what ammo would everyone recomend for glock .40? or any .40 s.d and range ammo?

This is a discussion on what ammo would everyone recomend for glock .40? or any .40 s.d and range ammo? within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i recently bought a new glock 23 gen 3. i have shot about 200 rounds of mostly remington umc 180gr. a box of 50 blazer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: what ammo would everyone recomend for glock .40? or any .40 s.d and range ammo?

what ammo would everyone recomend for glock .40? or any .40 s.d and range ammo?

i recently bought a new glock 23 gen 3. i have shot about 200 rounds of mostly remington umc 180gr. a box of 50 blazer 165gr i think they were. but i heard remington umc were not that good? i haven't had any problems with them and they seem to be reliable and cheap, i use rem umc jhps for self defense and regular full metal jackets for shooting. any input will help me out thanks

2. Remove Ads

yeah just for plinking and range use the UMC is ok, although I wont use it LOL found one with a primer in backwards.as for the remington JHP there not the greatest..Id recommed either Federal HST's or Winchester Ranger T's or PDX-1's or the Speer Gold Dots... congrats on your new Glock..
    scgunlover1 likes this.

I like the Winchester white box for range shooting. For defensive ammo, there are a lot of choices. Shoot many then choose the one that works for you. I use critical duty and federal HST.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

thanks. ya i've heard a few people say they have gotten umcs with messed up bullets i have over 250 of umcs stocked up and checked them all today and no defaults thank god i would have been mad for buying all those. but i'm goin to start using federals and winchester's see how they are. have good new years everyone goin to go shooting tomarrow to start the new year off

Any modern HP should be fine for self defense - I usually try to get something that is Law Enforcement ammo for handguns.

Austin

Actually, the UMC 180 did really well for a budget defense load.

Pocket Guns and Gear: Terminal Ballistics testing Remington UMC 40 S&W 180 Grain JHP

I'm a fan of HST for pistols that will feed that huge hollow point or Hornady Critical Duty for those that don't. I did pick up a few extra boxes of the UMC 180 in the Fall just to have in case.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Here's the thing, on self defense ammo don't skimp, if you have to save to get 3 or 4 boxes of different weights and from brands like Federal HST Ranger T's and golden sabers. This is a device that may save your life we aren't talking about engine Oil or brand of breakfast cereal. Take your self defense seriously, your life or a loved ones may depend on it. Shoot the loads to see how your gun does with accuracy pay attention to increased muzzle flash that should be a turn off. Check out tnoutdoors9 channel on YouTube, I watch is stuff all the time the guy has don3 a lot of the work for you he tests 40 ammo with a Glock 23. As far as range ammo shoot what you can get your hands on. That being said in my XD 40 subcompact I pack Speer Gold Dot 165gr. But I shot through six loads to find the one that I was confident with.

Remington UMC 180gr works and feeds well, I havent had any problems with the ammunition. PPU (Prvi Partizan) .40 in all grains works well and hasn't given me one problem at all.

When it comes to SD ammo you can look at all the major brands such as Federal, Remington, Speer, Winchester, are top of the line. You can also look at Underwood ammo and their offerings of "+p" .40 loads and they use Gold dots.

Take a look at this list
    Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

Along with Tnoutdoors9 videos on YouTube and decide from there.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Congrats on the new addition. I also have a Glock gen3 G23 and it is my primary. I've been carrying it ever since I received my CCDW. I think you'll find that your Glock is going to eat just about anything you throw at it. Mine runs no matter what I put in it. For practice, buy whatever is the cheapest thing you can get your hands on. If for whatever reason, you find your gun won't run on what you're feeding it then switch over to something that will work. I don't think that will happen but in the unlikely event it does, you'll have it covered.

I would try to practice with a weight similar to what you plan on carrying. I'm told it won't make much difference but I like to stay the same if I can, etc.

Do some research on SD ammo and make your decision accordingly. Find out what works on the streets, read reports made from LEO experiences, etc. Ask around (like you have done here).

I think you'll find that there's a lot of good ammo out and you'll do well by using something like Ranger Ts, Federal HST, Remington Gold Sabre and Speer Gold Dots. Personally, I carry Gold Dots in 180gr. but 165 gr. is also a good choice.

I hope this helps and the best of hope goes out to you!
    DCG

Any brand name 165 gr. FMJ (Win, Fed, PMC, Blazer Brass) for practice. My favorite Carry load was Win 155 gr. Silvertips but too hard to find and at 40.00+/box I have convinced myself I am just as secure with 165 gr. Gold Dots which are also a little more accurate in both my G27 and G23 than the Silvertips. IIRC the crono on my G27 with the Silvertips was close to 1,100 FPS and well over 1,200 on the G23. I have never had the chance to run the Gold Dots for speed.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Federal HST is about the best currently. It is hard to find a bad hollow point in 40. The lighter faster 135's and 155's tend to have energy figures and performance similar to the 357 magnum and the heavier slower 180's tend to act like 185's in a 45. For range ammo, I would buy the cheapest that hit to POA. I was lucky for a while as I was issued practice ammo, so it was the same as my duty load. You might check out Underwood ammo, they make high quality affordable ammo.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Cool

Lots of choices for range and defense ammo.

I like the 165 grain .40S&W in my Glock 23.

For range ammo I shoot whatever 165 gr. FMJ is at a good price on Ammo To Go on the day I order. If I have my choice and the price is close I like Speer Lawman.

For SD I use either Speer Gold Dot or Remington Golden Saber in 165 gr. but there are many quality SD brands on the market.

Try several and see what you like. My G-23 eats any and eveything.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

Regards,

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

I use federal hst and Winchester ranger t 180gr in my .40 for SD ammo. Range, I use winchester web or federal fmj.
    Always Carry, Never Tell. Stay Safe. EDC .40 S&W, BUG .380 ACP, HD .40 S&W , 5.56 and 12GA, Range Toys .357Mag , .22LR

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jem102 View Post
    Any brand name 165 gr. FMJ (Win, Fed, PMC, Blazer Brass) for practice. My favorite Carry load was Win 155 gr. Silvertips but too hard to find and at 40.00+/box I have convinced myself I am just as secure with 165 gr. Gold Dots which are also a little more accurate in both my G27 and G23 than the Silvertips. IIRC the crono on my G27 with the Silvertips was close to 1,100 FPS and well over 1,200 on the G23. I have never had the chance to run the Gold Dots for speed.
    This is what I should have said. I said buy the cheapest and I still think you can do this so long as you do it with a caveat. I'm leary of steel cased ammo like "Wolf", for example. I have been told that the steel case stuff is hard on your gun and can cause it to wear. I avoid it because I don't think the few dollars you save here and there is worth the extra-wear on my gun.

I use Independence 180g for Range, or Freedommunitions 180g FMJ when available

I use Hornady Critical Defense JHP for SD Carry Rounds
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Handgun :: Choose by Caliber :: 40 S&W :: 40 S&W 165 gr FTX® Critical Defense®

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links