Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC.

This is a discussion on Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC. within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the preparation stages for concealed carry and after researching ammo I am considering the following: In my sig P220 carry, Remmington golden Sabre 185 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ammo choices for .45 and .38 DC.

In the preparation stages for concealed carry and after researching ammo I am considering the following: In my sig P220 carry, Remmington golden Sabre 185 gr HP and for my SW model 60 Chief Special Speer Gold Dot 125gr HP +P.
    Any other loads I should consider? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I have not shot the gold dots out of my LCR yet but do have Buffalo Bores standard pressure(more like +P) LSWCHP and they kick quite a bit. Both loads should be good.

In my .45 ACP, I carry Federal Personal Protection Hydro Shock. Easy to shoot, reliable, nice expansion. and something to think about, if you ever had to use your weapon in a defensive shooting incident, I would think that the fact that the box of ammo you used said "Personal Protection" and not something like "Extra Deadly". A small thing but I have been on the witness stand many times and the opposing attorney (whether defense or prosecutorial) will make a mountain out of any available mole hill.
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

It is important to remember that you need to shoot several loads to find what shoots the best in your carry guns. With that being said I have 3 .45Auto's all of them shoot some loads better than others my H&K shoots 200gr good dots my smith 457S shoots Remington golden saber 185gr and my Smith M&P shoots 230gr Ranger Talons. It is iortamt to test several proven self defense loads what gives you the best accuracy you take. I have shot a ton of loads through my Smith 642 to include buffalo bore, golden sabers, the FIB load but nothing shoots better in my 642 than Speer 125gr Gold Dots.

Thank you Jacobman and Manan for the info. Will take your advice and try other brands and loads Sig-man when I shoot through the sabre's and dots and compare performance.

Do some research, one place that is good is YouTube...tnoutdoors 9 channel has a lot of great videos. I like them both I have two pistols that absolutely love the gold dots, but there is nothing wrong with the golden sabers.
    aus71383 likes this.

I'd like you to study these results. As has been stated, buy a few boxes and make sure that your gun shoots your carry ammo flawlessly. This is a time when trying to save a few bucks is a bad decision. Buy a couple of boxes of what ever you decide and shoot them. Demand 100% reliability.

Link: http://shootingmessengers.blogspot.com/2006/05/wound-ballistic-workshop.html
    NRA Member
    I carry a .45 because they don't make a .46
    www.ShootersEar.com

thanks to all for your comments and input.

The 220 Carry is essentially a 4-inch gun. I see no reason to go with lightweight rounds until the .45 barrel length is close to 3 inches, so the 230-grain loads get my nod. Subject to what runs well in your gun, I'd be looking at 230 JHPs from the major producers - Win, Fed, Remington, Hornady, Speer.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I also prefer 230 grain ammo in .45 ACP. If you buy the LE stuff in a 50 round box online it's usually ~$0.50 a shot, while the store bought ammo is usually $1+ per round in a 20 or 25 round box. I have the Federal HST1 as my .45 ammo - but there are plenty of good ones out there. Nothing wrong with the 185 Golden Sabers either.

I'd look at the Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain load, or else one of the classic 158 grain LSWCHPs for 38 special. Be sure your gun is rated for +P before shooting anything +P out of it.

Austin

Good suggestions all thanks. Austin the model 60 SW Chief Special is from the late 60's. Where do check out the rating for this gun?

I prefer 230 Grain JHP rounds in my 3" Kimber, and they function flawlessly. Federal Hydra Shock is what I'm carrying today. Like everyone else though, I'd recommend you shoot a few different rounds, to find what works best for you, in your weapon(s).

Be safe.
    " But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself... Baa." Col. Dave Grossman on Sheep and Sheepdogs.

I carry a 1911 45 acp Combat Commander 4.25" I carry either Federal 230 HST but they were getting hard to come by for Civilians,Speer doesn't seem to be as anal so I now carry 230 Gold Dots or Ranger T series bonded or EFMJ for winter time
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    For the .45 I like the Federal HST 230gr HP. Of course they are not easy to find.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Appears that all of you shoot 230 gr in your .45's. I will try the federal and dots when I shoot through the 185 gr golden sabres I have ordered. Thanks all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links