Post
    Is lead fouling a problem with this load? I have always hesitated using unjacketed lead rounds in my CCW guns.
    It's not a problem if you clean your gun after you shoot it. If you're that concerned about it & are interested in shooting lead projo's, Shooter's Choice makes a cleaning solvent geared specifically to removing lead. Link -
    midwayusa.com/product/398676/shooters-choice-lead-remover-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-liquid . Birchwood Casey has a lead removing cloth that you can cut into the appropriate sized patches to swab your barrel with.
    Lastly, there is the Lewis Lead Remover. Link - justforcombat.com/Lewis-Lead-Remover-Lead-Remover-Kit-9mm38_i20403 . It does an excellent job of removing lead from barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by bodhisattvya View Post
    It's not a problem if you clean your gun after you shoot it. If you're that concerned about it & are interested in shooting lead projo's, Shooter's Choice makes a cleaning solvent geared specifically to removing lead. Link -
    midwayusa.com/product/398676/shooters-choice-lead-remover-bore-cleaning-solvent-4-oz-liquid . Birchwood Casey has a lead removing cloth that you can cut into the appropriate sized patches to swab your barrel with.
    Lastly, there is the Lewis Lead Remover. Link - justforcombat.com/Lewis-Lead-Remover-Lead-Remover-Kit-9mm38_i20403 . It does an excellent job of removing lead from barrels.

Thanks for the links. I have never shot that type of round and was just not sure how easily or quickly the lead would build up.

Links