Limited choice of JHP ammo

This is a discussion on Limited choice of JHP ammo within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks, I've been reading posts on this forum for almost a year but this is my first post. I live in a country where ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BBoomstick

Thread: Limited choice of JHP ammo

Hi folks,

I've been reading posts on this forum for almost a year but this is my first post.

I live in a country where ownership of firearms are strictly controlled and as such we are a little "behind the curve". Right now my only two choices available for 9mm personal defense ammo are 115gr Winchester Silvertips JHP and Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok JHP.

I've read many articles and post comparing Silvertips with more modern ammo or 147gr HS with HST but never between these specific two.

Given my limited options, which would be the better load for personal defense, 115gr STJHP or 147gr HS? Light and fast or big and slow?

Appreciate any advice. Thanks

Both would be good for defensive rounds, see which works better in your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yoda, I am, yes.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Both would be good for defensive rounds, see which works better in your gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^this^^^

Since you only have two choices, I'd see which one runs better and go with it. If they both work well without any malfunctions, then go with the round that you shoot better with.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    ^^^this^^^

Since you only have two choices, I'd see which one runs better and go with it. If they both work well without any malfunctions, then go with the round that you shoot better with.
    ^^^this^^^

-BTO-
    -BTO-

First off, welcome to the forum! We have a few members from outside the US, but very few from outside our hemisphere!

Light and fast or big and slow?
    You're asking an age-old question, which is at the heart of the .45 vs 9mm argument. The good news is that defensive ammo has come so far in the past 20 years that just about any expanding bullet launched from a decent caliber will serve your defensive needs well.

Part of the answer to your question lies in what your gun is. Some ammo is sensitive to barrel length and velocity may drop off sharply in a short-barreled gun; but all handgun ammo will be slower coming out of a shorter barrel than a long one. My personal preference is to use lighter/faster rounds in compact guns, and heavier bullets in full-sized guns. In my Kahr CW9 with its 3" barrel, I typically carry Silvertips or Federal Classic 115 gr JHPs. If I carried a full-sized 9mm, I'd load that with the heavier bullets. However, I confess to those choices being less than scientific, and are biased somewhat by availability and by what I know functions well in my gun.

If you can do so without breaking the bank, why not try a box of each through your gun and see both how it functions as well as how it feels - that may weigh more heavily in your decision than anything else.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    All things considered equal, I'd go with the 147 gr. Federals.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    All things considered equal, I'd go with the 147 gr. Federals.
    I'd do the same.

It was my employer's (large midwestern PD) issued ammo for more than a decade and we never had a failure in over 200 OISs.
    My favorite "gun" book-

QUANTITATIVE AMMUNITION SELECTION

Administrator
    Given those two choices I would opt for the Federal 147gr Hydra-Shok JHP

and....Welcome to the forum.

By a box of both go to the range and do some grouping with the two loads. Which one shoots the best would be my choice, if you get a chance do some low light firing as well muzzle flash is important. If both shoot roughly the same I would take the Hydra Shot I like heavier bullets, but that is just a very humble man's opinion.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Papau New Guinea?

Assuming either functions well, I'd opt for the 147 grain Feds.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

yep, 147 over 115. But it has to work and shoot well too of course.

Austin

Thank you everyone. I've run about 50 rounds of the Silvertips through my HK P2000 with no issues and will do likewise with the HS soon. Ammo here is pricey so can't go overboard.

I'm from Malaysia and like I said earlier, we are behind the curve. Beggars can't really be too choosy. Most folks here including local LE carry FMJ. I do too, in my EDC spare magazine.

By the way, I love this forum and have gotten great tips and insight. Thank you all for that.
    oneshot likes this.

Sponsored Links