Ammo Prices: Yikes!

This is a discussion on Ammo Prices: Yikes! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I got myself prepared a long time ago. Still wish I had more though. Saw this coming from miles away....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ammo Prices: Yikes!

I got myself prepared a long time ago. Still wish I had more though.

Saw this coming from miles away.
    Rothbardian likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
    The OP is mistaken, That price is not for 50 rounds, its for the 100 round value pack from Federal.Here is what it looks like. I'm sure the shelves are empty and the OP did not see the 100 rounders on the shelves

I hope you are right...I'll check again.
    Something sure seemed off kilter. Thanks.
    Last edited by OD*; January 8th, 2013 at 11:17 PM.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    With these prices, you can bet I will be picking up my range brass next trip.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Retired...fixed income...ammo prices "could" become problematic if keep rising....have stopped wasting money plunking at the range...only buying self defense rounds and don't intend to waste them on paper.
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    With these prices, you can bet I will be picking up my range brass next trip.
    any brass from me is scrap. ( worn out ) don't reload it any more. I will try and police it up so nobody has a problelm with it in the future.

What's bad is the price of components has risen astronomically also. A friend of mine did his usual due diligence to figure out the cheapest ammo for his Garands and 1903s. By his calculations, with "store bought brass", the cost per round of reloading a 150gn .30 bullet over roughly 47grains of IMR turns out to be 1.25 per round!!! Reloading his own brass is .78 per round.

ODCMP Greek ammo, shipped runs him .55 per round
    ODCMP Hornady, shipped runs him .88 per round

Not a good sign for things to come, I'm afraid.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

Didnt this happen four years ago. Panic stricken folks buying up everything gun related. you couldnt find hardly anything. And it settled down in the spring of the next year. But with the current events of what is happening its just more furious than before. I buy when I can and I also reload most of my ammo. I just found 50 round boxes of federal hi-shok for $14.95 a box at my local wally mart. Btw they also had a few boxes of remington fmj that was priced at $35 a box. Now that was ridiculous the clerk said that was the price of it. Soooo I think remington is doin a little price gouging. Thoughts anyone.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Retired...fixed income...ammo prices "could" become problematic if keep rising....have stopped wasting money plunking at the range...only buying self defense rounds and don't intend to waste them on paper.
    Somewhat the same situation here. The natural result should be to bring the prices down as demand falls.

10 years ago I would go to the range once a week. Now, well the money stays in my pocket. When the sport gets
    too expensive, they'll be fewer players. Either the price will drop, the supply will increase, or it will become like Polo,
    a sport that only the very well off can play at.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    Got to agree with hotguns here. For months I have been working all the OT I can and putting all the funds toward ammo. The easiest way to institute gun controll is through ammo. Good for those that bought 6 AR-15 with 100 pmags. Unless they have 30,000 rounds to back it up I say that was money foolishly spent. I'd rather have a baseball bat than an AR-15 without ammo. How many bats can you buy for $1500?

People assume we can put the government in check with the second amendment. Sure there are over 300,000,000 gun owners in the states but as we see the majority are dependent upon the supply chain. If the government wants to shut that down they can. How long can you protect you and yours with the ammo you have on hand?

I have well over a ton of ammo and am not near satisfied. I just bought reloading supplies and if more stock becomes available I will order another 30,000 rounds of 9mm/40 cal. I'm not thinking abou my next range trip I'm thinking how am I going to maintain proficiency with my pistol 20 years from now.

I just don't understand why people don't stock up when the supply chain is full. Do you not value your right to shoot? It's a bit ignorant to assume the shelves of wallmart will always be full of ammo. When you need the ability to protect your family the most you may only have what is on hand in your safe.

I could care less about my bank account or 401k. I would think most would have learned that the pupet masters can take all that from you anytime they want. For me to Know Guns is to Know saftey and Know peace. Without Ammo you have No guns, No safety, No peace. That's partially from big dudes sig BTW.
    so how many rounds is well over a ton? How many calibers? For most,if its between buying food or ammo, most will choose food. OMO
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array MotorCityGun's Avatar
    [QUOTE=RightsEroding;2531640]
    The OP is mistaken, That price is not for 50 rounds, its for the 100 round value pack from Federal.
    Here is what it looks like. I'm sure the shelves are empty and the OP did not see the 100 rounders on the shelves.

I hope you are right...I'll check again.
    Something sure seemed off kilter. Thanks.
    He is right. Which means that the price for 50 in this box is only $14. Not bad for 40SW rounds. If you did pay $27.97 for a 50 round BOX, then take your receipt back and get a refund.
    “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.” - Ben Franklin

NRA Life

I personally think the ammo shortage on most rounds will blow over with time. At least I hope so. My Walmart was totally out of 22 LR today along with most everything else except shotgun ammo. Panic buying is pushing the price of anything and everything associated with firearms through the roof.
    A lot of money is being made because of the panic and I am not one that is going to buy in to it. Does anyone really believe that the 22 LR round is going to be banned by the government ? I kind of doubt it, but a lot of people must think so for the sheves to be empty everywhere. I believe I have enough ammo for my rifles and handguns to defend my family. My quantities are in the hundreds of rounds, not in the thousands, and certainly not in the tons. OMO.
    Tankspop likes this.

This is why buying "Social Ammo" and reloading components over time at each paycheck has me well stocked with enough for me and my brother who does not reload, but buys into the supplies. Been doing this for many years well before the last 2 spikes in prices and dwindling supplies.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Ammo Prices: Yikes!

The OP is mistaken, That price is not for 50 rounds, its for the 100 round value pack from Federal.
    Here is what it looks like. I'm sure the shelves are empty and the OP did not see the 100 rounders on the shelves.

I don't know why everyone is complaining. For a box of 100 here it's always been $34. I would love to have that $27 price tag for .40. I always just buy online because of it.

I haven't seen any price hikes firsthand. The issue is finding the stuff on the shelves! BUT I did go to a store yesterday and found 7.62x39 ON SALE for $4.49/box. In stock and on sale, why I couldn't ask for anything more! I picked up the 10 box limit and grabbed two $10 boxes of 9mm to top it off. I have also seen thousands of rounds of PMC Bronze .223 on one store's shelf for the pre-panic price of $8.99/box.

Maybe I am just lucky where I live, but the only hikes I have seen are pictures online.
    "It is your evil that will be sought by us. With every breath we will hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood, until it rains down from the skies. Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles that every man from every faith can embrace." -McManus twins Boondock Saints

Quote Originally Posted by 45ACP4ever View Post
    I haven't seen any price hikes firsthand. The issue is finding the stuff on the shelves! BUT I did go to a store yesterday and found 7.62x39 ON SALE for $4.49/box. In stock and on sale, why I couldn't ask for anything more! I picked up the 10 box limit and grabbed two $10 boxes of 9mm to top it off. I have also seen thousands of rounds of PMC Bronze .223 on one store's shelf for the pre-panic price of $8.99/box.

Maybe I am just lucky where I live, but the only hikes I have seen are pictures online.

I would say that you are very lucky there. I haven't seen any 7.62 mm or 9 mm on shelves here in Oklahoma. In fact someone told me that people are lining up at Academy on the mornings that their shipments come in to get it right off the pallets. I was in an Academy here last week and the shelf lables were missing where some of the 380 ACP's boxes were suppose to go. I mentioned it to an associate and he said "Really no need for lables right now, most of the rounds get sold before they even get to the shelf."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links