Storage

This is a discussion on Storage within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok heres a question for the pros. I have learned the hard way in last month or so . I have posted it on other ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet

Thread: Storage

Storage

Ok heres a question for the pros.

I have learned the hard way in last month or so .

I have posted it on other post her .

Its now is clear that it has to be my doing that caused my light weak fires and no fires on my EDC.

I was keeping hollow points in all my edc .32,.380, .38 .9mm. some of those where a year or older .

I have had a problem with all them with weak loads.

It has to be my use or lets say over use of petro sprays.

I did drowned them in it . No more will that happen.

But I now have a new question , should I be removeing the mag and striping the ammo in mag while arm is in safe?

Same with wheel guns should I remove rounds.

Will that help keep rounds in better shape?

2. Remove Ads

I keep all my firearms loaded all the time never had a problem with weak loads. I also have ammo that is over 5 years old that never fails. What to you mean by weak loads do they not fire or do you get squibs?

Different climates and conditions call for different lubes. Like most when I first got my guns I over oiled them. I too noticed the mag and carry rounds would get oil soaked. Its my understanding that over long periods of time this can cause problems with FTF.

What I did to eliminate the problem was: (1) shoot my carry ammo every 3 to 4 months. (2) use grease instead of oil. It says put and lasts longer where it needs to be.

I'm pretty new to all this so my opinion my not be worth much. Take it for what you will.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The problem is the excess use of oil; not the ammo, not the manner of storage. You can apply the oil by dropping your gun in a 55-gal drum of oil and as long as you remove all the excess oil you'll be fine. If your gun is "wet" after cleaning/lubing, you've got too much. And "penetrating" oils will do just that, right into the ammo as you've found out.

Ammo doesn't really get "old," but if you wish to shoot up your expensive SD ammo every few months, go right ahead. Personally, I'd think twice before doing so right now as replacement ammo may be difficult to find and much more expensive if found.

Stripping the rounds from mags in storage--that's an age old argument. As for protecting the integrity of the ammo it should make no difference for pistols or revolvers if they're not running in oil. Mags don't need oiling--it only collects dirt and ruins the ammo--they need to be clean. If you really need to lube one, I'd suggest a dry lube and a very light application of it.
    bombthrower77 and aus71383 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    I'm by no means a pro, but I am anal-retentive about maintenance. I'm guessing that your light strikes were due to the firing pin channel getting gummed up.

I see no advantage to stripping the rounds out of your magazine, nor problems with leaving them in your revolver chamber. For semi-autos, I leave my carry rounds in there, and mark each chambered round with a sharpie when it gets ejected, and it goes into the "range ammo" jar. Usually the chambered round will stay in there for a week or two. Age should make no difference, although soaking your ammo in oil could certainly render it useless.

Other than a slightly heavier oil on the 1911 rails (either Hoppes or engine oil), I oil very lightly and use Gunzilla. It's an extremely light oil/all-purpose cleaner that leaves the surface slick and resistant to carbon build-up. Then about twice a year, I'll detail strip with careful attention to leave the firing pin channel immaculate and oil-free.

Point well taken about blowing through your SD ammo. Maybee I will just shoot it on a yearly basis. I'm in the communist state of CA so due to hi cap mag bans my combined EDC mags only hold 40 rounds. Before the "panic" I picked up three 1000 round cases of Federal HST 40 cal 180 grain at $380 a case. It's nearly going for double that now and could go higher in the future. Unless civil war breaks out if I manage that ammo right I should be able to pass it down to my now 4 y/o son to protect his family in the future. Hopefully that will still be a constitutional right for him.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    IN CA? Surely you jest!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links