Ammo Prices: Yikes!

This is a discussion on Ammo Prices: Yikes! within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was at Walmart this evening. Check out this for a box of 50. I bought the same garbage for range plinking last week for $18.97! ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ammo Prices: Yikes!

Distinguished Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Was at Walmart this evening.
    Check out this for a box of 50.
    I bought the same garbage for range plinking last week for $18.97!20130106_173345.jpg

On a brighter note, they seem to be re-supplied at the moment of the Winchester white box for 35 bucks.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

VIP Member
    That's what panic buying and hording leads to. My local Wally's was completely out of all
    pistol ammo last week except for .22Mag. My LGS had not .380 for the range.

It is our fault. Price will follow supply and demand. When folks can't get what they need, or refuse to pay
    the high price, the price will fall unless it is the manufacturers colluding together to cause the shortages; and I don't think
    that is the case.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 6th, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: changed the word "too" to "together"
    glockman10mm and oneshot like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've been been reloading up all the empty brass I have on hand during this hoarding madness. I need to order some 9mm cast bullets but wanting for the credit card billing cycle to end. Too much Xmas stuff on it!

The local GS still had primers on hand but not the powder I wanted. 9mm ammo was $15.95, up from the $11.95 it was a month or so ago.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Thats the price here where I live everyday for that ammo in the value packs, but our walmarts have been sold out for weeks now ..

I don't reload.
    Wonder if I should buy up the white box at 35 bucks/100 while I can?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

VIP Member
    Do you need it at $35/100?
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Moderator
    At some point in time...yall are gonna say...

"I remember when a box of 50 was only a dollar a round".
    CDW4ME likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was looking at Walmart for my first few rounds of .45 ammo and saw 20 rounds for 25-30 o.O
    When life gives you lemons, Open a lemonaid buisness.

Senior Moderator
    It is our fault. Price will follow supply and demand. When folks can't get what they need, or refuse to pay
    the high price, the price will fall unless it is the manufacturers colluding together to cause the shortages; and I don't think
    that is the case.
    No..it is not "our" fault.

It is the "fault" of those that are too preoccupied to pay attention to current events.
    I'ts the fault of those that see the world through rose colored glasses.
    It's the fault of people that refuse to see what is evident to many.
    It is the fault of those that think it cant happen here...only to wake up an realize that it is happening.

None of my friends went out and "hoarded" ammo. They are all without fail, are mildly amused at the situation.

These are but the small begginings of much worse things to come.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    $27.97 for a box of (50) 40 S&W is outrageous. I remember when I was a little ticked off a couple of months ago because my WM had it for $17.97. Earlier in the year, it had been $14.96.

I went to WM tonight, mine only has one box of 40 S&W left. They had a couple of boxes of 9mm but it was PPU and I didn't get any b/c I wasn't familiar with the brand.

Got to agree with hotguns here. For months I have been working all the OT I can and putting all the funds toward ammo. The easiest way to institute gun controll is through ammo. Good for those that bought 6 AR-15 with 100 pmags. Unless they have 30,000 rounds to back it up I say that was money foolishly spent. I'd rather have a baseball bat than an AR-15 without ammo. How many bats can you buy for $1500?

People assume we can put the government in check with the second amendment. Sure there are over 300,000,000 gun owners in the states but as we see the majority are dependent upon the supply chain. If the government wants to shut that down they can. How long can you protect you and yours with the ammo you have on hand?

I have well over a ton of ammo and am not near satisfied. I just bought reloading supplies and if more stock becomes available I will order another 30,000 rounds of 9mm/40 cal. I'm not thinking abou my next range trip I'm thinking how am I going to maintain proficiency with my pistol 20 years from now.

I just don't understand why people don't stock up when the supply chain is full. Do you not value your right to shoot? It's a bit ignorant to assume the shelves of wallmart will always be full of ammo. When you need the ability to protect your family the most you may only have what is on hand in your safe.

I could care less about my bank account or 401k. I would think most would have learned that the pupet masters can take all that from you anytime they want. For me to Know Guns is to Know saftey and Know peace. Without Ammo you have No guns, No safety, No peace. That's partially from big dudes sig BTW.
    gallardo.g23 likes this.

The OP is mistaken, That price is not for 50 rounds, its for the 100 round value pack from Federal.
    Here is what it looks like. I'm sure the shelves are empty and the OP did not see the 100 rounders on the shelves.

Re: Ammo Prices: Yikes!

I refuse to buy above a certain price. I've bought here a little, and there a little, for the last couple of years, so I'm good to go for a while.

It's all the reactionary folk that waited too long that are in panic buying mode.

Some people must've been living under a rock if they're surprised by all this.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    RightsEroding and Fisher10 like this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by GetSmith View Post
    How long can you protect you and yours with the ammo you have on hand?
    Depends how much "They" are willing to pay.

Do you need it at $35/100?
    Sitting pretty good with what I have; but I can never have enough...kinda' like money.

VIP Member
    "How long can you protect you and yours with the ammo you have on hand? "

How long do I need to? As long as I keep one box on hand they're protected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links