9mm +p+ in g19?

9mm +p+ in g19?

This is a discussion on 9mm +p+ in g19? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went ot a gun shop that I dont usually go to to get some 9mm ammo for my glock 19. I was looking for ...

Thread: 9mm +p+ in g19?

Lightbulb 9mm +p+ in g19?

I went ot a gun shop that I dont usually go to to get some 9mm ammo for my glock 19. I was looking for some +P or +P+ for carry purposes. The sales man told me I cant shoot +P+ and wouldn't recomend shooting +P either. I read gun mags that do reviews on both and it seems to be ok. Just wanted to hear what you think.

Well, the salesman is an idiot IMHO. A glock 19, can take +p and +p+, and never blink. Now I will say that rounds like these can speed the wear on your glock a little, but plenty of law enforcement agencies use 9mm in +p and +p+ with no ill effects. So in a nutshell, go for it. I, as well as MANY others carry and shoot with +p or +p+ ammo, and our guns have yet to fall apart on us. Now what he may have been trying to comment on was a slighty greater risk of over penetration with higher velocity rounds, but I see it this way: if some agencies choose .357 sig as their carry round then I should be more han ok with a little +p or +p+

Happy shooting
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Senior Moderator
    A couple of things, carrying +p+, as many LEO may, doesn't cause any problems at all, but how many shoot +p+ on a regular basis? Not many. Purportedly, most LEO only shoot their weapons during quals, and then they may shoot shoot range ammo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the .357 Sig and .40 cal. Glocks have a stronger recoil spring than the 9mm versions. If so, shooting +p+ in a 9mm with a 9mm recoil spring may have some accumulative effects.

Yeah, that gun shop clearly doesn't know whats going on. The Glock manual talks about this issue and as long as you glock is past a certain date (80's I think) it is fine for P+. If your worried about parts wearing out well, that is called wear and tear and the only solution is to not shoot a gun. I use Cor-bon P+ in my 19 and it works fine. Happy shooting.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    G19 with +P+ is fine. You might want to change your recoil spring and guide rod after 5000 or so rds.

Wear on your Glock ?? Shooting +P thru your Glock will make it brake.......probably before your great,great,great,great, grankid can inherate it.

I talked to a guy at a IDPA shoot awhile back that was using a ratty looking gen1,Glock17. He told me that he had 120,000 rds. thru it. He came in second. -------

In reference to Tangle's question, the recoil springs in the same sizes of 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W are the same. So for the Glock 19, 23, and 32 the factory spring is I think 18 lbs. And for the fulls size of these calibers, i think its the same deal. But if I'm wrong, someone please do not hesitate to correct me.

Thanks
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at...

Thanks, I had the same question. I had a G19 but no where in the manual could I find out if +P ammos was ok. I have shot some but was reluctant to continue using it. My reason for wanting to use it is because of late I have been reading where the 9mm was not a good man-stopper, and rather than trade up to a .40 S&W, I would prefer to use the +Ps to up the stopping power.

sometimes workers/owners of gun shops don't have the full story. the g19 will shoot +p+ and you will not have any problems. i look in the g19 owner’s manual and i could not find anything against the +p+ ammo.

Your Glock was actually designed around European 9mm ammo - which is significantly hotter than American loads. I would bet a hundred bucks that your 19 will go 100,000 rounds of +p or +p+ before it shows any significant wear, or incurs a parts breakage that is related to ammo pressure.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    The gunshop commandos don't always know everything. I think your Glock can handle the +P+ just fine. As others have stated, you could shoot tons of it and have no problems.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

thanks again .....
    didn't think it would be a problem
    keep shooting..

Sponsored Links