.25 auto

This is a discussion on .25 auto within the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The BG will probably die right away, but then again he could go a slow painful scary death. Shock of being shot kills a lot ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: .25 auto

VIP Member
    The BG will probably die right away, but then again he could go a slow painful scary death. Shock of being shot kills a lot of folks also.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

2. Remove Ads

here we go again, beating up on the 25 acp. many mango season ago, back in the 70's/80's i carries a beretta 950 jetfire as my "bug" on the job. during that time there was no such a thing as a pocket gun. not like it is today with the new pocket rockets. i have seen first hand what a 25 acp can do. all the bad guys and dirt bags carried them so i got first hand views of what they can do. i have seen one shot kills with the 25 acp. i have seen what several hits from a 25 acp can do,, make a mess. is the 25 acp the best gun to carry? hard to say now with the other pocket rockets on the market. but getting back to the ammo question. i carried a fmj ammo that had a bb in the tip. it was a power ball type of ammo. it would go through a 1/2 inch plywood plus with no troubles. now they have better ammo for the 25 acp. remember you are not going to be in a tv/movie gun fight. you need a gun that you will carry on your person at all times, a gun that will fire a full mag as fast as you pull the trigger without problems. and one reload that you can fit in your pocket.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Funny, but inaccurate. The man who was perhaps the most prolific executioner of all time did his work with .25 Walthers:
    Worldohistory: Vasili Mikhailovich Blokhin - Mass Murderer
    That's swell but there's a huge flipping difference between "executing" defeated POWs and stopping an armed, aggressive BG intent on doing you in. No one's stating a .25 ACP can't be lethal, just that it's sadly short of any realistic expectation of stopping power.
    OldCavTrooper likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    Not for me.
    Good luck with your quest though

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    That's swell but there's a huge flipping difference between "executing" defeated POWs and stopping an armed, aggressive BG intent on doing you in. No one's stating a .25 ACP can't be lethal, just that it's sadly short of any realistic expectation of stopping power.
    Actually, the quote I was responding to did say that.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Sellier and Bellot seems to do OK in my Jetfire. JHP is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Look for a S&B 25 acp test soon. I wouldn't stand in front of it.
    Author of the Pocket Guns and Gear blog. Stop by for a peek at http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com

FMJ in the .25

My wife has a PT25. She has shot all of my other guns 9mm, .380, .40.... She likes the feel of her .25 and is accurate with it. If she's ok, I'm ok with it. It's a really fun gun to shoot, but the ammo is a bit pricey compared to the others.

No matter what caliber gun you may use against a BG..... Be prepared for "Plan-B".

Quote Originally Posted by M.A.N View Post
    whats the best .25 ammo for concealed carry?

Best ammo is "Cranium 25 acp" - apply six doses

Anything you have will do a 25 is what it is I have one and have used it as a CC.
    Already know in my mind if I must use it I will empty it in BG but not concerned about it

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    As Jeff Cooper said once. If you must carry a .25 carry it empty. If you carry it loaded you may be tempted to shoot it, and if you shoot it, you MIGHT hit someone, and if you hit someone you will make them very angry and they will hurt you worse than if you didn't shoot them. As for little guns I have a Ruger LCP in .380 ACP, but that is the absolute smallest I would recommend. A small 9mm is much better.
    You left out the last part of his quote. Something about where the BG would put it.
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

I had Speer Gold Dot hollow points for my 25 auto when I used to carry it years ago. I bought that gun used from a GS just because I wanted one to add to my collection.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The first rule in a gun fight is....... Bring a gun!
    Al tho the 25 is not much of a gun, If you are aiming it at me I'm moving! Before I could afford a better gun I carried a 25. DR

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M.A.N View Post
    whats the best .25 ammo for concealed carry?
    I had a .25 ACP once, and when I carried it I would always use ball ammo to get the most penetration as possible. A larger caliber would be best, but I don't think anyone here would jump at the chance to stop a .25 round either. Just saying.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

I load the Winchester XP in any .25 I might carry. My wife carries one (a Seecamp) as her BUG with the same load.

The best argument for SP or JHP ammo in the .25 is that it digs into bone and is less likely to bounce off of the skull, which is where you should be aiming.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

All that I've read leads me to believe a FMJ is best suited when using a small caliber defense weapon.
    How about Fiocchi 50 grain FMJ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links