Best Hollow Points for a Glock?

This is a discussion on Best Hollow Points for a Glock? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was wondering if there is a brand of hollow point ammunition that feeds better in a Glock? One of my instructors says he will ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Best Hollow Points for a Glock?

Best Hollow Points for a Glock?

I was wondering if there is a brand of hollow point ammunition that feeds better in a Glock? One of my instructors says he will only use Winchester Ranger HP's because the tip is nice and smoothly tapered + they expand with "pedals". This is for defensive carry. I'm just trying to avoid a jam. What do you all use and why?

For home defense, I use .40 Speer Gold Dots.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Most hollow point ammunition should feed fine in a Glock. Most ammunition of any type will feed fine in a Glock. If it doesn't, it's not a matter of the Glock's design, but the fact that the particular gun you have might not like a specific type of ammunition. 99.999% of all Glocks should feed any modern JHP ammunition without malfunctions.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by ddclancy View Post
    ...a brand of hollow point ammunition that feeds better in a Glock?...he will only use Winchester Ranger HP's because... This is for defensive carry...For home defense, I use .40 Speer Gold Dots.
    Welcome to the forum. Why would you decide to use Speer Gold Dots for "home defense", yet want a different recommendation for "defensive carry"? Do any of your Gold Dots FTF/FTE?
    I'm just trying to avoid a jam...
    I try to avoid jams both at home...and EDC.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have never had any FTF or FTE in my model 19 but I always use Gold Dots unless I am target shooting.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I'm just trying to avoid a jam.
    By buying a Glock you've taken a step in the right direction.

I use 9mm Speer GD for defense but I haven't had any feed problems with anything in my Glocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Why would you decide to use Speer Gold Dots for "home defense", yet want a different recommendation for "defensive carry"? Do any of your Gold Dots FTF/FTE? I try to avoid jams both at home...and EDC.
    Good point, I see the contradiction. I decided to go with Speer because after research, it seemed like a great round. I have never had an FTF or FTE, so it sounds like changing makes no sense.

There ya' go! GLOCKs eat ammo like rats eat Cheetos. And it's tough to find ANY AMMO they don't effectively digest. Speer Gold Dots are among the most proven, reliable & trusted premium defensive ammo choices available. You're doing just fine.
    daddysgirl likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I've never had a jam of any kind with any of my Glocks. In my .45 I use 230 +P HST, in my 10mm I use Underwood 165 Gold Dot, and in my wife's 9mm we use 147 grain HST. I think you can pick anything you want and it will run fine. It is always a good idea to test your carry ammo for function by firing it in your gun.

Austin

Just buy whatever brand is available in a name you recognize. It'll function just fine. The small differences in ammo will probably not be noticed by a BG you just popped. The gap has really been closed when talking about the differences in defensive loads. Shoot whatever good quality HP you want, and feel confident.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have several different brands as they all feed well thru my G30. I think this subject is way over thought. Placed correctly, I think my Gold Dots will perform just as well as my PDX1s, which work as well as my Hyra-shoks, which work as well as . . . well, you get the picture.

Find a reputable SD ammo that feeds reliably in your gun and practice putting them where it counts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'm drawing a blank in trying to think of any round that my Glocks won't feed.

I also carry PDX1 over Gold Dot, simply because my Walmart carries them cheaper. I see little difference in their performance.

My GLOCK 22 will feed empty brass, if I rack the slide violently enough. Never found any quality/factory loads she doesn't like, but like your instructor advised, each weapon has it's own personality. You'll figure it out. Be safe.
    aus71383 likes this.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

Gold Dots and HSTs in my Glocks and never a problem.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    My G30 eats them all

No FTF/FTE issues with any of my Glocks regardless of ammo brand or type. I shoot Federal HST's for all my defense needs.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Iraq 2004 to 2011.
    Afghanistan 2012 to present.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links