Defensive Carry banner

hollow points in .45 ACP Defender

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ranch23 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard of a feed misfire or ejection problem with hollow points in a Colt Defender .45 ACP?

#6 ·
No Colt here, but I DO have a Para P-14. Mine feeds all kinds of ammunition with no problems. Over the years, the only feeding problem I have ever heard of with 1911s is with hollow points. I have heard of a few that have had difficulty feeding hollow points, but after they have been tuned (usually have had the feed ramps worked on by a gunsmith) they have always worked fine.

I am sorry you had to wait for more than five hours, but ..... Oh well, why start a flame war.

Good luck with your Colt.

#7 ·
In my experience, the Remington Gold Saber has a very round profile, a small hollowpoint opening, and a hard jacket. It feeds like FMJ and expands well. If you can find any, it should be the go-to load for reliability.

#9 ·
I have no experience with the Defender but I always polish the feed ramp of every semi-auto I get before using it. I usually start with jacking out the rounds from several full magazines. Then I'll take coarse paper (NOT sandpaper) & rub the ramp hard. I suppose a very fine steel wool could be used but I've never had the need to use it. I wind up with a nice shiny ramp. The last gun I did this with was on a Sigma 40VE & have had absolutely no feed problems using Federal HST 180 gr bonded, Speer Gold Dot JHP 165 gr & Federal American Eagle FMJ 165 gr.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.