I know nothing of 357Mag ammo, a little help please?

This is a discussion on I know nothing of 357Mag ammo, a little help please? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have gotten over the "flinch" I used to have when I first started shooting. Though, most of my flinch was from others around me ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I know nothing of 357Mag ammo, a little help please?

I have gotten over the "flinch" I used to have when I first started shooting. Though, most of my flinch was from others around me shooting, not my own gun. I also know that when I have to use my gun for real, I will not have ear protection. I am also very aware of the few times I have removed my ear protection at the range and forgot to put it back in. I can handle that because I know I have to.

With that said, I was planning to have my wife put in ear plugs as well as earmuffs. I wonder if she practices like this, and if she ever had to use it for real, if she would be able to make a second shot. She is not a gun person, nor will she probably ever be. I probably won't be able to get her to carry on her own, but I want her to at least be able to defend the house in my absence as well as back me up if need be when things go bump in the night.

I guess after she gets used to the double protection I should have her remove one and get used to that.

2. Remove Ads

I have gotten over the "flinch" I used to have when I first started shooting. Though, most of my flinch was from others around me shooting, not my own gun. I also know that when I have to use my gun for real, I will not have ear protection. I am also very aware of the few times I have removed my ear protection at the range and forgot to put it back in. I can handle that because I know I have to.

With that said, I was planning to have my wife put in ear plugs as well as earmuffs. I wonder if she practices like this, and if she ever had to use it for real, if she would be able to make a second shot. She is not a gun person, nor will she probably ever be. I probably won't be able to get her to carry on her own, but I want her to at least be able to defend the house in my absence as well as back me up if need be when things go bump in the night.

I guess after she gets used to the double protection I should have her remove one and get used to that.

For the .357, I will only load with a 158gr bullet. I just simply prefer that size lead from my experiences. It works well in either my Ruger GP100, or SW 686 or Rossi that friends have and I load for. The 158gr seem to give a consistant pattern and flight pattern out to the distances we use them at.

If I am loading for hunting they get a 158 gr semi jacketed round nose and a dose of powder that pushes them at a bit over 1400pfs, right at 700ftlbs of energy, good for any game in this part of texas.

If I am loading for practice they get a 158gr Oregon Trail hard cast lead bullet and move about 1100 pfs, these are just plain fun to shoot, and are only 25 bucks for 500.

I do not load for self defense as it is not the carry gun or not kept for that purpose, but if I was going to load for that it would be a Hornady or Speer, (or some other) jacketed hollow point know for good quick expansion moving about 1250 to 1300 fps.

One thing you will not regret about the .357, is that there are enough ammo and loads that anyone can shoot out of it and have fun without either beating themselves up or getting too overwhelmed by the power. Just work your way up from the bottom loads till you feel comfortable with the gun and find a load you like.

As for you wife and hearing protection. Go to midwayusa.com, or some other shooting supply website and look at electronic ear muffs. Caldwell makes a good inexpensive pair, that will allow you to talk to her while at the range without having to shout and still give her good relief when the shot takes place.
    Last edited by farronwolf; October 17th, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by djturnz View Post
    Some others might want to chime in here, removing one is fine, but don't remove all ear protection, use at least one while training. It will be too loud and could tend to create or ingrain some un-needed fear or discomfort.

IMO: If she has to shoot in self-defense, she'll likely not notice the noise, there are physiological reasons for this that other members can address with more acuracy than I, but the feel of recoil moving the gun off line is a factor that she has to get used to dealing with moreso than the sound.
    Last edited by sgtD; October 17th, 2006 at 12:33 PM. Reason: clarify
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    she'll likely not notice the noise,
    Totaliy agree SgtD, When I am deer hunting I never notice the bang when I shoot (at) a deer but wonder why my ears are ringing when I climb down from the stand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links