Higher power rounds - .38 special, .41 and .44 mag, etc

This is a discussion on Higher power rounds - .38 special, .41 and .44 mag, etc within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dad and I were out shooting today and I found some of his old .38 special rounds. He had a revolver that used them, gone ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 1 Post By archer51
  • 1 Post By Stevew

Thread: Higher power rounds - .38 special, .41 and .44 mag, etc

Dad and I were out shooting today and I found some of his old .38 special rounds. He had a revolver that used them, gone now. It got me curious about some of the higher power rounds. A little over a month ago I took a CCW class and asked one of my instructors about rounds that would be good for bears. He suggested a .44 magnum.

My question now is regarding different calibers of "higher power" rounds (not the standard .380, 9mm, .40, .45 pistol rounds). What other more powerful rounds are there, and furthermore - are there any semi-auto/striker-fire pistols that shoot them?

Looking around it seems the only guns that shoot the magnum rounds are revolvers.

There are some ungainly pistols out there that have been designed to function with the straight-walled, rimmed, magnum revolver rounds. They're pricey and not easily found.

Take a look at the pistols chambered for the 10mm. This is not an insignificant round with performance not too far behind the .41 Magnum. Several different designs may be had in 10mm.

I personally think the .45 ACP is quite the healthy pistol round with useful performance capabilities.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

gun1, a S&W "N" framed revolver in .357-41-44 magnum will handle almost all outdoor needs, from defense against humans to bears. I would choose the .357 magnum as it is easier on the shooter and is cheaper to practice with, but the 41 or 44 mags are great rounds as well. I also like 6" bbls for outdoor use.

Senior Moderator
    I would'nt use anything less than a .44 on something with claws and teeth that could eat you.

Sure, the .357 will kill a bear,but if I am shooting one with a pistol, I want it dead right then.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I would'nt use anything less than a .44 on something with claws and teeth that could eat you.

Sure, the .357 will kill a bear,but if I am shooting one with a pistol, I want it dead right then.
    What....you don't want to be a chew bone for Yogi and BooBoo?
    TVille likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The reason you wont find many semi auto rounds out there is this, Semi auto pistols are timed to use standard ammo. their slide weight, spring rate, and delay of opening are timed so that the fired bullet has exited the barrel and the chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level before the breach opens. If the breach opened early the weak brass case would rupture and spray hot brass shards out the ejection port and down into the full magazine! With a strong revolver the cylinder would have to give way to have that kind of case rupture. DR

10MM can be a powerful load and Glock make guns chamber for 10MM.
    sioux565 likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The reason you wont find many semi auto rounds out there is this, Semi auto pistols are timed to use standard ammo. their slide weight, spring rate, and delay of opening are timed so that the fired bullet has exited the barrel and the chamber pressure has dropped to a safe level before the breach opens. If the breach opened early the weak brass case would rupture and spray hot brass shards out the ejection port and down into the full magazine! With a strong revolver the cylinder would have to give way to have that kind of case rupture. DR
    That is a good point. I have been doing some research and found a case, actually a few, of people blowing off their thumbs from the high pressure release out of the cylinder on a .460 S&W. Here is one such case (Note has pictures, beware). That puts a different perspective on the mechanics and dealing with forces in gun designs. I can see where the solid wheel on a revolver would be a better design rather than a spring loaded/timed chamber.

It's a hassle to get pistols in Canada, but I think I'd really like a 10mm. They're just an interesting mix of the whole 'balance' of what each caliber brings. Lots of power for those used to shooting 9mm, and so I think I'd enjoy the feeling.

The .44 magnum is just too much gun for me. I mean, I feel amazing when I'm holding one, but each time I fire one I feel like I'm out of my league. They're just a bit too spicy for me.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

10mm is high power for sure. I have a Glock 20 (10mm), but there are different barrels for them to make them 9x25 Dillon, and for the Glock 21s they have 460 Rowland conversions, among other things.

My carry loads in .45 ACP are 230 +P and make about 490 ft lbs of energy.
    My carry loads in 10mm are 165 grain and make 750 ft lbs of energy.

It's no .41 or .44 Magnum, or +P .45 Colt (my favorite), but it's nice to have a 20 round reload and 15+1 in the gun.

I use the ft lbs for reference only - I'm not an energy guy. But the 10mm is no joke with full power ammo.

Austin

A few years back, Glock Magazine ran an article about Denmark's Sirius Teams that patrol Greenland by dogsled to assert Denmark's claim to Sovereignty over said Island. They
    carry Glock 20's as a sidearm as a last ditch form of protection against the native forms of wildlife;(e.g. Polar Bears.) Below is a link to a Wikipedia Article about them.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Sl%C3%A6depatruljen_Sirius

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "...as protection against the native forms of wildlife."

The article in reference was against polar bears, although even a 10mm would not be my first choice against them.

I think revolvers handle higher pressures better than semis, thus the greater availability of high powered revolvers. I can't imagine a semi designed to handle the S&W 500!

Black bears aren't particularly tough (seen them dropped with a single .22 Mag shot), but any bear can be extremely dangerous under the right circumstances. I prefered my .41 Blackhawk over the .44 Super BH as the increase in power did not outweigh the benefit of the .41s controlability.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

High powered is a relative term. One thing that I have learned over my shooting and hunting time, is that the blast and recoil of most magnums can be forgone, and the same results can be achieved by going heavy on the bullet, and slower on the velocity.

Makes the recoil impulse much more pleasant, easier to shoot, and easier on the gun. Lead bullets get a free increase in velocity than jacketed bullets, all things being equal.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    "...as protection against the native forms of wildlife."

The article in reference was against polar bears, although even a 10mm would not be my first choice against them.

I think revolvers handle higher pressures better than semis, thus the greater availability of high powered revolvers. I can't imagine a semi designed to handle the S&W 500!

Black bears aren't particularly tough (seen them dropped with a single .22 Mag shot), but any bear can be extremely dangerous under the right circumstances. I prefered my .41 Blackhawk over the .44 Super BH as the increase in power did not outweigh the benefit of the .41s controlability.

Why dont you just go get yourself another 41mag Blackhawk with the new grip frame? You have been lamenting the sale of that for as long as I have been here with ya on this forum.
    Keep it up, and you are gonna force me to send you mine!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I don't know if I'd want one of these but I sure as heck would LOVE to at least shoot one some time.

Coonan - Pistols.

Links