Best feeding .380 ACP HPs

This is a discussion on Best feeding .380 ACP HPs within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, folks. I am on a search for a decent performing hollow point round that will also feed in my Diamondback DB380. There are a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ok, folks. I am on a search for a decent performing hollow point round that will also feed in my Diamondback DB380. There are a few rounds that do not want to feed in these tiny little pocket pistols so I thought I would do a little collecting of information. I bought a box of Winchester PDX1, but the DB will not ever chamber a round. The large hollow point cavity always gets hung up at the base of the feed ramp. Oddly enough, this was a problem with early models of the Kel-Tec PF-9. They resolved this by changing the feed ramp design. I sure wish Diamondback would do this...hint hint, wink wink. But until they do or I get the .32 NAA conversion barrel, I am doing a search for the best feeding hollow point ammunition in the Diamondback DB380. Here are the results thus far.

Winchester PDX1 Bonded 95gr - Negative! I have not had even one round to chamber.Hollow point cavity too large and gets caught on the base of the feed ramp.

Hornady Critical Defense 90gr - I know this is not a hollow point round, but it does expand so I am including it. This is what I am currently carrying in my DB380. It feeds well every time I pull the slide to the rear and release. It is a decent performer with an average of 9-10 inches of penetration.

I am not here to get of topic with "10 inches of penetration is not enough". I understand the FBI protocol minimums, but I am not a police officer and I am not carrying a full sized weapon that has a higher chance of being in a gunfight. The pocket sized .380s are point blank belly guns. I feel that if I stick my gun in the bad guys gut or aim straight at his chest or head, 10 inches will be enough to end the fight. I do not want to be the guy who fires at such close range, over-penetrates and shoots a little old lady by accident.

So, that said, let the list begin. And I will finish by saying I would like to try the classic Federal Hydra-Shock 90gr, Speer Gold Dot 90gr, and Remington Golden Saber 102gr. If anyone else uses these, how well do they feed in the DB380? I know I am going to get a lot of feedback on other .380s, but I am really trying to find some feedback on the Diamondback.

The feeding of ammo is obviously a gun-specific question, as you have pointed out. I don't have experience with the DB, but I have used The Winchester Ranger T Series 95 grain round in a S&W Bodyguard and it feeds/fires flawlessly. These can be tricky to find, but worth it if you do. Good luck.
    "Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6"

Flight Surgeon, USAF
    Law Enforcement Tactical Surgeon

NRA Patron Member

Sometimes changing mags can help with feeding issues in semi-autos. Don't have any any experience with DB, but I have some older 380 hollow points that are are too long to fit into the mags of my 380s. Check the COAL of the rounds that feed well compared to rounds that don't.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

While working on various blog projects, I have extensively tested Speer Gold Dot, Federal Hydra-Shok, and Hornady Critical Defense through my DB380 with no issues at all. Not sure if they are the best feeding HPs, but they have worked well for me. .32NAA conversion barrel does ok with Corbon JHP, but has issues feeding the Corbon FMJ which I find to be crazy and totally contrary to conventional wisdom.

Feel free to poke around the blog for terminal performance info. Here's a test to look at that will get you started. Pocket Guns and Gear: Another Realistic 380 ACP vs. 9mm test with Federal Hydra-Shok
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

Make sure on those little 380's you rack the first round as hard as you can. Don't help the slide down. I use hornady critical defense in my tcp 380 with no problems.

That is gun specific, I don't have a problem with feeding in my Bersa Thunder or my Taurus 738. I shoot Ranger Ts out of the Bersa and Gold Dots out of my Taurus. The Golden Sabers always seems feed real well also

As others have said, it is going to be "gun specific."

I have a Ruger LCP and I have had 100% with Hornady Critical Defense, Speer Gold Dots and Double Tap ammo loaded with the Speer Gold Dot bullets.

So far my LCP has been 100% with every round I've shot including various target loads (FMJ's) like Winchester white box, Fiocchi and a smattering of others.

I have yet to try Federal HST's which is what I use in my 9mm's. Not sure if Federal makes HST's in .380.

I have well over 1,000 flawless rounds through my LCP of various loads. So far, for defense I carry the three I mentioned first.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    I have yet to try Federal HST's which is what I use in my 9mm's. Not sure if Federal makes HST's in .380.
    They don't, and I think it's because the Hydra-Shok performs so well in 380. Not sure a larger expanding bullet like the HST would make sufficient penetration depth. I'd test it if they made it.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

I have found speer gold dots feed reliably in my .380 bodyguard
    One more step and it's on!

Some of our Customers who own the DB380 say that Speer God Dots, and Rem Golden Sabers work well in their guns. Hydra Shoks were fair to good. Critical Defense worked the best though.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Am I the only one that initially read it as "Breast Feeding .380 ACP HPs"? Freudian, I'm sure, but I was willing to keep an open mind.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Nope. I did, too. I chalk it up to my medical experience and training. Yeah, that's it.

Distinguished Member
    Me too. Must just be the male mindset. I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I have a Sig232 and I guess Im lucky because it eats what everthing you feed it and has not failed me once in four years

Quote Originally Posted by dripster View Post
    I have found speer gold dots feed reliably in my .380 bodyguard

^^^ +1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links