Horandy Ammo

Horandy Ammo

This is a discussion on Horandy Ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Over Christmas I went shooting out doors with nephews. Most times for me is indoor range. I took my 442 . I had decided to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Horandy Ammo

Horandy Ammo

Over Christmas I went shooting out doors with nephews.

Most times for me is indoor range.

I took my 442 .

I had decided to shoot the 5 rounds of the hollow point horandy that I always carry in it .

Those rounds are about two years old , I fire the 442 with regular range ammo about 4 to 5 times a year.

The horandy had a problem pull trigger and round was weak and stuck in barrel happend twice

The stuck round came out fairley easy with a small dowel and hammer .

After 2nd round did the same I dumped those other 3 and we ran over 50 regular threw it with out a hitch.

Leasson learned no more holding old ammo ever

its Hornady LOL thats the problem. almost had it happen with the wifes .380 was it critical defense ammo ??

Re: Horandy Ammo

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    its Hornady LOL thats the problem. almost had it happen with the wifes .380 was it critical defense ammo ??
    Is this a big problem with Hornady ammo? I'm carrying z-max in my bg380 right now cause it seems to have better penetration then other brands but now you've got me wondering.

Yea, from what ive been reading and doing testing of my own.. Ive tested alot of different ammo, and just am not impressed with Hornadys bullets, if you want a good round for your .380 the Speer Gold Dots and Winchester PDX-1 ive tested works great, also, double taps 90grain all cooper bullet works pretty decent, I have not tested this round yet into my gel, but from what Ive seen its a pretty decent performer... I think Hornadys quality control has gone arye..

Two year old ammunition should never be a problem unless it was seriously mistreated. Hornandy ammo seems to have it's share of problems. I've seen their critical defense misfeed or a regular basis in some guns that have zero problem with other major self defense brands. For two year old ammo it should be fine, if it produced squib loads I'd call the manufacturer and at least ask if there was a recall on any lots that were in the market around the time you purchased yours. If you had the box even better.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I wont load Hornady ammo in my gun especially after their Critical duty gave me unbelievable problems with numerous failures to feed, I assume its the rubber tip. Regardless of the reason I wont deal with them anymore

There are tons of other ammo options out there EO. (if you can find ammo, that is)
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

For what it's worth ..... I've shot 50 rounds of Critcial Duty through my SR9c without any problems. But then again I've shot over 750 rounds of a "little bit of everything" through it without any incidents.

At some point moisture has gotten into the OP's ammo, its that simple.
    Hornady ammo is fine, but like all ammo moisture,sweat,water are its enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
    At some point moisture has gotten into the OP's ammo, its that simple.
    Hornady ammo is fine, but like all ammo moisture,sweat,water are its enemy.
    Even more of a reason to choose a self defense ammunition that is sealed.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

I have their critical duty in my gun. Supposed to meet FBI protocol. I ran several boxes through my gun before loading them for self defense. Not a single issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Wing View Post
    Over Christmas I went shooting out doors with nephews.

Most times for me is indoor range.

I took my 442 .

I had decided to shoot the 5 rounds of the hollow point horandy that I always carry in it .

Those rounds are about two years old , I fire the 442 with regular range ammo about 4 to 5 times a year.

The horandy had a problem pull trigger and round was weak and stuck in barrel happend twice

The stuck round came out fairley easy with a small dowel and hammer .

After 2nd round did the same I dumped those other 3 and we ran over 50 regular threw it with out a hitch.

Leasson learned no more holding old ammo ever
    Just curious, have you pocket carried that gun with those rounds for 2 years? That could be allot of heat/moisture. Regarless of the issue it's good you decided to shoot them before you found yourself in a SD situation. Personally I like to shoot my carry ammo every 3 months at the longest duration. The best way to know its working to to use it. I'd rather pay to replace it than pay with my families life if it didn't perform when I needed it to.
    AZ_Larz_NY, kmagnuss and sixgun like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Just curious, have you pocket carried that gun with those rounds for 2 years? That could be allot of heat/moisture. Regarless of the issue it's good you decided to shoot them before you found yourself in a SD situation. Personally I like to shoot my carry ammo every 3 months at the longest duration. The best way to know its working to to use it. I'd rather pay to replace it than pay with my families life if it didn't perform when I needed it to.
    Yes GetSmith , I would remove them while at range and run regular ammo , after cleaning those same rounds would get re loaded.

I am now with you 110% on a 3 month shelf in all my EDC rotations . .32, .380 , 38, and 9mm.

Btw the reason I decided to run those was I had the very same thing happen with my .380 about a month ago.

That was not with Horandy but I think gold dot every one of those rounds where a no fire in that mag .

All EDC listed are front pocket carry in black hawk holsters I am useing a one month daily rotation.

Yes its warm here and yes all are very well kept and cleaned .

Wonder if the gun oils could be a problem ??.

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Yes it is the critical defense . But I brought 5 new rounds of critical defense that had never been in gun .

They where fine I am starting to think it may be the gun oils causeing this .

Do to the same thing happing with my .380 and anonther brand of ammo.

My new deal is 3 month max in any of them run them and be done with it .

Lesson learned times two

Too much lube in a gun can cause problems especially the Penetrating Oils that will migrate everywhere including to the primers in your bullets. My Glocks get greased in 5 places only. My revolvers get cleaned and lubed only on the cyclinder and crane assembly. They then get wiped down thoroughly. I read years ago about a Security Officer that cleaned his gun and loaded the cylinder and then sprayed it down with WD-40. He wound up in a gun fight and his gun would not shoot as the WD-40 had migrated into his primers it was later found. I have no spray lubricants in my shop, only greases in small tubes that are high temp and stay put where they are dabbed onto.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links