PMC Starfire Clear Gel test

PMC Starfire Clear Gel Test

This is a discussion on PMC Starfire Clear Gel Test within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well....they can't all be winners. Full Review is Here: Pocket Guns and Gear: PMC Starfire 380 AUTO 95 Grain SFHP Clear Gel Test...

PMC Starfire Clear Gel test

Well....they can't all be winners.

Full Review is Here:
    Pocket Guns and Gear: PMC Starfire 380 AUTO 95 Grain SFHP Clear Gel test

Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Another Great test, I tested same ammo in .45acp and had quite a few fail to expand, only had one expand but not fully like it should have.. I also had issues with the Ranger T's in .380 not expanding, I think it has something to do with my gel blocks though... I have some more ammo to test when the weather gets better, way to snowy and cold here for it now... LOL.. got some .45acp in Critical Duty, and some other brands in 9mm.. as well as .380...

Quote Originally Posted by lyodbraun View Post
    Another Great test, I tested same ammo in .45acp and had quite a few fail to expand, only had one expand but not fully like it should have.. I also had issues with the Ranger T's in .380 not expanding, I think it has something to do with my gel blocks though... I have some more ammo to test when the weather gets better, way to snowy and cold here for it now... LOL.. got some .45acp in Critical Duty, and some other brands in 9mm.. as well as .380...
    What barrel length were you shooting for the 380 Ranger T's? They always tested well for me in SIM-test. Have not dumped one into a clear gel block.

I tested like a banshee up until early December. Recently had a medical procedure that has shut me down and now the weather has turned so I guess I'll be working my back log of gel blocks for the next several weeks/months. At least I'll get everything reprocessed and ready to go in case we get a bluebird day on a weekend.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

the .380's were shot from the wifes LCP.. so very short barrel, I had them expand when using my old Gel that I made from the knox brand gel, the one that performed and expanded each time was the winchester PDX-1's in .380, I still have a block thats only been remelted once that I will use next spring, the others that Ive been having issues with have been melted atleast 5 maybe 8 times... so Im thinking that even though they are calibrating right theres just not enough hydraulic force to open the rounds up, cause Im even having issues with .45's some .40's and a few 9mm's not expanding...

VIP Member
    I bought 2 boxes of this stuff in 30-30 from a gun show 10 yrs or so ago, and you would not believe how it puts deer down.
    It puts a hole in them like crazy.
    A coyote that I shot in 2010 had an exit hole you could put a fist through, shot @ around 30 yds.
    Suprised it did not expand well jere.
    As mentioned, what barrel length was it shot from?
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thanks for the test.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Links