hollow points in .45 ACP Defender

This is a discussion on hollow points in .45 ACP Defender within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone heard of a feed misfire or ejection problem with hollow points in a Colt Defender .45 ACP?...

Has anyone heard of a feed misfire or ejection problem with hollow points in a Colt Defender .45 ACP?

Here it is almost 5 hrs since post and no replys so i guess its safe to assume the articles i read have no validity. Thanks for reading my post. Ill just shoot and hope fro the best.

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar

Re: hollow points in .45 ACP Defender

not nessarly true. I don't have any experience with the gun and likely others so far who have read your post has either. I'm sure if someone can help you out and has the experience with the gun they will take the time and answer your question.

Sent using my phone.

If a specifc example of 1911 has trouble feeding something it's no big deal for a gunsmith to get it worked out.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

I wouldn't worry about it. Most good HP designs with an round nose profile feed like fmj.
    And fmj is a good choice in the short barreled guns too.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

No Colt here, but I DO have a Para P-14. Mine feeds all kinds of ammunition with no problems. Over the years, the only feeding problem I have ever heard of with 1911s is with hollow points. I have heard of a few that have had difficulty feeding hollow points, but after they have been tuned (usually have had the feed ramps worked on by a gunsmith) they have always worked fine.

I am sorry you had to wait for more than five hours, but ..... Oh well, why start a flame war.

Good luck with your Colt.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

In my experience, the Remington Gold Saber has a very round profile, a small hollowpoint opening, and a hard jacket. It feeds like FMJ and expands well. If you can find any, it should be the go-to load for reliability.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

HIGHPOCKETS , wasn't trying to start anything but usually if you ask a question you get a pretty quick response. I just figured that with no responses in that time what i read was BUNK!

GH
    I have no experience with the Defender but I always polish the feed ramp of every semi-auto I get before using it. I usually start with jacking out the rounds from several full magazines. Then I'll take coarse paper (NOT sandpaper) & rub the ramp hard. I suppose a very fine steel wool could be used but I've never had the need to use it. I wind up with a nice shiny ramp. The last gun I did this with was on a Sigma 40VE & have had absolutely no feed problems using Federal HST 180 gr bonded, Speer Gold Dot JHP 165 gr & Federal American Eagle FMJ 165 gr.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I shoot the Federal 185 grain JHP in my Defender. No trouble. Try the ammo you want to shoot before you do anything to your gun. The Federal 230 grain HydraShok also feeds in mine.

Links