Kimber 1911 Ultra Crimson Carry - Federal HST

This is a discussion on Kimber 1911 Ultra Crimson Carry - Federal HST within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife surprised me with a Kimber 1911 for Christmas (yep, she's a pretty good lady)! This will become a regular carry in the future. ...

My wife surprised me with a Kimber 1911 for Christmas (yep, she's a pretty good lady)!

This will become a regular carry in the future. I've used Federal HST Tactical in other caliber and been happy with it. So, I'm looking at the 45 ACP Federal LE Tactical HST 230gr. +P HP ammo for the Kimber.

Any reason not to use this or to choose something else (not looking to debate ammo).

Thanks!
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Kimber 1911 Ultra Crimson Carry - Federal HST

Federal HST is what I shoot in mine, love it.

I skip the +p myself though.

Personally, as long as it feeds reliably in your new Kimber UCCT I don't see any reason not to go HST. +P or not +P would be my only question. The non +P seems to work fine in shorter barrels.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Clear Gel Terminal testing Federal Premium 45 Auto 230 Grain HST

Congratulations on such a fine gift.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

VIP Member
    Sounds good. hope you have a quality holster for it.

Sweet! I need me one of those
    "The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Sounds good. hope you have a quality holster for it.
    Thanks guys. Any place better than Ammo To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! Cheaper Than Dirt is currently on my do not support list.

I'll be making a holster very soon.
    Gun control is not about the guns...It's about the control.

Current primary carry: M&P9C - Soon to be Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II

NRA Lifer

Ammunition Depot sends me samples for testing and I find their prices to be better than most. Highly recommend them if they have what you are looking for, which in this case they do.

http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Searc...rch&Click=2968
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Katoom View Post
    Thanks guys. Any place better than Ammo To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs! Cheaper Than Dirt is currently on my do not support list.

I'll be making a holster very soon.
    sgammo.com

Congrats! Sounds like your wife is definitely a keeper! As for HST's in your new pistol, it should be fine but you may want to get a fairly small order for the first time so you can verify its reliability. They work fine in my Ultra CDP but some sub-compacts have issues with such a wide-mouthed round as the HST, and this seems to be more a factor of each individual specimen rather than a specific make or model.

HST is what I use in my EDC. Use the +P if you are using a sub-compact gun (less than 4" barrel). This will help offset the loss of velocity from the shorter barrel and make sure the hollow point opens as designed. Ammunition Depot is a good spot to obtain the HST ammo. I tried the water jug test over Thanksgiving break and it's just like the YouTube videos. The expanded HST bullet is a nasty looking thing in 9mm. I can't imagine what the .45 acp would look like but I'm sure it would make an extremely large hole in someone.

My wife also gave me a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II for Christmas this year. Finally got to shoot it for the first time today. All I can say is, "Wow!". I absolutely LOVE it. Not even a hiccup out of it. Gonna take some getting used to since all my other pistols have been 9mm Berettas. Shot 50 WWB through it first and then a full mag of Hornady Critical Defense just to make sure they would feed ok. No problems at all. All in all, I'm very pleased with my new friend.

I'd skip the +P since it's an alloy frame gun. The bullet will still "work" even with the slight velocity loss from the shorter barrel.

ammotogo is good, I've also gotten HST from streichers.com in the past for reasonable prices.

Austin

Links