Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC. - Page 2

Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC.

This is a discussion on Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As for the rating on the Chief's Special model 60 - I would email S&W and ask them. Apparently the frame was updated in 1996 ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC.

As for the rating on the Chief's Special model 60 - I would email S&W and ask them.

Apparently the frame was updated in 1996 and since then the gun has been available in both .38 and .357. So if it were me, I would feel comfortable shooting +Ps out of the post 1996 framed versions. I'd stick with the standard pressure .38s in yours. Smith & Wesson Model 60 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (I didn't check these facts). +P is a slight difference....the standard loads do fine - especially with a heavy bullet for some decent penetration/momentum.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Nmuskier's Avatar
    Yes, 230 gr .45 is the way to go. My choice for defensive ammo is Federal HST, but Remington is ok too. Is also go heavier for your .38 load. Speer has a quality load.

Distinguished Member Array brocktice's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I'd look at the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain load
    Austin
    I have the Gold Dot Short Barrels for my New Agent (3"), they shoot like a dream, and cycle it reliably. I got the 230 grain loads though, these ones.

Quote Originally Posted by capnbo View Post
    Appears that all of you shoot 230 gr in your .45's. I will try the federal and dots when I shoot through the 185 gr golden sabres I have ordered. Thanks all.
    Not all of us....I prefer the 185 gr as long as it is sporting the BARNES TAC-XP all copper bullet. Asym Precision, Cor-Bon and Double Tap to name a few.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links