Federal 9mm classic 115 gr hi-shock

This is a discussion on Federal 9mm classic 115 gr hi-shock within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anybody use this round. And what do you think of it. With ammo prices on the rise and harder to find 9mm I found ...

Does anybody use this round. And what do you think of it. With ammo prices on the rise and harder to find 9mm I found these at my local wally world for 15.97 a box of fifty. My son and I bought what we could scrounge enough money to buy what we could. Couldnt pass these up for that price I think. Stay safe everyone.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While I would have prefered a heavier bullet (124 gr or more), if you put them in the right place they'll work fine.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    While I would have prefered a heavier bullet (124 gr or more), if you put them in the right place they'll work fine.
    OldVet I prefer 124 gr also. But at these prices I just thought they were to good to pass up. And shot placement is king. Stay safe.

yup for the price ya cant go wrong... nice find... I would have also bought a bunch of it LOL.. my local walmarts have not had any ammo for weeks now... sucks.. but oh well guess I will be ordering a case online next week, of .45 and 9mm..

Kind of an "old" design, but lethal. Beat ball ammo.

Looks like you got a good deal on what you found. Congrats.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I like using it in my Kahr K9 sometimes my Hi-Power. That load has always gotten good reveiws.

I buy 'em at Walmart. Inexpensive dosen't always mean ineffective.

i used them many mango season ago. they were issued to us as duty ammo for the glock 17. they did the job. and will still do the job.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

My first pistols were P85 and Mark II Rugers. UMC hardball 9mm was $7.99 a box and Federal 9BP was $9.99 a box at Walmart. I got pretty enamored with the Federal 115 Grain 9BP and picked up a box or two on every trip to Walmart. I was working at the Walmart Home Office at the time in their IT Division developing systems for Warehouse Inventory Management and Automated Store Replenishment. The item number I used to test that the systems were working was the Federal 9BP. More than 20 years later, I still remember the item number. 00931170

I stopped buying and shooting 9BP at about the same time I switched over to 40 S&W. I did buy a boxes of 9BP and 9BPLE recently to use for terminal testing. I'm curious to see if it works as well as the Remington 115 grain bulk pack JHP in short barrel 9mm pistols.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

9BP is a good load, I have a few hundred rounds of it stashed away, only put 50 through my gun but it was clean and accurate, not much more recoil than ball. Actually gets better penetration than the 9BPLE +P+ version, but not as good expansion. There are better loads out there to carry, but it's good for your stash at home.

Like most have said, it's an old bullet design and doesn't perform as well as some of the newer designs, but it's better than FMJ and will certainly do the trick if placed well.

If you Google the part number you will see a lot of write-ups about it.

I use it in my 9mm and 45 boxes ive got last week was running 22.00 for a box of 20 9mm great buy love it im looking for some double tap right now online they are sold out on .45 acp. how ever I use hornady in my 38 spl and shotgun. ill always will use federal and hornady ill mix match them but as of now that's my set up I have two mags of federal and 1 mag of hornady for my .45

Here is the problem with the ammo, it does not expand, even though it is hollowpoint.
    Heres the proof below. But man does this stuff penetrate.

9mm Federal HI-SHOK 115 gr JHP AMMO test - YouTube

Unfortunately, it did fail that test. 9BP does not pass FBI tests, and the 4 ply denim clogs the hollowpoint. Fortunately, that doesn't seem to matter much as it has a great record in OIS and was used by many agencies for years and years. It's a good load.

VIP Member
    Should be plenty of those ultra deadly armor piercing bullets around in stores, or at least that's I heard...
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

My experience has been that if a pistol feeds ball it will feed 9bp. This and the fact the price allows me to practice and rotate out my carry ammo is big plus for me.

Links