Ammo MIA... - Page 2

Ammo MIA...

This is a discussion on Ammo MIA... within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went out yesterday looking for some cheap 9mm to blow through at the range. I checked out the local Walmart... absolutely no 9mm in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ammo MIA...

I went out yesterday looking for some cheap 9mm to blow through at the range. I checked out the local Walmart... absolutely no 9mm in stock and barely anything else aside from shotgun ammo. Then went over and checked out Cabela's... plenty of everything but absolutely nothing on sale. The cheapest crap rounds they had in stock were Herter's "Select-Grade TNJ" for $12.99 a box of 50. I'm still hesitant about running a nylon jacketed round through my gun.

FWIW, Cabela's is listing many of their ammunition products on their website as "Backorderable." I can assure you that they have many of these products in stock at their store locations as well as their warehouses. I guess they want to take care of their walk-in customers (prospective gun buyers) before those ordering online.

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    No 9mm at my WW either , but there is a lot of .40 cal, .45 acp, and a bunch of 38 spcl go figure. Even .22lr is next to nill I hope things come around soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioCatter View Post
    No 9mm at my WW either , but there is a lot of .40 cal, .45 acp, and a bunch of 38 spcl go figure. Even .22lr is next to nill I hope things come around soon.
    It's funny how many choose a particular caliber based on availability and price. But when the crap hits the fan, plenty of other caliber on the shelf.

Re: Ammo MIA...

The Sportsman's Warehouse closest to me had people camped out at 3 am, waiting for doors to open at 9.

The locals all know that their shipments arrive Thursday night, so they were waiting Friday morning.

Anything 223/5.56 related was gone within an hour of opening.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Went to the local fleet farm yesterday.. They're handling a lot of steel case ammo now that they never used to have in the past. Unfortunately its still more expensive than the old WWB it is replacing.. They did have a good supply of 9mm, .40, and .45 at least.

They even had a couple new boxes of 5.56 on the shelf. $14.99/box of 20.

Spent an over an hour last night trying to find .38 SPL for range use with my SP 101...FINALLY found some wadcutter at Dan's Sporting Goods (Dan's Ammo) online. .357 Mag is tough to find also, finally found some Winchester PDX 1 Defender 125g HP (my third choice) for carry. All of it is rediculously expensive!

Quite a few sites (most of) on the web are showing back order in the calibers I shoot; 9mm, .45, 357Sig, .40S&W, all are scarce as hen's teeth.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Senior Moderator
    Only thing that is short here is 5.56mm but there is pleny of .38spl/.357 magnum
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

The nice thing for me is that I converted from 45 and 9mm to .40cal not long ago. While all the local stores are out of EVERYTHING, they still have .40 S&W, albeit at the price of .45acp.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    The nice thing for me is that I converted from 45 and 9mm to .40cal not long ago. While all the local stores are out of EVERYTHING, they still have .40 S&W, albeit at the price of .45acp.
    Thats got me thinking of going to a forty. I was looking for 9mm and cant find it but fortys are still to be had. My brother in law and I went shopping for his new gun which we only found two in our area a s&w m&p9c. But the shops had plenty of 40 caliber pistols in stock. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Honk View Post
    BTW If any one is in that area of Knoxville, one lady told me they are waiting on 2 loads of ammo where the trucks were delayed by weather. Said it should arrive Thursday (13th?) but it will fly as soon as they put it out.

Anybody been to a recent Gun Show since Christmas? How are they looking? I know Georgia Arms backed out of the Chantilly show in VA due to shortages.
    Tried to go to one in Birmingham this weekend. The line, an hour after opening, was a couple of hundred yards long. Two hours after opening, we drove back by, and it was down to around 100 yards long. We didn't go in.

My local Membership Gun range had (yesterday 1-6-2013) 4 cases of 380 reloaded ammo, 4 cases of 9MM ammo and a few of everything else. They also had lots of stuff for shooting on the range. I just hope they don't run out cause most folks do not have a good supply of target or "Social Ammo". This is why I have allocated $$$ on an every payday basis for the last 10+ years to buy Social Ammo and components to make ammo. I have seen this before and this is the second time around. I also have lots of stuff to reload. This is where I do get a return on my investments from the 1990's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Shot an IDPA match at Sharpshooters in Roswell GA last night. They had several cases of 9mm but I can't remember the brand name. Not AE or Americor, but America something. They wouldn't sell bulk but had it at $15.99 for a box of 50. They had a good selection of calibers in this stuff.
    "Safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands. " Col. Jeff Cooper

Proud member NRA, VCDL, USPSA, IDPA & DADD ( if you have daughters, you understand )

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    I found some 9mm PPU ammo at our Wal-Mart yesterday.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Gen 3 Glock 19, 9mm.
    Bersa Thunder 9 UC Pro, 9mm. Gave To Daughter To Carry.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

I'm a merchandiser for a dairy company so i get to drive a three county area daily. This allows me to visit all the wallys in my area every other day and they are all cleaned out. All calibers. Visited 7 different wallys on Monday and managed to pick up. 2 boxes of wwb in 9 mm. Local academy's are the same soon as they put it on the shelf its gone.

I got a buddy wants 500 rounds of 9mm so I gotta fire up the reloader he gets them for $15 100,I reloaded 300 rounds of 223 a couple days ago,with my swaged bullets it cost me about .10 a round so 300 rounds for $30.
    I gotta reload some 45acp for Spade115 to shoot in his new 1911 this weekend.
    As long as I got lead to make boolits from I will never run out of ammo
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links